DiSTappointed...Leaking coolant again...now windshield problems

Bike
2004 ST 1300
Geezy. I spent a lot of time and a few bucks this year replacing the mechanical water pump seal on my 04 ST1300.

All went well on the 3,500 mile jaunt over the past 2 weeks until the last leg of the journey. It was in Dalhart, Texas where the overnight temperature had dropped to 41. Upon starting the bike and letting it idle for a few minutes, there was a puddle of coolant under the bike. I took it off the center stand, and more coolant rolled out. I will pull the Tupperware off and check things out.

Then, after that, the windshield got stuck on the left side as I tried to lower it. Geezy. Gonna hafta take all that apart as well.

The ST is up to 27,000 miles and I hope these issues don't keep popping up. I was hoping for a little more reliability from Honda.

For now, I am sadly diSTappointed.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Could be you just need to tighten clamps.

The windshield well, that could be and expensive one or might just be the upper or lower limit switches but typically, it's the mechanism and it may be more related to age than mileage.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
If the windshield is raised and lowered a lot while traveling, stress is put on the unit and will cause it to fail.

My first went at 125K (on my '05). My second (on my '04 #1) got caught up with a wire I added under the front cowl and stripped the cable.

The first was under warranty, the second I picked up new off ebay and replaced it myself.

Later, I needed one for my '04 #2, so I managed to pickup a busted one (off ebay) with good cables, and replaced the cables (and a little more work) So far it is working just fine!

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
The coolant leak maybe just some loose clamps or your hoses need to be replaced. The windshield you will need to pull apart and check it out to find out the problem, could be a loose wire or dirty in the cable and tracks. Good luck.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
My windshield adjuster did the same thing a few years ago. I pulled it apart and found the coating on the cable pretty chewed up but still had a spiral to it. I took the cover off the gear/motor part and found a lot of play in the area of the cable/gear mating. With the cables pulled out it wasn't sliding smooth from bottom to top. I took it all apart and cleaned it all and put it back together, leaving out two thin shims on the slides to get it to move freely from bottom to top... added a shim behind the U shaped clip that is supposed to keep the cable against the gear. That did the trick and it's been working good sense then.
The next time I have the front plastic off I will redo the process to make sure all is moving free and lubed.
I use it pretty much every day and so far no issues.

Good luck.

Hey Rekoob,
I just completed the Windshield maintenance on my 04 ST 13. I also removed the shims. The slides move much smoother but I’m concerned because there’s now some play in the arms that hold the shield. I see you did the same a few years back and wondering If you’ve had any problems as a result.
Thanks, Tom

Top Bottom