Dead Battery Insurance

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
After having some recent battery issues, I decided to stop at Cycle Gear last Saturday morning to get some dead battery insurance. It's the first time I've ever bought a set of motorcycle jumper cables to toss in the saddlebag and carry with me all the time, but at least now I can be confident of never again experiencing a dead battery on the road. :D

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Don't forget the extra bag key along with the cables.

Bike
2008 st 1300
i left my bike on the other day, dead in the water, this is my 3RD attempt to push start but this time I had a pretty good hill, my first to attempts were in 1 & 2 gear with know avail, so this time I put it in 3 & fired right up so to review you need some speed & def,. 3 gear.

OP
OP
Don B
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Don't forget the extra bag key along with the cables.
I've got that covered - carry a spare in my wallet. If I ever have so much money to carry that there's no room left for the key, could always carry the spare in the locking fairing pocket - I don't think the key would melt in there. :D

Bike
GL1800/ST1300A
STOC #
Alright, I admit it I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to all the electrical stuff on motorcycles.

I have a Gerbing battery harness on my ST so that I can plug my heated vest into it. It has a 15 amp fuse in it. I also carry the positive/negative clips from a battery tender in my bike along with a Gerbing controller adapter. If my bike or someone else's bike had a low battery, would I be able to jump/accept a jump using the battery harness/controller adapter and my clips? If not, then I'll remove the clips from my "stuff" that I carry.

Thanks,
Scott

OP
OP
Don B
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Scott,
you may as well remove the clips from the "stuff" that you carry. The starter on your ST or another bike you attempt to start from your battery will instantly blow that 15 amp fuse when the starter button is pressed. :(

Bike
GL1800/ST1300A
STOC #
Scott,
you may as well remove the clips from the "stuff" that you carry. The starter on your ST or another bike you attempt to start from your battery will instantly blow that 15 amp fuse when the starter button is pressed. :(

I kind of thought so, but seeing this thread I figured I'd ask. Thanks for the confirmation and the trouble of changing the fuse if I had attempted it.

The harness does work great for my Slime compressor though!

Scott

John

R.I.P. - 2024/01/22
Rest In Peace
Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
Scott,
Well, that shot my "bright idea" of making up a cable with SAEs on each end and additional ends to convert one or both back to clips.

How unwise would it be to wire the SAE direct to the battery with no fuse for jump starting purposes only?

STOC #
Well, that shot my "bright idea" of making up a cable with SAEs on each end and additional ends to convert one or both back to clips.

How unwise would it be to wire the SAE direct to the battery with no fuse for jump starting purposes only?

I once wired up an aux outlet to the battery on a car with no fuse. I figured that since it was a one time use thing, no big deal, right? That wire was the only one to get pinched to ground on one occasion, while working under the dash, and the insulation melted right off the wire. I was lucky that I didn't burn the car to the ground. Roll your dice.

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Connect your main front lights through a relay and use a switch to put them on and off...
My switch is in the RHS cubby hole...
Now it's Lights off, with the ignition on, (In most cases doing something else) = battery power level saved.
NB: When I pull away I switch the lights on.
I believe they wired them on permanently for the USA, but batteries are expensive and the ST is heavy...
And one more good tip: Buy the best (Highest) amp watt hour rated battery you can afford.
It does make a big difference in the lifespan of the battery.
I bought a cheap one (low amp hours) and suffered very soon, then did my switch conversion and put in a good battery and now it's been a long time and no problems battery wise.:beer3:

Top Bottom