Dash clock won’t stay set.

As of lat the clock on my dash won’t hold time.
sometime even just at a fuel stop it has lost its setting

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Your battery is on its way out.
+1

Battery technology is not rocket science. Batteries are a "commodity" item, meaning that you can buy pricey ones for a lot of money, or generic batteries for half the price. I've purchased my last two batteries at Battery Mart. $49.

Chris

Start with a battery check, Put a volt meter on the Battery and crank the engine, if it goes down below 9.5 volts it is dumping the memory. A bad battery is hard on the starter too. Or cheat and take it to a auto parts store, with hopes that the guy using the tester know how to use the equipment.
If that checks out, head to the wiring diagram and trace the wiring looking for a bad connection, I recommend starting at the component that is failing while checking for a voltage drop while in operation. What I do is put the positive lead on the positive battery connection and use the negative as a probe. If you get a low reading that will tell you the circuit is ok. If you get a high reading that will tell you you have a bad connection.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
As of lat the clock on my dash won’t hold time.
sometime even just at a fuel stop it has lost its setting
The clock only needs about 2ma @ ~12V to keep time. When you see it reset after starting your engine that the battery giving everything it's got to start the bike leaving nothing for the clock.

Were it me I'd look at the battery terminals and make sure they're clean and tight. Good enough to get me to the shops for a new battery. Or order one online.

I see an inconvenient walk in your future. Or a new battery.

Top Bottom