Dash Cam?

clicker666

2005 ST1300
Bike
2005 ST1300
I personally think such a continuous recording camera is more detrimental to your/my case than beneficial, except in rare instances.
These cameras are hugely popular in Russia due to the booming fake accident business. If they were more of a detriment it's highly unlikely they would be as popular as they are. Here's a link to a recent story from New Zealand, where dashcams are becoming quite popular. http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/64892821/the-rise-of-dashcams-in-new-zealand

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Bike
Vstrom 650
I chose not to have continuous recording as any of the video stored, prior to an accident,
Hi so how have you the drift set up? I know it has the tag feature but if you were to have an accident would you remember or be able to press the tag button? I have it recording continuously,then couldn't I just put the few mins of (hopefully never) any accident footage onto a memory stick to use as eveidence,assuming I'm in the right of course:)

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I know the video would be useful in many situations to prove someone ELSE is guilty of an infraction...
Only if the camera features GPS and G-sensor tracking, and even then it still depends on the insurance-expert (or even a judge) to accept or actually question the data & footage of that kit as legally valid evidence...
And you can be sure that the insurance-expert and/or legal protection lawyer of your opponent will start to dispute the camera data over not being an officially calibrated instrument (like speed cams/guns), etc...
So whatever that film shows must be beyond any doubt...

if 10 mins prior to that you were speeding or doing something it might be used against you and the system gets 2 for the price of 1... I don't know if that would work that way.
That would be the case if the kit gets confiscated and its content examined by law enforcement, dunno about the legal situation in the US (But methinks LEOs there have just ALL rights and can do whatever they see fit ...).
Such could happen if you're incapacitated after a crash or such...
But then again a LEO could also simply confiscate your GPS at any time to get a hold of the recorded tracks, which as well log all speeds over ground including location/roadway and time code, to cite you for violations that had happened last week or so...
Fortunately that idea hasn't rooted within the authorities... yet... ;-)

I have a go pro and use it occasionally for scenic videos.. If I commuted more I probably would find a way to video every day just-in-case I needed some evidence but around here you almost have to ride outside the limits to keep from getting run over...
A GoPro isn't much help in that as it lacks GPS tracking and G-Sensor readings... at max it has a time code... dunno if that would be sufficient to be used as legal evidence for a crash investigation...
Real dash-cams produce loops, like the last 3 minutes are being kept, overwrite protected only if you push a button or the G-sensor logs an incident, otherwise the tracks will be automatically overwritten...
They also come/feature a computer program, enabling to read the stored loops while putting the GPS info on-screen, producing a video file with location, direction, speed, etc...

OP
OP
vinny
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I chose not to have continuous recording as any of the video stored, prior to an accident, can be used by another's attorney to prove anything about your pattern of riding, 'demonstrating' that you were up to "hooligantics" at the time.

I've made a number of videos of my rides, showing them to my wife and family, and their reaction and hesitant question every time is "How fast were you going?!"--even my family, who generally trust me, at that moment wonder about my riding ability and decisions.

The video from these cameras, given their spherical lenses and optical distortion, give the illusion of great speed and often crossing lines on the road--for the uneducated jury (or judge or other non-rider and non-video expert), prior to an accident the video will convince a lot of folks that you/I were breaking the law frequently up to the accident, casting serious doubt on my/your case. I personally think such a continuous recording camera is more detrimental to your/my case than beneficial, except in rare instances.
I understand what you're saying, but disagree in general terms. Not saying I never break the law... an occasional burst can liven things up a little, but for the most part, I try to behave on two wheels. As I get older, my riding style has moderated towards not being in much of a hurry (at least on the Wing)... the darn ST will get me in trouble ;). At the risk of wimping myself out... I haven't done a wheelie, stoppie, stood on the seat, or any other hooligan type behavior... besides the occasional burst of speed since I was 18.
When you think about how distracted folks are now a days with all the gadgets available, someone just swerving over the center line can cause you much harm either by hitting you or forcing you off the road.I'm really thinking about installing two cameras eventually... one forward facing and one rear facing. Why rear facing, you ask. Well consider the instance when you may be forced off the road, some states, cars/trucks are not required to have a front plate, the rear camera may just identify the vehicle.
As of late, I haven't had an occasion where I had to try and prove my innocents... having proof in the right circumstances the other party is at fault... could save "your insurance costs" and also save some huge medical bills in some cases.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Good vid. Liked all those "rolling stops". They let you do that in PA w/out going to jail?
In CA those are often called Hollywood Stops and I've heard some out of staters call them CA Stops. My own observations are that most motorcyclists I see don't do a legal stop unless there's cross traffic or they're on Wings. The operative word being "most". And as stop sign violations go that's pretty minimal. The bigger ticket getter out here would be the double yellow line violation.

Just remember, it can work against you just as much as for you...
1+ Not that you shouldn't get a dash cam it's just something to remember. It might make a better rider out of us.

but, if 10 mins prior to that you were speeding or doing something it might be used against you and the system gets 2 for the price of 1.
A lot could depend on where you are and whether the offense is a crime or an infraction. The real problem would be if it was admitted as evidence in a jury trial. What happened 10min before is usually not evidentiary in many situations. Driving carelessly 10min before doesn't mean you were at the time of a crash. If a jury sees that they could and sometimes do vote with emotion over rule of law.

Only if the camera features GPS and G-sensor tracking,
Maybe where you are but here are plenty of situations where that would not be true here. I agree about the opposition trying to raise objections and if successful the judge wouldn't allow it to be entered.

Very little is engraved in stone. Sure there are some rider who will never break the law so should have no fear of self-incrimination. For others it may be something to ponder. In the event of a crash a camera could probably be seized for an investigation but it might require a warrant to examine the video. That would probably be easy to get.

You play the odds every time you walk out the door whether you're on four wheels or two. Odds are? variable.

As far as cameras go seeing the Other Guy's face is problematic for a number of reasons. I'd want a camera that's pretty clear and can resolve a license plate easily even though that doesn't put the driver or rider behind the wheel or bars.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well, the good part is most can use a micro sd card and they are a lot easier to eat than a hard drive...

Have to side with Vinny on most of these points, If I am at fault so be it, would go a long way resolving the he said she said question, and I can't recall a ticket that I have ever gotten that I did not deserve. Vinny as said earlier I have several (mostly just gadgets to mess with)and use two in the auto, one forward one rear. Kinda like insurance, Hope I do not need it but have it when i do.

Bike
ST1300A (2002)
Have mount a Roadhawk Ride on the ST (installation here) but due to the windscreens coating coming off I have helmet mounted mine.

The camera is a 720P camera and does the job. Works well on a helmet, but only lasts about 1hr 30 mins up there. Longer rides will require the power from the bike (hence the dash mount).

There is a new version which is 1080p and costs about ?50 more.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Have mount a Roadhawk Ride on the ST (installation here) but due to the windscreens coating coming off I have helmet mounted mine.

The camera is a 720P camera and does the job. Works well on a helmet, but only lasts about 1hr 30 mins up there. Longer rides will require the power from the bike (hence the dash mount).

There is a new version which is 1080p and costs about ?50 more.

From the on-bike video that you posted at that link, it looks like the 720p works great. I like it, especially since it is waterproof and will turn on automatically if externally powered.

Amazon has them for $245 .

The only thing I would like to see incorporated is the ability to record location, but that's a lot to ask for such a small package. The Cobra CDR 840 has GPS location ability but it is much bigger and is not waterproof. It is also less expensive at $149.

Last edited:
Top Bottom