Dealer Demo Day... Indian!

Horsehead

Slow Pokin' the Southeast
Bike
'01 ST1100
Well I really am so excited to be back into motorcycles and riding. I had almost forgotten how much fun it is and what a great community of folks make up the vast majority of this lifestyle we are all a part of.

Last weekend I got a notification on Facebook that the Indian dealership about 15 minutes from my house was going to be hosting the Demo truck and offering test rides to anyone that wanted to attend. I had done a Suzuki demo day probably around 8-9 years ago when i was still actively riding and remembered it was a lot of fun getting to try out several bikes that were a bit different from my personal machine. So even though I don't really have any desire to own a cruiser, I figured I'd head into town and give a few of their new offerings a once over. It doeant hurt that both my grandfather and my dad rode old Indians many years ago.

So I hopped on the ST11 and headed into town. There were several other folks there who all had the same.idea. Everyone was friendly and eager to talk about their experiences on the various bikes that Indian was offering. There were Harley riders, Sport Bike Risers, metric cruisers. You name it. Pretty much every type of bike except maybe ADV bikes were represented in the parking lot of attendees.

20210421_125515.jpg

20210421_125547.jpg

I've driven by this dealership countless times taking my daughter to ballet, but never once stepped inside. It's quite the place!

20210421_125951.jpg

Registration was super easy. Just show them your driver's license with valid motorcycle endorsement and sign the waiver. Then pick out which bike you'd like to ride first.

Partly because a lot of bikes were currently out with other test riders, and partly because I didn't want to go from the ST to a gigantic bagger first thing, I picked the FTR Carbon for my first test ride.

Summary- holy crap this thing is freaking amazing. Talk about a torque monster!!! You really had to be careful to keep that front wheel down, and equally careful not to grab too much front brake when taming the beast. It was incredible fun. Instant acceleration, easily gobbling up 30 - 40mph, even in 6th gear, in an instant. I could see this bike being a TON of fun on back country roads. The forward leaning posture really worked well to counteract the wind at 70-80mph. You felt almost weightless as the two forces opposed one another.

20210421_132253.jpg

When I got back to the dealership, everyone else was gone. And only one bike remained. So I guess I would be taking out a full dress bagger after al -- the Challenger. The difference between the two couldn't be more stark. Going from a sort of street fighter bike to this feltkke going from a bar stool to a couch. This bike was luxurious, comfortable, had every bell and whistle imaginable, but still had a ton of get up and go. The wind protection was quite nice on the highway after the FTRs naked frame.

20210421_135412.jpg

Back to the dealership to see what else there was. By now another group had come back, and I pretty much had the pick of whichever bike I wanted. I really wanted to try out one of their more classic cruisers, so I opted for the Chieftain Bobber. Again, holy crap can you say torque? This thing wanted to jerk you off the seat if you werent careful with the clutch. Lots of fun. But it had the least lean angle of any so far and I was scraping pegs without even meaning to. It also didn't have the advantage of the forward lean posture of the FTR to counteract the wind. I felt like I was going to get blown off the handle bars at highway speed.

20210421_144501.jpg

Funny thing happened on the way back to the dealership. I saw a familiar vehicle up ahead and lo and behold it was my wife headed into town! She managed to get a shot of me as me and another rider pulled away.

IMG_20210421_173433.jpg

Back at the dealership I had time for one more ride. There were only two bikes present to choose from. A scout and a Chieftain Dark Horse Thunderstroke edition. This bike has all the electronic bells and whistles, but also had a few performance upgrades. I must say, this one may have been my favorite. It had so much power it wasn't even funny, but it was comfortable. It was loud and obnoxious and blacked out. But man it just felt cool to be riding it. I told my wife later "I can see why so many middle aged men end up on something like this." It really does just make you smile.

20210421_151124.jpg

But, that bike was right at $29k. Don't get too attached...

So with that, I left. The ST11 felt like a nimble little sport bike compared to those baggers. And it's so much narrower between the legs. With my Heli Bars set how they are it also feels like a much more sport oriented posture. Needless to say, I had a blast but I was also happy to be back on MY bike for the ride home.

What do y'all think? Do you ever attend demo days for motorcycle brands / styles you can't afford / aren't actually interested in owning, or is it just me?

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Attended a few in Picton Ontario,Ride To Remember Events. For a biker no longer with us. Rode a couple of dry clutch Beemers,that led me to the st1300. Fun ,but too organized. Dry clutch not for me. Rode a Suzuki single cylinder pink colour cruiser don't no what.Had a blast- poor brakes ,reamed the hell out of it.Lots of fun at under 50 mph

Bike
2001 ST1100
I have gone on a few demo day rides. They are great!. But I haven't seen them around since the whole pandemic thing started.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Yes I been to a few. My local BMW dealer had their annual open house event and I signed up to ride a hex head RT. A nice bike except that dry clutch took some getting use to. Also the brakes were very touchy...almost like power brakes and the windscreen shook a little a stop light. The other experience was at an Indian dealer and I rode an upgraded engine Chieftain bagger. Real nice motorcycle except it was warm that day and the underside of my but was getting a little warm during some stop and go riding. Like you that torque down low like that was nice and I see why guys buy that type of bike. Like you on the way home I was still glad I kept my money in my wallet:)

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I dream of test riding a Roadmaster. The style makes me weak in the knees. I love it! But test riding is dangerous for me do. I have brought home too many cars that way!

