Delkevic Slip-ons

OP
OP
Yaesu
Rineyville, KY (summer) Hernando Beach, FL (winter
I put a set of Delkevic cans on my ST-1300. They sound much louder when starting up the bike, but on the road they are very civilized. They take the "Jetson"/sewing machine sound almost completely away. I haven't used the baffles because without them they sound good to me. Of course I'm 74 years old and my hearing isn't as sharp as it once was.

No problem mounting them. All parts fit perfectly.

Last edited:
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I installed a full Delkevic exhaust on my 93, ordered it almost as soon as I saw the photos and, mainly, the price; $735, free shipping. They are well made, and sort of fit the bike - bolting up the headers can be a bit tough, but mainly I had to fabricate my own mid-pipe bracket as theirs was off by about an inch! So I needed to re-install the pipes, and emailed them to ask for new header gaskets and sealing grease, which they sent without and trouble. I think they look great, and must have saved at lease 10 lbs. But agree with a post elsewhere about the sound - "throaty" is being kind. I mean, I'm not 18 anymore, they were too loud for me. Did what has worked on a couple of my other bikes and installed short baffles between the mufflers and the pipes, which is much more pleasant. Also, they claimed "no jetting necessary", but it sure didn't feel that way. Sounded pretty rough on part throttle on secondary roads, really not happy with that, but clean on acceleration and at highway speeds. The baffles seemed to help, although I have put very little miles on them.

Anyway, overall I'm very happy with the system - for that price, I don't mind some extra work.
I had the same mismatch between the collector box and frame fitting when I refurbished my 1991. The original stainless headers had developed some exfoliation (flakey rust) at the bends so I replaced the entire system. I 'snug' assembled everything so I wouldn't stress the system but still ended up with a large mismatch
You can complete that connection by bending a section of all-thread rod into a 'U' shape....that will allow for an offset connection. A little more professional looking, if the offset is large enough, is to make a pattern of the offset and hole locations. It will look like a figure 8 or a rectangle if you prefer. Make two from 1/16 sheet metal. Two short sections of spacer tubes with flat washers protecting the bushings will complete the fit as the joint will be offset by the width of the stock lugs. Should have taken some photos.
I used the Delkevic long muffler system. That gives a pleasant rumble at idle but additional noise is 'invisible' at speed.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I'm considering replacing mine with Delkevics also, but am concerned about the increased "noise" :) A little is Ok and welcomed, but I'm also ok with the near zero noise using my OEM mufflers. I'm more interested in the hopeful heat reduction on my shins. Again, the heat is not severe, but noticeable at times.
Yaesu.....man your bike is clean! Good job! :)

OP
OP
Yaesu
Rineyville, KY (summer) Hernando Beach, FL (winter
I'm considering replacing mine with Delkevics also, but am concerned about the increased "noise" :) A little is Ok and welcomed, but I'm also ok with the near zero noise using my OEM mufflers. I'm more interested in the hopeful heat reduction on my shins. Again, the heat is not severe, but noticeable at times.
Yaesu.....man your bike is clean! Good job! :)
Thanks!

I agree with what Oldbikefixr said as far as the noise becoming invisible at highway speeds. I didn't notice any less heat on my right leg in hot temps. But I often ride in shorts when the temperature is in the 90s.:eek:

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
These are the old Staintunes - I bought them used for $400 before they went out of business- good luck to anyone finding a set of these beauties
407BB011-E7C3-4F5E-91AF-319F75BE5F14.jpeg
You sir are one of the lucky Staintune owners. No rivets, no pipe clamps, just perfect welds and polished stainless. Now just remove the db restrictors and the install will be complete. :thumb:

Bike
1993 ST1100
I had the same mismatch between the collector box and frame fitting when I refurbished my 1991. The original stainless headers had developed some exfoliation (flakey rust) at the bends so I replaced the entire system. I 'snug' assembled everything so I wouldn't stress the system but still ended up with a large mismatch
You can complete that connection by bending a section of all-thread rod into a 'U' shape....that will allow for an offset connection. A little more professional looking, if the offset is large enough, is to make a pattern of the offset and hole locations. It will look like a figure 8 or a rectangle if you prefer. Make two from 1/16 sheet metal. Two short sections of spacer tubes with flat washers protecting the bushings will complete the fit as the joint will be offset by the width of the stock lugs. Should have taken some photos.
I used the Delkevic long muffler system. That gives a pleasant rumble at idle but additional noise is 'invisible' at speed.
I fixed the mount problem by bending the bracket on the collector 90 degrees, then making a separate 90 degree bracket with holes that line up to the frame mount and the bent bracket mount. Pretty simple and effective - could have been worse for sure!

Top Bottom