difference between a Pan European, ST1100 and ST1100A?

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
A basic ST1100 has no ABS/linked brakes. There are two ST1100A versions. ABS-I has twin-pot calipers like the standard. ABS-II has three-pot calipers, linked brakes and traction control, and bigger forks.

1100s badged as Pan-Europeans have these same three "versions", with minor differences as previously mentioned due to the American regulations on lighting/emissions etc, vs those of European countries.

A UK Pan-European 1300, by the way, has nothing on it that says "ST1300". Just "Pan-European" badging. The 1100s do have a small "ST1100" decal on the saddlebag, though.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Excuse me Tim, we aren't wrong - and thanks to ST1100Y for baiting you on further! You are just being . . . . shall we say . . . . a bit anal about this. As UP implies, any differences are cosmetic or road regulation required, nothing more. They are ALL basically the same bike, with different braking system options.

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
Whichever version of this bike you end up with, you're a winner! :)

(Hey Uncy Phil, good to see you sir!)

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I've had two Pan Europeans..... And wish I could have a third, but do get the ABS version, these are heavy bikes and it will help save your butt one day.....

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
"Thus Pan-European and ST1100/A actually are different models."
I THOUGHT SO! This means that many people are simply wrong. It seems that I have, once again, run into a "common miss-conception."
Now what I want to know is: Exactly WHAT are the differences between the three? :)
I think your question has been answered several times already, so I'm a bit unsure about what you're asking, but I'll bite.

1. The standard ST1100 (without the A) and the standard Pan-Euro are essentially the same bike, ignoring the geographical differences in legal requirements.
2. The ST1100A has ABS, and there have been two versions of those over the years, generally referred to as ABS-I and ABS-II. They were not different options within a model year, they were the only ABS option available for a given model year, and around '95 or '96 is when the ABS-II replaced the ABS-I. The ABS equipped Pan-Euro models for those years were again essentially the same bike as the ST1100A, ignoring the legalities.

Sorry I can't give exact answers on the differences between ABS-I and ABS-II, as I own a non-ABS model, but you get the idea, the ABS-II system was more advanced.

Bike
1993 ST1100
STOC #
I think that you could get faster paint colors depending on the country and year, but that's just a SWAG on my part. The rest is minor :D

OP
OP
Timothy1959
Bike
1996 Honda ST1100
I think your question has been answered several times already, so I'm a bit unsure about what you're asking, but I'll bite.

1. The standard ST1100 (without the A) and the standard Pan-Euro are essentially the same bike, ignoring the geographical differences in legal requirements.
2. The ST1100A has ABS, and there have been two versions of those over the years, generally referred to as ABS-I and ABS-II. They were not different options within a model year, they were the only ABS option available for a given model year, and around '95 or '96 is when the ABS-II replaced the ABS-I. The ABS equipped Pan-Euro models for those years were again essentially the same bike as the ST1100A, ignoring the legalities.

Sorry I can't give exact answers on the differences between ABS-I and ABS-II, as I own a non-ABS model, but you get the idea, the ABS-II system was more advanced.
Thank you for shedding some positive light on this complex (and apparently contraversal) subject without complaining about my "anal" personality! :)

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Controversial?? Not until you had brought it up it seems, even though you had the answers to your question on page one of this thread, but I'm sure once you wrap your head around the differences between ABS, LBS, TCS and Standard models of the Pan European/ST1100, you will understand.

OP
OP
Timothy1959
Bike
1996 Honda ST1100
I don't understand why this name thing is such a problem for you? Fact is, if you lived in Britain, you'd be looking through the adverts for a Pan - period. That's the commonly used name for them over there and Honda isn't doing anything that car manufacturers haven't done over the years, by naming the same basic vehicle one thing in Europe and something else in North America. It's all about marketing. Don't lose any more sleep over this.;)
This subject involves a whole lot more than just "marketing." I have not yet, and probably never will, loose any sleep over this.

OP
OP
Timothy1959
Bike
1996 Honda ST1100
Thanks for the constructive advice!
I agree with you on the complexity of ABS/TCS but it seems to be a trend (with motor vehicles in the US), and... these features might save your life someday.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Don't forget the ST1100P Pan European...unless the police didn't exist either.

Bike
ST1100AX
..... and to confuse things even further, not all UK Police Pan Europeans were official P Spec ones.

Mine, as with many others was converted by a company (Sonic, I think) from an ordinary ST1100A (1999) into use for the Police by the addition of extra wiring, raised handlebars, single seat, different swiches, white paint, etc. What they did not bother to do was to change the V5 Registration Document as it still said the colour of the bike was blue (and still does to this day).

Bike
Vstrom 650
This answer is incorrect. This question is unnecessarily insulting and therefore does not deserve an answer.
Insulting??you are on this forum 5 mins and in all the comments I have read on here all have been polite and reasonable.
If you do buy an ST1100 there isn't much difference in any of them really but the abs11 version is the last of the line and probably the best.

Bike
'12 GL1800
STOC #
Insulting??you are on this forum 5 mins and in all the comments I have read on here all have been polite and reasonable.
If you do buy an ST1100 there isn't much difference in any of them really but the abs11 version is the last of the line and probably the best.
+1 - and all the people said.......

John

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
And don't forget the Brit version has a different headlight for driving on the proper side of the road ... ;-)
So do the 'U-models' Down Under ;-)
Weird thing though: the US models utilize the same headlight P/N, used in LHS as well as in RHS traffic it gives a 'symmetrical light pattern'...
The EC-spec (thus Pan-Europan) genuine H4-headlight assy features a different lens-cut, giving the light pattern an upward kick on the right side, throwing the light farer ahead on the shoulder then on the left side towards the opponent coming traffic...

Sure, in their core their all 'SC26' models, sharing over 90% of their main components (frame, engine case, gearbox, seat, etc, etc...)
But even within the EC model variations exist...
Some area models have only one headlight bulb energized, other country version run both...
For tax reasons German models have only 98HP (slightly narrowed carb boots), in others countries their 'liberated' to have the full 100HP output...

My AR-version ST1100's (AuSTria) feature not only the full light switch on the right handle, they also have the unique 'parking light' circuit on the ignition lock, enabling to lock the steering with activated position lights (an extra 5W bulb in the bottom of the headlight & the 2 taillights active; in case you have to park in dark neighborhoods ;-) )

So studying workshop manuals and spares catalogues/fiche can be pretty enlightening :-D

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Actually Broc one 'answer' finished with a question which was not polite...
IMHO: the Thread-Starter doesn't deserve to be chided over his terse reply...

Bike
Vstrom 650
Actually Broc one 'answer' finished with a question which was not polite...
IMHO: the Thread-Starter doesn't deserve to be chided over his terse reply...
Well put it this way I could understand the posters sentiments, and I didn't see it as not being polite, merely pointing out that the question had been answered already. IMO.

Top Bottom