OP
OP
Horsehead

Horsehead

Bike
'01 ST1100
I dream of test riding a Roadmaster. The style makes me weak in the knees. I love it! But test riding is dangerous for me do. I have brought home too many cars that way!
They had at least one Roadmaster, but it was pretty much always on the road when. I got back from my ride. I also didn't figure it was too much different than the other full dress baggers I had already rode to make it worth waiting around on.

I will say, this event was really fantastic how it was run. The last demo day I did we went out in groups all together, with the rep leading the pack. We rode at relatively slow speeds around a shortish loop back to the dealership. Today we went out on our own as often as we liked or with others if we wanted to. There was a "suggested demo route", but there was no one there to babysit you or get upset if you went a different way. But I suppose you were also SOL and on your own if something went sideways...

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
This is what I miss about Americade, and more to the point being an Americade staffer... the demo rides!!

Some of the wildest rides I've been on have been the after-hours demos for the staffers and the other demo teams. I was staff on the mini-tours, so our day ended long after all the demo sign-up slots were long gone. After a few years of reluctance by the manufacturers, they instituted "staff demos" which also included the other demo teams - ie: BMW and Honda would go out on each others' bikes along with Americade staffers. We'd typically ride about 20+ miles - much longer and more loosely policed - swap bikes and return.

One memorable BMW/Honda outing was when the CBR600F4i (aluminum frame) was new, along with the CB750 Nighthawk. I'd gone out on a BMW something, but switched to the CBR600F4i for the return. A couple of the younger BMW riders got on a couple of the Hondas, one of them a blonde female rider with a long braided ponytail on a 750 Nighthawk. They set out heading back to the rally headquarters at Roaring Brook Ranch and I and a fellow staffer set out in pursuit. Holy s%*$#!! There she and her partner were just swishing through the corners, hardly moving in their seats, ponytail swaying from side to side as they flew down Rtes 28 & 9 along the upper Hudson. I was flogging the bejeezus out of that CBR and they were disappearing beyond the next corner. I took a moment to glance at my speedo and I was hauling at over a ton and that was after backing off to take a look. Wow! Professional skills! (yes, I know it was reckless. No witnesses, statute of limitations, sue me)

Oh, back on topic... Thanks for pointing out the demos.

Indian and BMW will be at Pro Caliber Motorsports in Vancouver, WA on the weekend of May 14th to 16th (Indian Fr-Sa-Su, BMW Sa-Su).

Maybe see some of you there?

I participated in several Victory demo events, back in the day. Rode them all and couldn't find one I didn't like! I was so close to buying a new one when they made the announcement that they were over and done with. Sad news, but I try to tell myself that it made sense from a business perspective. Still not happy with how they ended things.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
But, that bike was right at $29k.
Which is why only middle-aged men are the ones so frequently seen on them. Well there's always the tech gurus and dope dealers. I see all three types on the weekends at Alice's Restaurant in Woodside CA. Most of them are driving exotics like Lambos Ferraris and McLarens.

The po' boys drive Porches. There's the odd Aston Martin and GT40 (no- not FordGT) but it's nothing like spots in L.A. Me I'd be happy with a 2020-21 Corvette.

And I do love big twin bikes.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I have participated in two demo rides and both were in PEI (Prince Edward Island) one was with Yamaha the other with Honda.
With Yamaha I was only interested in the FJR. It was a group ride, they had scouted out a good route and we were out for about 45 minutes and we had reached speeds of 160kph. The bike was nice. I then did the same route on my 1990 ST and it performed pretty close to the FJR. For me to spend 18k for performance upgrades that were slightly better than what I currently had, I really couldn’t justify.
The Honda demo was more controlled. I tried an African Twin with DCT and the F6. I was impressed with the DCT but really didn’t care for the twin. The F6 was bland. The pace set by the leader and the route was so sedate, that I really couldn’t get a good feel for either bike. At that time I had my 97 ABS and did the same route and it performed much better than the two I had just tried.
I do enjoy the demo days, it’s nice to try other bikes and compare the rides. Right now, the way my 2002ABS is set up, it does the job just fine for a fraction of the cost.
Thanks for the fine review of the Indians.

STOC #
Thank you for this posting. I visited my local Indian dealership last Saturday to look at the new Super Chief. I'm hooked, bad. Last cruiser I had was Honda Shadow and I wish I had not sold it. A demo ride would have meant a financial transaction, :) !

OP
OP
Horsehead

Horsehead

Bike
'01 ST1100
My
Thank you for this posting. I visited my local Indian dealership last Saturday to look at the new Super Chief. I'm hooked, bad. Last cruiser I had was Honda Shadow and I wish I had not sold it. A demo ride would have meant a financial transaction, :) !
The indians were all a ton of fun to ride.

What's funny is my last (only) cruiser was a '97 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE. I traded it to an Army chaplain for his '01 Suzuki Bandit 1200. I described that experience as going from a two wheeled tractor to a proper motorcycle. Never once regretted that trade and never really have considered another cruiser. But those really high end baggers from Indian were just a hoot and comfortable to boot.

Top Bottom