DEKA batteries are crap

Put a ETX15L on my 2005 KLR July 2010. It's died and will not hold a charge.

Only in use for about 6,000 miles.

Tr-State Batteries of Newark, DE told me tough luck.

BE WARNED don't buy DEKA and don't buy from Tri State (tristatebattery.com).

EDIT

Always kept on a battery tender when bike not in use.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Reminds me I wanted to say a battery thing: the battery in my XT-350 Yam is pretty small, sulfates easily, don't last long at all. I've put three or 4 in since getting it a few years ago. Cheap, but still a PITA. About a month ago, I noticed a solid Emergency Lighting battery at the hardware store which is only slightly larger, fit like a charm. It's MADE to hold a long-term charge. Started the bike yesterday for the first time since 666 (a month), battery was still fully charged and looking good.

Sor to hear yur problem, Brit. I buy my ST batteries from WalMart, last long enuff for the price.

Bike
05'ST1300
STOC #
Thats a bummer deal Britman.
I have had nothing but good luck with the Deka bateries.
We use a few hundred a year.
So I can say thats not the norm from them.
Now the guys that sold it to you I have no comment as I dont know them.
Have you tried calling East penn direct with the issue?
610-682-6361
I hope they will make it right for you.
Sean

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My experience with Deka batteries is very different. Great batteries, good value over time, great customer support. This comes from 10 years retail experience selling marine batteries of various brands. I also put an AGM Deka 30-something or other in my BMW R100 5 years ago.... I would have to check my records but I think that was about 35,000 miles of riding.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
East Penn (deka brand) has an excellent reputation in general.
But everybody has a few lemons.
I'd try one over yuasa if they had one in the st1300 size.
Can't hurt to give them a call although warranty if any would be thru the point of sale.

Unfortunately all my (now ancient) contacts are on the stationary/industrial side of the house.

"Beware the sample size of one"

I have used a Deka in the ST11 for over 4 years. Still acts like new. The yuasa one it replaced was buckled and not looking too good until it finally failed.

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
Have you tried calling East penn direct with the issue?
610-682-6361
I hope they will make it right for you.
Sean
When the retailer told you tuff luck, take it directly to the manufacturer, complain about the retailer and the manufacturer should bend over backward to make you happy again.
The old saying among retailers is "An unhappy customer is my best customer once he/she is happy again".
That retailer that stiffed you made a mistake and is only hurting the manufacturer and should (may) get chastised by Penn.

Top Bottom