Dealing with dangerous camping neighbors

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I was looking through the pictures in the thread about camping. I didn't want to hijack it so I will ask my question here. These pictures have made me curious about something- what about critters? Living in Canada the only dangerous things that we have to worry about are mosquitoes, deer-flies, angry moose, angry black bears, pissed-off grizzlies- you know, the usual camping neighbors who pose no danger! As I have never camped in the deep south or the south-west I became curious about all the different critters you guys have down there like rattle-snakes, poisonous spiders, Burmese pythons in Florida, alligators, etc. Does the possibility of having any of these potentially dangerous animals join you in your sleeping bag during the night cause any concern for people who camp in these areas? Mosquitoes are one thing but having a rattle-snake or an alligator decide to cuddle up to your warm body during the night is another. If it does cause any of you some concern what do you do about it?

There's a fella named Paddon that is known to do ALOT of camping. He's in Florida. I don't recall anybody ever saying he'd tried to get into their sleeping bag, but better to be safe. Bring some Canadian whiskey and he'll go down early without a fight!

Glad I could help! ;)

......Does the possibility of having any of these potentially dangerous animals join you in your sleeping bag during the night cause any concern for people who camp in these areas? .....
Well.... not till you brought it up!!!

Really though... I'd worry more about 2-legged critters than I would one with 4 or something that slithers. Damn few animals go looking for trouble. That is what we do. Looking for Food or protection of young ones is when the adventure starts. Avoid those situations and you'll be good. Lot depends on how comfortable you are in the outdoors too.

In the southwest; Texas, Oklahoma, and further west, check for scorpions. I've heard of them further east but haven't seen it myself. In the spring, summer, and fall I find them around the house and inside my mom's house. These sneaky critters will climb into boots and other things at night. They are looking for a nice dark place to hide when the sun starts to come up. Check your boots/shoes in the morning and shake things out. Unless you're allergic (rare), compare their sting to a bee sting - mild. If you're allergic call 911, see symptoms below.

Severe symptoms include
◦widespread numbness,
◦ difficulty swallowing,
◦a thick tongue,
◦blurred vision,
◦roving eye movements,
◦ seizures,
◦salivation, and
◦difficulty breathing.

I've never experienced a snake coming into my camp site, but know some campers have. They're generally looking for a nice warm place but are very shy, even the poisonous ones.

Mosquitoes and ticks are carrying some bad diseases down south now. Off the top of my head West Nile, Possibly Zika, Lime Disease. Wear repellent with deet in camp sites. Citronella sticks help too. Martin spays his campsite with bug spray, good idea; buy, use, toss.

Oops, forgot skunks. No explanation necessary. I just walk away and come back when their through checking for food.

Last edited:
Snakes can't get into a zipped tent and all the ones I've had in camp either ignored me or just went on their own way. I'm not dumb enough to antagonize one of them. Scorpions you have to go look hard for during the day and at night I'm in my zipped up tent. I bring my boots in or stuff them with a towel to deter them critters.

My wife and I camped for a week in Yellowstone last May. Elk and buffalo would wander through the campsite at night. Elk were easy to identify by their tracks. The buffalo would scratch off winter coat on the corners of our picnic table. We only heard them one night but there were signs every morning. At least they were careful to not trample the tent.

There's a fella named Paddon that is known to do ALOT of camping. He's in Florida. I don't recall anybody ever saying he'd tried to get into their sleeping bag, but better to be safe. Bring some Canadian whiskey and he'll go down early without a fight!

Glad I could help! ;)

Truer words were never spoken.

Does the possibility of having any of these potentially dangerous animals join you in your sleeping bag during the night cause any concern for people who camp in these areas??

I'm an avid camper and have been since Dad bought us pup tents when we were 7 years old. And my answer to that question in most all of the lower 48 is NO. But up north on the Alaska trip I didn't sleep so well. So come on down and camp away. Like was said, the 2 legged creatures are far worse and I find those to hang out at the motel more than the campgrounds.

Alligators do not cuddle up to sleeping humans. They just eat them whole. Snakes have been known to look for a warm spot to snooze, and have indeed surprised some campers*. Try zipping your tent shut at night. Most snakes will not unzip. Those that do, are very dangerous for other reasons.

Btw, critters with a concealed carry permit are the most dangerous - and you failed to mention them. I don't have any suggestions on how to deal w/ these guys.

*Read a few if Peter Hathaway Capstick's books to learn about dangerous critters. Try Death in the Long Grass, Death in Silent Places, etc. He is a very entertaining author and you will learn a lot.

Last edited:
Btw, critters with a concealed carry permit are the most dangerous - and you failed to mention them. I don't have any suggestions on how to deal w/ these guys.

What? Seriously? Law abiding citizens background checked by the FBI are the most dangerous is your thought? Sounds really stupid to me.

From 2014 CHL statistics issued in Texas by the DPS.
Total CHLs issued 246,326
Total CHL people convicted (all violent crime reasons; some with knives) 111
Total non CHL convictions of violent crime 47,413

NRA has it right, law abiding citizens are your best protection. Total percent of CHL offenders .2341 doesn't make a statistical significance.

Worry about the non-permit carrying critters and other things in the camp site.

The only animal injuries I've seen while camping was a father/son sharing a small tent. In the middle of the night there was a heck of ruckus. An armadillo got startled and did what armadillos do, it jumped straight up in the air and came down on their tent right where their heads were. Both of them got pretty good scratches on their faces as it clawed and shredded the side of their tent on the way down.
Neither of them developed leprosy later, lol.

Stop listening to the lame stream media and visit the Good 'Ole USA and pitch your tent.

I do visit the USA very often, as you can see by my map, and intend to continue to do so. I just became curious about the proximity to venomous crawling critters in some areas while camping that we don't have any experience with up here.

I do visit the USA very often, as you can see by my map, and intend to continue to do so. I just became curious about the proximity to venomous crawling critters in some areas while camping that we don't have any experience with up here.

Next time you're in Texas Hill Country let me know and we'll hit some of that Texas Beef BBQ or maybe a good mom and pop Tex-mex restaurant. I also have some favorite camping places I could recommend. It's insects and small varmints that would be most likely to inconvenience you and give you a miserable night. Just ask Joe about javelina attacks and counter attacks at Ft Davis State Park. :D Myself, I've been thinking about getting up to Montreal to see were my great grand parents came from.

Back
Top Bottom