Did Race Tech clock my rear shock incorrectly?

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
I got my upgraded rear shock back from Race Tech earlier this week. I began the re-installed and routed the pre-load hose per the service manual so that the rebound damping screw was accessible from the hole in the frame. But something seemed wrong, the hose was bent too sharply. So I removed it from the bike and compared it to the sketches in the service manual. It appears that Race Tech clocked the shock mounts 180 degrees from the proper positions.

Photos of the upgraded shock are attached as well as photos from the service manual which I'm assuming are the only way the installation is going to work to get the right hose length.

Anyone know if this can be fixed without sending the shock back to Race Tech?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Looks proper to me, even from your photos?

Are you talking about the other end of the hose we can't see?

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
Looked at your pics and I think if you can compress the spring just enough to rotate the bottom piston 180 degrees, you should be Ok. I,m not absolute on this but maybe you,ll get some more input on this subject.

:slv13: MIKE

Byron

STOC #
Looks proper to me, even from your photos?

Are you talking about the other end of the hose we can't see?

Rob, the bottom mount should have the adjuster on the right side of the bike and the hose should be coming off the bottom side of the shock. The way it is set the adjuster would end up on the left side if mounted correctly for the hose.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Just clamp (gently) one eyelet of the shock in a bench vise, slip a rod through the eyelet on the other end for some leverage, and see if you can twist it 180 degrees.

I would recommend clamping only the upper mount in the vise to avoid bending or breaking that lower aluminum clevis mount. Don't force it, but I think it will rotate.

Top Bottom