Day 2 with the 1600 GTL

Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
BMW of Baton Rouge delivered my new 1600 this afternoon after putting in a new fuel pump. (old one seems to have gummed up while it sat on floor as 2012 model,least ways, that's Corey the Shop Managers theory)

This is now my first BMW, My first non-Honda, my first warranty repair and first time I have ever had a bike on a trailer:confused:

They had made a mistake during the paperwork and had denied the BMW "Emergency Services Discount" of $500 because they thought the April GPS and crash bars bonus disallowed it as a combination. Me being like I am, I called BMW North America and verified that I was able to have both so now I have a big credit at BMW of BTR to use :)

The actual bike is awesome, super smooth, handles very lightly compared to the ST-13 and with a little tinkering, will be as comfortable. ( I am getting a wind buffet with the shield at any position at 70 that I need to figure out). The stock lighting is very good, the LED driving lights really add to the visibility and the "point into the turn headlight is not a gimmick, it really helps.

The buttons on the other hand:eek:: I have been working on pairing the bike with my Sena and I have never spent so much time with a user manual open before in my life. Firmware upgrade, reconfigure settings using PC and then trying different orders of operation when installing the bike, intercom and phone paring. It can be done, I found the other folks that have done it, but I am still working on it. I can't even work the key fob clicker consistently, one time it locks the bike, the next time it just glows at me. I think I must be holding my head wrong.

As I type this, I am also updating the lifetime maps on the Navigator 4 and I am pretty impressed with the unit and the way it hooks into the bike, light years ahead of my 2720.

I still need to find out some stuff like can I just hook my regular old battery tender up direct to the battery or do I have to buy the expensive BMW one that hooks to the power outlet and what's the best solution for getting a few ram balls up onto the bars.

More to come as I start to learn things and break stuff...

Chris

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Cool, everyone is getting one! Well only you and Booger lately but still. Green with envy, enjoy the fun of a new bike, and what a new bike!

STOC #
Hey Chris. You're gonna love the new bike. Just put a lead directly to the battery for the tender. If you have any questions, just drop me a line.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Keep this going. I am seriously looking at the 1600GTL as my next bike....

OP
OP
clmixon
Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
OK, for those who said it didn't happen without pictures

8682343486_4758e1c777_c.jpg

8682343330_a64ac7e33a_c.jpg

I have some new questions.

Am I a "Beemer" or a "Bimmer" owner. I would not want to mess this up (I think it's Beemer)

Why do I need Gray Poupon, is that not French?

What is Farfegnugen and do I have that too?

Chris

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
But Andy, how would a Beemer ride with a loose axle nut?
Hmm, probably not as well as the ST as it only has one swing arm so a loose axle would probably be a bit more problematic. I learned my lesson, Coop!

OP
OP
clmixon
Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
Probably not. She has publicly stated that this bike better keep me out of the house this summer...:) I took her with me to the dealership with the idea that she would control my impulse shopping. NOPE!

Chris

Top Bottom