Dash cams

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Been looking at dash cams over on Amazon, anyone running them on your bikes? Any recommendations on brands?

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
What are you trying to accomplish with the camera? vlogging, ride capture and video sharing, insurance backup??

Other thoughts are capture area - front, rear, both, 360*??

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
What are you trying to accomplish with the camera? vlogging, ride capture and video sharing, insurance backup??

Other thoughts are capture area - front, rear, both, 360*??
Loop recording, front and back, mainly for insurance and stupid drivers.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
I run dash cams on all my vehicles for insurance and accidents. I have turned in 2 or 3 for vehicles that have been wrecked around me. I installed the INNOVV K3 - review and video samples here. Still working well! Only one mishap, I think it glitched shutting down and it drained my battery one time.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/innovv-k2.174664/#post-2311015

Just a note, I have not tried any other options, so I am sure there are better options out there. This one was at least known to the group though and seems to work fairly well. :)

Ryan

Bike
2010 ST1300
I run the INNOVV K2 because of @SupraSabre’s recommendation. I have not yet needed the video but I have front and rear. 120 degree viewing from each camera. DVR automatically loops and records over older material using a micro SD card. Only drawback so far is that if I am off the bike more than 2 weeks I need to disconnect the battery or the camera will drain it. Also, don’t forget your wifi password for the camera or you must reformat your sd card. DAMHIK

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
Viofo do their MT1 front/rear system too. Similar to most of the others it seems. The firmware on these is editable though to squeeze a bit more video quality out of them.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Only drawback so far is that if I am off the bike more than 2 weeks I need to disconnect the battery or the camera will drain it.
On my INNOVV, I can go into the app on the phone and turn off Park Mode. This will stop the drain on the battery when not in use. Park mode is a parasitic drain and is really only there if you want to see if the bike gets bumped. It will get triggered and turn on. But it will always have that drain.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Insta360 One X2... It's the bomb! I haven't had a chance to use mine yet, but I've seen others videos, and it's just an amazing camera!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I will get the 360 camera later, but that's not a camera you can leave on the bike all the time for traffic / incidents like the Innovv.
The Innovv can be used for scenics and travel photos, too, but it's always on (if you set it up) to constantly monitor what's going on.
The Insta has to be turned on each time, so that means extra steps and extra prep. And you will have to remember to keep it charged, and remember to bring it with.
Apples and bananas, in the current context.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Here is a video of the usage of an insta360 in action on a motorcycle.
He does a good job with editing his Insta360 video, but the footage (which it's really not, in the digital age - footage was used with "real" film) is not edited like normal video. The files are much larger, and many non-linear editors still are not capable of dealing with 360. Each 360 camera manufacturer basically includes their own NLE where the viewpoint must be selected; you can capture everything, but you can't actually show everything to the viewer.
So editing the two formats is not really equal, and that is a consideration. Also, in the linked YouTube, he is upset that the GoPro failed. Understandable. But isn't it possible that the Insta could have failed,, instead? Of course it is.
The current cameras - GoPro Hero 11 now, and the Insta360 X3 - are close in price.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I use the Innovv K3 and it works great for me. I disconnect the power plug if I'm not going to ride for a long time so it won't drain my battery down too much.
The only issue I have is not with the camera but my dashcam software in that I can't string together multiple videos into one long video of my ride. I use DashCam Viewer and it's supposed to have that ability but I can't seem to get it to work. This matters because I was witness to an accident at a stop light which occurred over two segments. I ended up giving one of the parties the two video segments so they could fit them together if they wanted.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I think unless you purchase DashCam viewer you really cannot do much other than view the video files. Also I think DashCam view is the only one that will let you see the GPS data, speed and route info. That data is imbedded into the video file. Although with the free version I think you can export the GPS data to a GPX file, but it seems to me I had to do a modification to the file so I could read it.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have the Innovv K3 installed. They have a better shut down procedure than earlier incarnations of the K3, and have very little drain when the ignition is turned off. However, I have had one unexplained flat battery, the cause of which I cannot find. I have left the camera plugged in for weeks in the garage with no drain enough to prevent starting. But I suspect that if you start up the bike and then turn it off before the camera has gone through its initialisation, it may well stay on. However, I have tried to reproduce this and I cannot. I know this behaviour happened with a previous bullet camera, and it sometimes does it with the Zumo. But I cannot pin my flat battery down to the Innovv Camera.

It is nice kit. The sound is a bit ropy though compared to other cameras. Video records lat/long, time, date and speed. Speed is a bit off compared to satnav speed, and all of these can be turned on or off. Tech support is pretty good too.

Finding a location for cameras, GPS, control unit and wiring it all in is a long job. I have it connected tot he battery - but via a plug/socket. It needs to have power to shut down properly and commit the last 10 minutes recording to the memory card. It starts that when you turn off the ignition. It completes the job within a minute or two. SO if I am away from home, I do everything else that I have to do after stopping the bike, and then unplug the connector. That disables recording in case of the bike getting knocked though.

Recorded files are a maximum of 10 minutes. It then creates a new file. Files are named according to date and time and front /rear. Both front and rear files have the same name and start and stop at the same point of the jorney. At the file changeover, there is no gap - in fact there is a second or so of overlap - so that last second or so at the end of one 10 minute file is repeated at the start of the next 10 minute file. Files can be in one of two formats, one of which is mp4.

I have mounted my front camera onto the bottom of the outside of the windscreen. I drilled a hole. It is quite steady there and moves up and down with the screen, but it makes very little difference to the image (surprisingly). (I practiced on an old screen first).

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Mine do not use any power at all when the bike is turned off because no power is supplied to them.

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
On my VFR1200X, I just chuck a GoPro 8 on, in front of the satnav. It looks through the windshield but I'm going to reposition the mount in front of the bike.

05.jpg

Top Bottom