Dash Shelf Options - which is better and stronger?

abhijitz

Radiuz
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Just went through many posts and threads and researched over the internet. Here are the options available for a clean design and look

1. TurboCity Left and Right Dash Mounts ~ 90$
2. Roy Fletcher Dash Shelf ~ 90$ [just received the updated price from Roy]
3. BLM Accessories Dash Shelf ~ 100$
4. Buck Sport Touring Dash Shelf ~ 100$

--> TT option is neat, looks great and easy to install 2 devices [although attaching ram mounts and other fabrication will allow more devices to be attached]

--> Roy Fletcher Dash Shelf and BLM Accessories Dash Shelf looks the same in design.

--> Buck Sport looks different in design.

I prefer to choose the dash shelf, since i want to mount a 6" led-tube under the shelf. Also want to hang off tiny speakers under the shelf.

Now, which of these 3 dash shelves is the best in support/doesnt wiggle too much on slight goaty roads or under spirited speed.

Last edited:

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
I can't speak for the others, but I've got a Fletcher shelf and it's worked great for me. Pretty easy to mount and very solid. Holds my GPS and radar detector nicely. I've got my gear indicator mounted under it as well. Not too sure about mounting a lot of other stuff under it (e.g. speakers) as they may interfer with reading your gauges.

John

OP
OP

abhijitz

Radiuz
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Thats amazing !!!

Are the bases of the GPS and Sportline timers just velcroed to the shelf ?

Curious - Why do you have 3 of the sportline timers?
- Why are all the units daisy chained with flat ties and hooks?
The Ham Radio on the left is mounted on a RAM 'arm' (2 inches long), the GPS 60C is mounted the same way except a 3 in long Ram arm. The stop watches are velcroed to a metal 'bar' that is mounted to 2" Ram arms. BTW, the velcro is the 'super lock' type that is extremely strong.

The stopwatches have the original 'straps' still attached for when I need to take them off for stationary work; I work at some bike races as an Official (ref). When there is a break away with several riders in between, or the break is a LONG one, we have several watches running at one time. Then, if I'm doing something like a Time Trial, I may not be on the motorcycle and need my stop watches, hence, the straps to hang around my neck.

Now you can see why I wanted the shelf with the brackets that mount underneath.:D

OP
OP

abhijitz

Radiuz
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
For the Roy Fletcher or BLM dash shelves, will this be an issue with the support brackets underneath? the space between the levers and the dash is very less either side. [pictures attached]

OP
OP

abhijitz

Radiuz
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
The Roy Fletcher dash shelf also has brackets to mound underneath for support. Is there a reason why you chose the BLM dash shelf over the Roy Fletcher one ?

Now you can see why I wanted the shelf with the brackets that mount underneath.:D

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I have the Roy Fletcher shelf (you'll also hear it referred to as "Ron Smith" - I think one guy built them and another sells them.) I really like it. It's solid, mounting to the top of the dash and supported by a brace on each side (as you can see in the photos.) I have MCL two-piece risers and a J&M CB2003 over the left grip, which required trimming a little off of the left side of the shelf. There was plenty of room, and it didn't get into the bracket. I have RAM balls bolted to the shelf for the GPS and radar detector. The SmartTire monitor sits on top, too. I don't think that there's room to mount anything under the shelf without obscuring your view of the instrument panel (unless you're really short; at 6'1" I just barely see the turn signal indicators.)

OP
OP

abhijitz

Radiuz
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
i read another post from hojo [was about to ask him the question what those LED's were for] and read another post on bucksport touring shelf. Looks like BLM shelf and Roy Fletcher shelf wins the race. {bucksport doesnt have a brace support and am bit skeptical on that}

I spoke to Roy Fletcher earlier today and he told me Ron Smith passed away some years ago :RIP He sells the shelves now.

Roginoz - Do you mind posting a picture of your dash shelf ? You also mentioned trimming the left shelf a bit, how much was it ? Found a post where the shelf was trimmed on the inside Ron Smith Shelf + Aeroflow Windscreen

Am 5'-6" and guess the shelf will not pose any problems viewing the dash .. i just want to mount a 6" LED light or tube, and the bright LED's for the radar.

