Detailing bags

Bike
'05 ST1300
IMG_2490.JPGIMG_2491.JPG

I had a friend buff out some scratches on the top side of my saddlebags. When I got them back I found the plastic looked subtastic (Chalky residue from using the wrong kind of dressing). My solution was to take a medium soft detailing brush with a mild soap solution and go over the entire plastic part of the bags. Followed up with a thorough rinse and wipe dry. Next I sprayed a coat of 'Kwik Shine' on them, let it sit a minute, then buffed and evened it out. Last step was to put a nice coat of wax on the paintwork. (Pro-tip: When dressing plastic, try to use a treatment that is clear, something you can see through, no suspended additives which cause the chalkiness).

Last edited:
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Now , all you need is a couple safety prongs to make sure these ST1300 saddlebags stay on ! I was riding behind a guy when one of his came OFF , wasn't a pretty result !
( I came up with a solution )

Last edited:

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I bought it at a local auto parts store (Bensons in Picton) on the advice of a detailer I know.

Here's the company contact info-
Sorry, not to be a pain, but you're linking to a 40 page cat. with page after page of similar products. Can you give a face on picture on the Kwik Shine can or a cat. # Thanks.

Bike
2005 st1300
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
What did you do?
You align the prong into the new hole / grommet , & then simultaneously insert the saddlebag into the top & forward mounts .
Then inside the saddlebag , put the clip into the prong's tip hole .
When you lock the saddlebag lid closed , you definitely have the saddlebag locked onto the ST , trapped in , 3 places .

( L & R steel rod prongs are tied together by a sheetmetal steel "hidden " bracket , attached to existing / OEM fender mounts )

Attachments

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
When you lock the saddlebag lid closed , you definitely have the saddlebag locked onto the ST , trapped in , 3 places .
I don't recall reading of ST1300 panniers coming off under normal usage, so I am now wondering if I should be concerned.
Did you do this in response to a known issue, or was it a matter of you would rather be safe than sorry?

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I don't recall reading of ST1300 panniers coming off under normal usage, so I am now wondering if I should be concerned.
Did you do this in response to a known issue, or was it a matter of you would rather be safe than sorry?
As I mentioned in #9 above : " I was riding behind a guy when one of his came OFF , wasn't a pretty result ! "

ruined his paint job on the saddlebag , scrapes & gouges all over !

I hadn't noticed anything odd before the saddlebag fell off , I was riding 2- 4 seconds behind him , in a STOC group ride.
So I thought there had to be a way to MAKE SURE the saddlebags wouldn't fall off mine .
( I'd only had my ST for about a month at that time , in 2011 )

Last edited:
Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur
I don't think that there is any known issue with the panniers. I believe that if care is taken with the fitting and securing they are not going to drop off. The mechanisms and design I consider to be reliable, if they do drop off it is more likely to be human error.

Top Bottom