Did i use the right transmission oil?

Good day, good people,

I bought a Honda ST1300A (2004) last week. My first bike.
I wanted to do an all-around check and replace all fluids, etc.

Furthermore, I changed the gearbox/transmission oil with the one on the picture below.
I feel like I made a terrible mistake. I changed it with the SAE 80 because the manual tells me, and it is also stated on the gearbox itself.

On that note, I was checking random videos about the bike and came across an oil change vid. The guy used 75W90.
I searched for more videos, and all used 75W90. All those liquids look very runny and clear. The liquid in this bottle I used is dark gray and a bit thicker.

Did I make a huge mistake, and should I go for a 75W90?
I drove about 30 kilometers/ 19 miles so for with this oil.

I hope I get some good news here.

With appreciation,

Bart

1715116926897.pngAfbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-05-07 om 23.31.49_1174edfe.jpg

You are fine - the difference of 80W90 vs 75W90 is negligible. The first number is the base cold flow and the upper number is with the oil temperature higher. In a rear drive oil flow is not really an issue as the oil is not being pumped, the rear drive is splash lubricated in an oil bath. The 80w90 will be slightly more viscous(thicker) when cold but the same as 75w90 when hot. The Motul bottle you are showing is a mineral based lubricant and it will also appear thicker when cold than a 75w90 synthetic oil as may be in the videos you watched.

Last edited:
You are fine - the difference of 80W90 vs 75W90 is negligible. The first number is the base cold flow and the upper number is with the oil temperature higher. In a rear drive oil flow is not really an issue as the oil is not being pumped the rear drive is splash lubricated.
Thank you so much for the quick reply. Glad i'm good here.

I like to use Honda Hypoid final drive oil. But to my understanding any 80W 90 Hypoid gear oil would probably work fines.

The picture is NOT a transmission, but a final drive. Transmission and engine oil are together in one unit. Use a motorcycle specific engine oil suitable for wet clutches.
So did i put the wrong oil in there? @bdalameda Said i'm fine. I'm learning as i'm going.

It's always a good idea to follow manual recommendations as far as oils, maintenance, etc. - so you're fine as stated. There was some confusion initially as your picture is for the final drive and not the transmission, but that seems to have been clarified.

Welcome to the forum!!! What other maintenance you plan on doing?

Welcome from Southeast Georgia USA. The pictures of where you put the oil and the oil you used are excellent, you did well! Now go ride.

It's always a good idea to follow manual recommendations as far as oils, maintenance, etc. - so you're fine as stated. There was some confusion initially as your picture is for the final drive and not the transmission, but that seems to have been clarified.

Welcome to the forum!!! What other maintenance you plan on doing?

So far i did the:
Engine Oil. Oil Motul 7100 synt. 10W40. https://www.mpartz.nl/product_info.php?products_id=39957{17}151
Oil filter from HiFlo, HF204RC. https://www.mpartz.nl/oliefilter-honda-st1300-pan-european-2002-2017-hiflo-hf204rc-p-39369m1125y
I installed a magnetig plug. https://www.mpartz.nl/aftapschroef-olie-carterplug-magnetisch-m14x15-135mm-p-32271
Airfilter from HiFlo, HFA1923. https://www.mpartz.nl/luchtfilter-honda-st1300-pan-european-2002-2017-hiflo-hfa1923-p-6631m1125y

On the planning is within this month
New brake fluid.
New brakepads.
New cooland.
I want a mechanic to look at the clutch if that is still okidoki.

After that i do not realy know.
There is still an original radio from honda on it. I want to remove it and use a bluetooth connection to the speakers.
Replace the speakers. They are a bit choppy.

For upgrades i did replace the headlights with LEDs. Now i want to do that for all lights.
Cruise control.
Upgrade the speedometer; it's a bit weak during the day.

Are you experiencing clutch slippage under acceleration (engine revs up but speed goes down), or it's just fluid change?
The clutch engagement is at the very end of the handle. I measured the whole range, it is 12 cm (4.7 inches), but it grabs only on the last 2 cm (0.8 inches)

So I want to do the fluid anyway, but I also want the clutch checked out.
It works fine, as far as I know.

I drove 550 kilometers yesterday, through a lot of hills and corners. It shifts fine.
Only a little worried about the clutch engagement.

Good day, good people,

I bought a Honda ST1300A (2004) last week. My first bike.
I wanted to do an all-around check and replace all fluids, etc.

Furthermore, I changed the gearbox/transmission oil with the one on the picture below.
I feel like I made a terrible mistake. I changed it with the SAE 80 because the manual tells me, and it is also stated on the gearbox itself.

On that note, I was checking random videos about the bike and came across an oil change vid. The guy used 75W90.
I searched for more videos, and all used 75W90. All those liquids look very runny and clear. The liquid in this bottle I used is dark gray and a bit thicker.

Did I make a huge mistake, and should I go for a 75W90?
I drove about 30 kilometers/ 19 miles so for with this oil.

I hope I get some good news here.

With appreciation,

Bart

View attachment 333920View attachment 333921
you are good.....
my preference is the LUCAS hypoid.... I feel like it has reduced any vibration from the rear

Back
Top Bottom