Darkside Illegal in CA

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I'm already running illegal aux brake lights, a GPS that is considered a "distraction" in NH, and I regularly exceed the mfg's weight rating. I'm sure not going to lose sleep over the best rear tire I've used being questionable in CA.
+10 on that.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
There 55MPH speed limit for trailers dang near ot me killed last year...but that would be a whole other thread...
I was pulling my Uni-Go trailer last month though Cali, I was wondering if this applyed to me.
I could'nt imagine the Trucks and Auto with trailers doing 75-80 MPH and me with my single tire trailer doing 55 MPH.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I was pulling my Uni-Go trailer last month though Cali, I was wondering if this applyed to me.
I could'nt imagine the Trucks and Auto with trailers doing 75-80 MPH and me with my single tire trailer doing 55 MPH.
Any trailer has a 55mph limit.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks Sennister,
Good info when you are towing. Just not sure how the LEO would process it in certain states, treat me the same as pulling a 52' trailer. I don't think a trailer is classed as a vehicle as one states calls it.

OP
OP
TinyL

TinyL

Wingin It
Bike
2010 Wing
STOC #
Yep, trailer law was Cali only thing. Bringing back girlfriends trike with trailer last year, got pulled over and given a ticket for it. 70 in ago 65...but 55 for trailers. Had only been on the hwy for approx 5 miles. Did not matter that I flew into the state and was not familiar with that law, nor did I pass a sign stating that before getting pulled over. 425 dollar fine. Did not have the time to fly back and fight he ticket...I fly for free, so I considered it!

Had a car fly up behind us while doing frigin 55...don't know how fast he was going, but he skidded approx 3 second raising smoke from his car tires. After my orifice unclenched he managed to slow to 55 a couple feet from the back of the trailer. From what I gathered from the CHP the law is for emissions and fuel conservation...not safety. Now them are priorities! Better we get killed than burn to much gas! Of course this was just the comment of the officer that pulled me over.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Thanks Sennister,
Good info when you are towing. Just not sure how the LEO would process it in certain states, treat me the same as pulling a 52' trailer. I don't think a trailer is classed as a vehicle as one states calls it.
Also keep in mind that the web site was just a guide. These laws change all the time and it is tough to keep them updated. I was mainly pointing out that the laws with trailers differ by state.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
We all seem be so stuck on the fact that some are running car tires on their Bikes.. Ok maybe this not right..But if we truly want to split hairs here.. What about the fact no one makes a tire approved for the ST other than Bridgestone.. Running a tire by another make or size could be ultimately be denied a claim by an insurance company. Running an over sized rear tire could be in the same situation also. The F code tire is made specificity for the ST and the use of any other tire should and could be considered unsafe and untested....... Untested is really the question and as we all know, they are not going to do it.. If it becomes illegal, it wont be the first time or last time I do something illegal to a car or motorcycle..

The more we bring this to light the better chance someone will react to this.. I am done talking about it.. Silence might just be the best thing we can do to keep this in the dark...

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Bike
2006 ST1300
I think we may be reading this wrong. I can't imagine this limit would be put on motorcycles. Compare it to other motorsports- CA is the custom vehicle capital of the world. CA, and every other state, allows- to a certain extent (CA is actually one of the most free)- modifying vehicles. Trucks can be lifted or lowered. Cars and trucks have custom suspension fabricated, sometimes by skilled people, sometimes by back yard butchers. Frames are cut, modified, and welded. Tires fitted which are literally two times the original height that came on the vehicle (and often even larger). And all of this is legal. Custom bike shops start with a pile of metal and fabricate choppers that sometimes barely resemble a motorcycle. Parts are used which were never intended for a motorcycle. Bikes built with engines from other bikes, cars, and even helicopters...all legal. And they set the limit at using a non-motorcycle specific rear tire??? I really find that hard to believe.

I also find it hard to believe that it could pass muster in any court, to allow a private company to impost laws and restrictions on vehicles, without going through a voting process.

Having given it more thought, I really think people are reading the wording wrong. I think the wording simply allows CA legislators to look at outside studies and suggestions before making THEIR OWN LAWS. And if there is no law specifically stating that a non motorcycle tire can not be used on a motorcycle, then enjoy your darkside tire.

Insurance companies are an entirely different situation- they are private companies, and have the right to limit just about anything they want. We are also free to choose a different insurance company if we don't like what they limit.

Top Bottom