Did a little work on the Burgman 650

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Replaced my battery just today while I was checking the CVT filter on my 2013 Burgman 650 ABS.
I suspected the battery that was in there was original from 2013 and I suspect I am reading the date code correctly to confirm that. Do you think just over 8 years is long enough for a stock AGM type battery?
The CVT filter is just a foam air filter since the CVT is dry and only has a cooling fan for the CVT case on the driven pulley.

There is a code stamped into the plastic on top the old battery of 130303 (year-month-day?). There is another code ink stamped into the bottom of the old battery of 130304-1. It was still working just fine but I am planning a long-ish trip from central Iowa to North central TN in another week so didn't want to be at some remote camp ground with a dead battery. I do always carry mc jumper cables just in case but still...

The battery I put in came compliments of Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P6Z7TV3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I know the Ah is .2 less than OEM (12Ah vs 12.2Ah) but I think this one will work fine for me. I usually plug into my battery maintainer if I don't ride for a few weeks but that is rare. I usually ride every month of the year even when temps go well below freezing for 3 months in a row.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Eight years life for any lead acid battery is outstanding, and .2AH less is meaningless. If you or the seller did not charge the battery correctly before installation, you stand to lose 10% of the battery's capacity anyway, so what is 2/10 of an amp hour? Read up on batteries at batteryuniversity.com, or get the book written by the owner of that company (all this is on that website). Its a real education.

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Have been to that web site before.
Already know all that about Ah and that was my point. No big deal about loosing .2Ah. I did make sure to check the charge on the new battery before installation. I put it on my battery maintainer until that shut off and then let it sit overnight. Checked voltage the next morning. Little instruction sheet that came with the battery calls for 12.8vdc after doing this to show full charge. I measured an even 13.0vdc. I have done some research on batteries in general. Mainly 20 years ago and off and on since. More for my interest in electric vehicles and the batteries that are used in them. Battery technology has improved some over the years but I think it has a long way to go yet for really great batteries.

Some people do nit-pick over the smallest details so that is why I even mentioned it in my earlier post. I'm always up for learning more.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Do you think just over 8 years is long enough for a stock AGM type battery?
I'd say it did you proud. Congratulations.

If I replace my ST's battery before it give me issues I'll repurpose it for fooling around with LEDs. It's always nice to have a 12V sealed source for the task. I had a 12V gel battery for that but it finally died. I can't find an exact replacement - a pity since it came in a battery backup for a Comcast router/modem so it was kept charged.

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Replaced the front brake pads on my Burgman 650. 3 of the 4 pads still had plenty of material remaining for another several hundred miles, maybe even 1000 miles, but one was worn to the wear indicator so it was definitely time before the trip to FerrySTOC next week. The front brakes on the Burgman are same as almost any other bike so it was an easy job. The hardest part was convincing the calipers to open enough to fit the new pads in there. I prefer not to open the reservoir and then refill after the job if I don't have to do it that way so I just pry harder. The pads that were taken out were the original pads. They lasted just under 21700 miles. The original rear pads only lasted just less than 14700 miles. Since the Burgman has a rear parking brake I am guessing the original owner may have forgotten and left the parking brake on when starting off down the road a time or two.

Bikes with DCT usually also have parking brakes even though they also do have a neutral gear unlike my Burgman. That's a safety feature for not having a clutch.

Top Bottom