Dedicated GPS alternative

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've had some previous zumos randomly shut down for no apparent reason, it was rare but would happen at least one during a long multi-day tour.

The maps are usually easier to read on a dedicated gps vs a phone but I've never really tried touring with just the phone.

Tracer 9GT+ now has a subscription option w/garmin that makes the screen look a lot like a zumo... but hate the subscription option... if they allow loading the maps to the bike's memory so that is stand-alone that would be nice. BMW's connecited app is a big zero in my mind as it's hard to see, slow and sometimes won't connect.

Lots of bikes are trying to add that function but so far the zumo xt gives me gps, weahter, music and phone integration and is very dependable.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Tom, was the display on the whole time, or black screen on standby?
rob
Shut down w/ display on or off when in handlebar mount. Phone is on all the time even with display off; Sena w/ 65 gb music playing. I went back to Garmin for nav, phone in saddlebag or tankbag with external power; works for me. :)

Heat is not good for phone.

Tom

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
A few weeks ago I saw an interesting device that worked as a wireless Apple car play/Android auto screen. It was waterproof, would Bluetooth to your helmet and also had two dash cams.

found it on Amazon
I this interests you I still have one for sale without the cameras:

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I this interests you I still have one for sale without the cameras:
I have a BMW Nav V that I am more or less happy with (display in harsh light is useless), I just saw that device on a YouTube video and just looked it up but not with the intention to purchase.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Given the alternatives available (both for navigation and route planning) I am surprised anyone uses dedicated GPS/route planning anymore.
It's easy to use on the fly and it's glove friendly in all weathers, hot, cold, rain, whatever. I never see a message that "charging is suspended moisture detected" or "accessory not supported" that I see at times with my phone. Vibration doesn't ruin the camera. Routes with a huge number of shaping points are easy to build, save, and share, the latter spontaneously on a ride if a buddy wants the route on his GPS. Maybe some apps can do that, I really don't know. Maybe with practice I can learn to ride a unicycle but I can manage my bicycle right now very well.

Several years ago I dipped my toe in Rever and another app I've since forgotten but the building, saving and uploading simple routes to the app was clunky and took extra steps not necessary with Garmin. A long complex route, ugh, never tried. It's too easy with Mapsource or BaseCamp, the path of least resistance calls.

If I was starting this mapping GPS thing all over again I might have learned to use a phone to do it but that option didn't exist over 25 years ago.

Everyone has different needs and expectations and makes their own best choice.

Top Bottom