I have the Roy Fletcher shelf (you'll also hear it referred to as "Ron Smith" - I think one guy built them and another sells them.) I really like it. It's solid, mounting to the top of the dash and supported by a brace on each side (as you can see in the photos.) I have MCL two-piece risers and a J&M CB2003 over the left grip, which required trimming a little off of the left side of the shelf. There was plenty of room, and it didn't get into the bracket. I have RAM balls bolted to the shelf for the GPS and radar detector. The SmartTire monitor sits on top, too. I don't think that there's room to mount anything under the shelf without obscuring your view of the instrument panel (unless you're really short; at 6'1" I just barely see the turn signal indicators.)

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
This is the only picture I have right now that shows the dash shelf. You may be able to see the trimmed area on the left when you click on the photo to enlarge it. It's the shiny line (yeah, I'll get around to painting the bare edge one of these days...) I clamped a piece of steel strap to the shelf with C clamps to serve as a guide, and used a cutoff wheel in a rotary file to make the cut (the shelf was already installed.) I only had to remove a small amount of material. If you use the one-piece risers, it may move the J&M back far enough that you don't need to trim the shelf. Likewise, it may not be necessary to trim it if you have the stock bars. In my case the J&M just barely touched the shelf. It probably wouldn't have been a problem, but I didn't want to risk banging it when pushing the bike around.

Attachments

OP
OP

abhijitz

Radiuz
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Thanks Roger !!

i have the MCL raisers below the stock handlebars. Not sure if i intend to install anything on the right handlebar as of now, maybe a Autocom system in future.

This is the only picture I have right now that shows the dash shelf. You may be able to see the trimmed area on the left when you click on the photo to enlarge it. It's the shiny line (yeah, I'll get around to painting the bare edge one of these days...) I clamped a piece of steel strap to the shelf with C clamps to serve as a guide, and used a cutoff wheel in a rotary file to make the cut (the shelf was already installed.) I only had to remove a small amount of material. If you use the one-piece risers, it may move the J&M back far enough that you don't need to trim the shelf. Likewise, it may not be necessary to trim it if you have the stock bars. In my case the J&M just barely touched the shelf. It probably wouldn't have been a problem, but I didn't want to risk banging it when pushing the bike around.

Bike
ST1100 2002
#3 cuz that is what I have! :D I also like the idea that it has the brackets to help support it.

Here is what I put on mine

http://motohojo.smugmug.com/Other/Moto-Events/6767926_yBwfM#433413221_QABvm-A-LB
Holy snikees, and I used to worry about people texting? How do you see around all that, is that a kitchen sink I see? And I used to think people rode bikes for the freedom, wind in the hair, to get away from it. Now I have to start all over and to be able to bring it all with me..........

Holy snikees, and I used to worry about people texting? How do you see around all that, is that a kitchen sink I see? And I used to think people rode bikes for the freedom, wind in the hair, to get away from it. Now I have to start all over and to be able to bring it all with me..........
All that stuff on the bike is used only when I Officiate at large bicycle races, like this weekend, the United States Professional Championship.

I have no problems seeing over every thing, I'm 6', the seat is set at the highest and then some, position. I don't 'text' while I drive, but I do talk on the cell phone, radio, and also write notes down on my pad (located on the tank bag), during the race. We have to have lots of 'notes' and communication to document when rules were broken.

River: As for the toaster oven, when it is a race in the summer, I can put my Subway sandwhich on the tank bag to heat it up, when it is in the cooler months, I can put my hot dog in the little cooker that is mounted to the muffler.

I have the MCL Risers on it and it does NOT cause any problems when turning, I can do my figure eight practice turns and turn the wheel handlebars all the way and never hit. It does, however, make me put my cup holder in a lower postion when I'm using one of those 3" Ram arm mounts, but I can still mount my cup holder to the brake reservoir.

Bike
sold dec 31 14
STOC #
I understand the 3 stop watches but 2 GPS' You must be directionally challenged.
Very Funny. Yep, 1 GPS is to tell me where to go and how to get there, the 2nd GPS is dedicated to the average speed and exact location data. This way I don't have to fiddle with the GPS while I am driving, I can use both hands to write down infractions and use my knees to steer the moto.:D

Top Bottom