Dead Battery? or...

Bike
2003 ST1300A
After snuggling my 3rd love into her heated garage for the winter it seems I may have left the ignition on and the battery charger plugged in, perhaps for a few weeks.

When I found her this way the other day she was dead, dead, dead. Still plugged in, no lights, no beeps, no clicks. I unplugged and re-plugged in the battery charger (Honda branded Optimate model) I left her for a day. Still nada.

I have not done any further looking yet and I'm looking for possible areas to check. In the interim I plan to:

1) Remove battery and test it.
2) With battery removed apply charger clips to wiring leads on the bike (is this a bad idea?) I do have a car charger that might provide better power. Or do this but do not try and start?
3) Visibly inspect what I can see from the open panel, etc.

Any there any areas I should be looking at for possible fried components?
Would this situation as described above have "burned out" the battery so badly that no power goes through it, even when plugged in?

Looking for suggestion.
Thanks.
Mike

Last edited:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Most likely your battery is dead, unless it was brand new when you did this. Don't try to start the bike off a charger. Probably will not work, not enough juice. If battery is over two years old....buy a new one. Not worth the hassle. Just my two cents....Todd

Reactions: Djc

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Do you have leads permanently attached to the battery for your battery charger? Is there an inline fuse?

I know from experience if you start your bike while attached to a maintainer, you will blow that fuse.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I wouldn't even bother pulling the battery to test it. Simply disconnect one of the leads and put a voltmeter across the battery. If it reads anything under a few volts, it is garbage. Discharging a battery all the way down will loosen some of the sponge lead from the plates and either decrease the battery capacity (which is marginal to begin with on our ST's) or kill the battery entirely. There was another thread like this recently, you can do a search for 'battery' in the search box, top right of this page.

Meanwhile, go to batteryuniversity.com and read more than you thought we knew about batteries.

Do not try to power the bike from a charger. Smart chargers will pulse to break up the sulfates that form on the lead plates, and this could damage some components. Regardless, starting a modern vehicle without a battery in place to absorb the voltage output of the alternator will damage computers and other electronic gear.

When you get your new battery, charge it fully before use, unless you buy it from a battery house that has done this (few do). A dry charged battery or one bought off the shelf from an auto parts store, walmart, or other big box store still needs a full charge before use. If you do not do this, you lose about 10% of the battery's capacity.

OP
OP
Mikedo
Bike
2003 ST1300A
Do you have leads permanently attached to the battery for your battery charger? Is there an inline fuse?

I know from experience if you start your bike while attached to a maintainer, you will blow that fuse.
Yes they are screwed on and I've done that too, so I won't try again. Thanks.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I unplugged and re-plugged in the battery charger (Honda branded Optimate model) I left her for a day. Still nada.
Those Optimates might not charge if the battery reads below a threshold voltage...
You might try to "kick" it first with an old fashioned charger, and let the Optimate then try his refresh circling again...

Bike
2004 ST1300
My 1100 refused to start one day after riding. Nada. Nothing. Battery read 12.5 volts but no crank of engine.
The battery dealer test result was battery done. They had one in stock. $110. It lasted longer (7 yrs) because of the smart charger. FWIW id just order a new battery Mike.
Good luck n Happy New Year.
Dave

Bike
2005 st1300
Those Optimates might not charge if the battery reads below a threshold voltage...
You might try to "kick" it first with an old fashioned charger, and let the Optimate then try his refresh circling again...
This has been my experience in the past as well

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
it seems I may have left the ignition on and the battery charger plugged in, perhaps for a few weeks... When I found her this way the other day she was dead, dead, dead. Still plugged in, no lights, no beeps, no clicks.
It'll be interesting to see if you can revive that battery. Even a brand new fresh battery will probably be toast when its bike is left with the IGN On. A brand new old school/new tech battery will go dead and be unable to start a 1300 in 10min or so. Connected to a tender of some nature will prolong the agony for a few— seconds most likely. Don't know about your specific unit but most tender types don't charger over 1A or so. Even at 2-3A that's much less than the headlights and all the other lights draw.

But maybe somehow someway your battery isn't suffering from diminished capacity or worse. But I wouldn't trust it.

So sure - pull the battery and test it. But don't bother putting in back in the bike.

Bike
st1300 vfr800
Mike I think if you have another battery 12 volts and hook it up with the charger your battery will come back up to full charge ,,just slow rate of charge .

OP
OP
Mikedo
Bike
2003 ST1300A
Thanks all so far. It is a .75 amp Optimate 3 from a few years ago (I believe, I'll check later).

I will put the car charger on the battery and see if I can get a base charge on it. Then switch back to Optimate. I am not hopefully, but this is a free test. I agree the battery is likely toast as I left the ignition on for such a long period. (I think I'll blame my wife as I've never done this before, it must have been her, not me).

In the end I can/will buy a new battery, but want to check all possible faults first.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
FYI If you would decide to replace your tender, the Schumacher charger/maintainer will charge a dead battery from zero volts.
I killed the two batteries in my diesel truck (I think my wife did it... following your lead). I hooked the Schumacher up and the next day it had both batteries (hooked up in parallel) charged enough to start the truck.
I'm currently alternating it back and forth between my bike and the deep cycle battery for my camper.

OP
OP
Mikedo
Bike
2003 ST1300A
FYI If you would decide to replace your tender, the Schumacher charger/maintainer will charge a dead battery from zero volts.
I killed the two batteries in my diesel truck (I think my wife did it... following your lead). I hooked the Schumacher up and the next day it had both batteries (hooked up in parallel) charged enough to start the truck.
I'm currently alternating it back and forth between my bike and the deep cycle battery for my camper.
I have that exact brand of charger now, good for AGM, gel, etc. Thanks.

OP
OP
Mikedo
Bike
2003 ST1300A
And I finally got around to troubleshooting this. Based on my lack of knowledge of how to use a voltage tester, and the fact the battery was definitely fried...I bought a new battery and installed it today. Started in about 2 seconds. Ran fine. The clock was however out of adjustment.

I did notice a small wisp of smoke coming from under the tank area. I'm sure if I just ride off in the spring I won't smell or notice it...that's the right thing to do, right?

New thoughts?

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I did notice a small wisp of smoke coming from under the tank area. I'm sure if I just ride off in the spring I won't smell or notice it...that's the right thing to do, right?
If it is electrical in nature I would disconnect the battery right a way, did the bike run long enough that it heated up enough to burn crap a mouse might have deposited on top of engine?

Whisker Bill

(Brian)
Site Supporter
STokes Bay, Ontario & migrating to Florida
Bike
2007 ST1300

New thoughts?
It’s never good when you let the smoke out!
The old Lucas bits were famous for letting the smoke out! :rofl1:
You need to find the hot spot, before you get to watch more smoke!
Brian

Top Bottom