"Deep Soak" Top End Lubrication

Bike
'92 ST-1100ABS
STOC #
I think I've had my '92 fall over about 3 times over the years, but the most memorable occasion was when I walked into the garage with a buddy and discovered the ST on the ground and almost completely inverted

This was the result of a series of screwups on my part. a) I had left the ST on the pneumatic lift and on it's centerstand. b) The lift was in the up position, and I had not engaged the safety lever. c) I had not centered the air valve pedal but left it in the "raise" position. d) I left my roll-around telescoping shop stool projecting under one side of the lift....the stage was set.

We then had a power outage. During the outage the compressor tank leaked down, allowing the lift to lower about 6 inches and come in contact with the stool which supported one side of the lift while the air continued to bleed out. At some point the tilt overbalanced the bike which toppled off of the right side of the lift.

I wasn't there to see the actual event, but when I finally saw it the lift was back in the fully raised position (power came back on don cha know) and nicely hooked on what would have been the right side centerstand foot and raised the bike into an almost complete inverted position, resting on the floor by the top of the windshield, seat, and one pannier.

I scared the crap out of my buddy when we entered the garage and turned on the light. I grabbed my head and yelled "HOLY CRAP"...he was looking around for a body hanging from the rafters I guess because he looked around frantically saying, "what!?, what!?" I then pointed out about the most surreal scene either of us had ever witnessed in the form of a 700+ lb motorcycle sitting on the floor almost totally inverted with it's wheels in the air.

The bike was trapped between the lift and a lathe and there wasn't much room to maneuver, but we spent about an hour very carefully righting the bike with the help of an engine lift to gently disengage the shiny parts from the concrete floor and right the bike.

The bike sustained ZERO damage aside from a small scuff on a clear plastic protector on top one pannier. Not even a scratch on the top of the windshield. ZERO fluids leaked out of the bike, although I think I lost a little when I first turned on the light.

Although my mistakes were many, one thing would have prevented this entire episode....put down the safety arm when the lift is up. I pretty much always remember to do that now. :eek::

Bike
ST1300 '05
Impressive story. More than one thing has to go wrong for something like this to happen.

OP
OP
Bike
'92 ST-1100ABS
STOC #
Had I known in the beginning that I was witnessing a near miracle, I would have taken pictures, but I was in a constant state of horrification that didn't even end once the bike was upright and I had gone over the Tupperware and found no damage. It was inconceivable to me that you could flip an ST upside down and leave it for days and not have some fluid somewhere that it didn't belong and in a position to cause damage. I pulled the plugs, put it in gear, and rolled it, and got nothing but air out of the cylinders. I put the plugs back in, (agonized for another 10 minutes) and then hit the start button. It cranked for about 5 seconds and started and purred like it always did. I might have gotten a few extra burps out of the ABS initially, but every thing else was perfect.

Come to think of it, I haven't done a valve adjustment since then and it was about 20k miles ago. Maybe I should build a "spit" for the ST and give it an inversion treatment once in awhile. Seems like it might be therapeutic.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Yeah, I'd leak a few fluids if I was in your shoes. Glad your ST came through it unscathed.

John

Great story, would have paid money to see the show when the light went on :D

Bike
ST1300
When I was in college I worked at a Firestone tire store. It was our policy to drain the compressor every Saturday when we closed. This one Saturday we weren't very busy so we did a cleaning as well and had most everything outside and cleaned the floor.

The air hoses were very nicely coiled and put up. Or so we thought. Someone took one of the hoses and threw it up on the tubing/valve for the lift. Well, the weight of the hoses had pushed the valve over to the up position but since the tank was empty nobody was the wiser. Until the following Monday morning when the boss came in and started the shop up for business.

His routine was to start the coffee and then head out back to turn on the shop lights and compressor and then head back to his desk for coffee and paperwork. Well, about 5-10 minutes into his paperwork he hear's a crash from the shop. It appears that a van had been parked over the top of the lift that had been placed in the up position and as the air pressure built up the lift went up taking the van with it... until it got to the top and the sudden stop shook it off the lift where it fell to the ground.

Glad I didn't have to make that call.....

Top Bottom