Dealer prices. Am I missing something?

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
This might should have been in the General section, but it's really about a new FJR ES, so here it is. I confess, I'm obsessed. Went in to buy an FJR in 2010 and the one that had been on the floor was gone. Saw the ST sitting there and the rest, they say, is history. But the red 2014 ES is beckoning like a siren's song. So my local dealer has one on the floor now and as much as I like dealing with them, they are a full retail store and 'negotiations' is a word with too many syllables for them. My friend suggested Cycle Trader to see what's offered and here's my question:

Several list their price at $13,890, a few at $14,890, and most, like my local shop, want the full $16,890. One store in Michigan shows $12,890. Their ads suggest they are all brand new 2014's with the ES. I understand profit margins, but are the shops offering prices up to $4,000 less than full retail holding something back or trying to pull customers in for a bait and switch or otherwise hiding something that I will discover only AFTER making a 500 mile trip? A couple thousand difference will probably be enough to convince me to make the change. All input sincerely appreciated.

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
Some have added fees. Call and ask for a total out the door price. Get them to email you something in writing before making a trip to purchase.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
Some have added fees. Call and ask for a total out the door price. Get them to email you something in writing before making a trip to purchase.
True, and some of these added fees are fat. I encountered one dealer who said he was soft on the MSRP (2014 FJR A) but also mentioned that they charged $495.00 for destination charge and $495.00 for dealer set-up. That was the first dealer I talked to and his prices seemed steep. They were, the dealer I eventually bought from knocked the price down from $15,890.00 (MSRP) to $15,000.00 and only charged $400 that included destination AND set-up. I was good with that.

Nobody in Northern California was willing to deal on the ES (this was back in October before anyone had one). Things may be softer now but these have been selling like hot cakes so it still looks like a sellers market.

Start a conversation with dealers. I used e-mail very effectively since I was contacting 10 dealers within a 120 mile radius, and all responded in a timely manner.

Dan

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
You have to take a look around on the internet and find your best price on the vehicle that you want. I just bought a Honda Accord for 4400 under MSRP about 90 miles south of me, my local dealer said there is no way they could sell me the car that cheap. I had the deal sealed up through emails prior to going down there and getting the car we wanted for a great price. I will drive 90 miles all day for 4400 dollars. :D

Bike
2001 ST1100
When I bought my new 1800 Wing in 2002, I faxed every dealer in the range I was willing to drive my trailer to pick it up and asked for a quote. I got about a dozen responses. Most were list but the best quote was $ 3,000 below list out the door. They faxed me that invoice with all the options and color I requested and they stuck to it without any last minute BS. They knew my tactic and cut right to the chase - the best possible price. I sent them $ 100.00 down and they had the bike delivered and prepared within 2 weeks. You might find success with this by emailing the sales manager instead of faxing like I did.

Bike
'15 FJR ES
The FJRforum has long maintained that D&H in Cullman Alabama is the best place to buy an FJR. I have a feeling they will not have one but if I were unhappy with my local dealer (I am not) I would be contacting them.

Unfortunately I have a very good relationship with the local dealer in Baton Rouge so it is my fault I don't have a new FJR ES.

Top Bottom