Dedicated GPS alternative

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I've been looking for a GPS solution for a few years now. I had an iPhone running the TomTom Go app . I really liked the mobile app and the planning app but it was not an all-weather solution and it wasn't glove-friendly.
Just couldn't bring myself to drop $700CDN on an XT.
I ran across a rugged smartphone call a Umidigi Bison X10. It has a 6.5" screen, is fully waterproof and shockproof for $120CDN.
Received it today and I'm very impressed.
(I see it's now $149 CDN)

Last edited:

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
A few weeks ago I saw an interesting device that worked as a wireless Apple car play/Android auto screen. It was waterproof, would Bluetooth to your helmet and also had two dash cams.

found it on Amazon

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I guess if it works for what it is intended for it will be great and inexpensive. The intuitive user interface between the rider and GPS plus easy-to-use route planning apps can be worth the cost of Garmin admission but if complex routes are not needed an XT or something like it may not be worth the investment.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I guess if it works for what it is intended for it will be great and inexpensive. The intuitive user interface between the rider and GPS plus easy-to-use route planning apps can be worth the cost of Garmin admission but if complex routes are not needed an XT or something like it may not be worth the investment.
Given the alternatives available (both for navigation and route planning) I am surprised anyone uses dedicated GPS/route planning anymore.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Given the alternatives available (both for navigation and route planning) I am surprised anyone uses dedicated GPS/route planning anymore.
It's convenient, they are not prone to damage from bike mounting as are some smartphones, and I am familiar with the devices... through multiple generations. As for cost, the now-obsolete StreetPilot series (26xx) were over 1000 bucks new, whereas the much-improved Zumo XT is half the price, at full retail.
I'm comfortable with them, know how to use them, and appreciate the simplicity of saving / retrieving points of interest and all that. I almost never connect my Garmin with a phone or helmet headset, unless I want to send an address from my phone to the GPS.
That said, I don't routinely use a GPS for route planning, so there's that.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
familiar with the devices...
comfortable with them, know how to use them,
These are probably the biggest reasons people use not to change. Human nature. Nothing wrong with that. However, when a change becomes necessary, the transition usually is longer and more difficult.

To me, the biggest drawback of standalone units is the tether to the mothership. You are greatly dependent on them for the continued, fully functional, operation of the unit. If the mothership lags, so does the unit. As an example....we just had a new section of a bypass opened. Within 24 hours, the roads appeared on most open source maps. My wife's 2 yr old car system shows only a blank screen where the new roads are and will continue to do so until (or if) we pay some $300 to "update" the resident maps. Yes, I know about LTM systems but "lifetime" seems to be what is determined by the "mothership". ie. decides to no longer support the unit.

On a bike forum nav systems are analogous to oil and tires.:biggrin:
Every post should be prefaced with ".....in my own experience, with what I have actually used....."

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
You might be surprised by the TomTom Go app ease of use. Likewise the companion Go planning app.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Tried both Android (Pixel) and iPhone (13 Mini) and found both overheated and shut down when mounted anywhere in sun and sometimes even in tankbag. :( Never a problem with Garmin. :cool:

Tom

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Tried both Android (Pixel) and iPhone (13 Mini) and found both overheated and shut down when mounted anywhere in sun and sometimes even in tankbag. :( Never a problem with Garmin. :cool:

Tom
So, if I say that I have had both Garmin and TT randomly shut down and reboot:( but not had the problem with Android phones (not tried apple), where would that leave us? Back to where we started?:cool:

Best thing about the current situation is that it gives one many choices. Not just the one or 2 of the past. You can find one that works best for you. Which is really all that matters.

Bike
2017 ST 1300PA

Tom
Tom, was the display on the whole time, or black screen on standby?
I had the same trouble with my iPhone 13 Mini, but was using the map on constant on. I have not tried it the otherway.

rob

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR

Tom
Never have relied on my iphone for realtime navigation. It has never been mounted to my handlebars. However, I have a mount for it, which I keep in the bike, just in case the XT croakes in the middle of nowhere.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Likewise, phones overheating is a PITA. Now using a XT. No issues.
Upt.
Good point, that is known to happen IN MY EXPERIENCE here in the sweltering hot summers of the Deep South. But rarely with a GPS, but much more frequently with my phone under the clear vinyl map case on a tankbag.
Likewise, IN MY EXPERIENCE my Android phones have randomly shut down for no apparent reason. (Yes, with ample battery remaining, for the answer to some of you smart asses around here.)

Top Bottom