DIY Uni-Go ?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I stumbled across this... pretty cool. Not a lot of instructions but it's a pretty basic design. I'm not too familiar with fiberglass but it can't be that hard right?

Sure seems like someone could make one of these in their spare time.

I may look into it and see if I can get some instructions put together... hmmm...

http://www.singlewheel.com/OneOfAKindFR.htm

Bike
st1300
STOC #
Hmmm the things you could do with an E... T....

Very interesting find, Joe.

Now, where to find that spare time....

Bike
Thruxton
STOC #
I would be very interested in more info.. Basic frame dimensions would be most helpful. I could see building something like that!

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yeah.. problem is, I'm not a welder and I've never worked with fiberglass or done any body work... LOL.. no telling what it would look like if I did it.

jmcglash

JAFO
STOC #
Joe,

It's too bad your not closer to NYC or you could start on this Monday...

http://lemurplex.org/classes.html

Fun With Fiberglass
Basic Composite Fabrication
Monday, April 30, 6:30-9:30 pm
Instructor: Bob Huott
The cost for Fun with Fiberglass is $115, including lab fee.
Lab kit includs fiberglass fabricating materials.

Learn the skills and techniques used to build custom objects using fiberglass and epoxy. Students will get hands-on experience in various stages of the process, starting with sculpting a foam pattern, followed by glass lay-up and final finishing. Materials will include partially completed samples to work with so we can move between stages without waiting for epoxy to cure. Discussion will include ideas on how to integrate sensors, lighting or haptics into any project, and students are encouraged to bring their own project ideas to the class. Bob will also give a brief, inside-out tour of the Bean, his own composite sensor-based musical instrument.

If all goes well I'll be there. I'll let you know how easy or hard I find it.

Jim

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Cool, can't wait to hear about it Jim.. It just can't be that bad...the hardest part has to be making the skeleton shape then it's just paper mache right? LOL w/ a mask...

You can probably get some of the uni-go frame parts for around $1k and if you did the body and paint yourself.. I'm thinking in the end you might save $1k on the entire trailer... but, still lots of odds and ends to be done..

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
80 lbs of putty, metal and fiberglass...
And months and months of work... and he still notices that there is a difference in the twisties...

I think it might be cheaper to by the Uni-go!

Mark

Bike
Thruxton
STOC #
Yeah.. problem is, I'm not a welder and I've never worked with fiberglass or done any body work... LOL.. no telling what it would look like if I did it.
I have a welder, and have lots of experience with fiberglass/bodywork from my custom car days.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I need help getting the helmet tonight... It should do nicely!

Hey Joe, does it matter that it has a big red N instead of a DQ on it???
LOL... nope, shouldn't matter one bit.. :clap2:

Bike
ST 1300
I stumbled across this... pretty cool. Not a lot of instructions but it's a pretty basic design. I'm not too familiar with fiberglass but it can't be that hard right?

Sure seems like someone could make one of these in their spare time.

I may look into it and see if I can get some instructions put together... hmmm...

http://www.singlewheel.com/OneOfAKindFR.htm
NICE FIND JOE!!! Not am I interested. I'll come out and help you put yours together, if we can do mine at the same time. :D

"I have now towed it at over 180kmh (a little over 110mph) with a 40kg load and it tracks really well. I felt that it was important to over-engineer and test at extreme speed if I was to have confidence that it wouldn't do anything unexpected at the most inappropriate time!"

Good thing that time didn't come at 110 mph.

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
You could use the pink foam board to make it look like a DQ sign too! (or a red football helmet)!

Mark

Sink

TwiSTieholic
Bike
ST 1100
STOC #
Hmmmm. I looked this morning and the big helmet on top of the pole at the Husker shop is GONE! Wonder who got it???

On a non-related note, anybody want to buy a fiberglass trailer topper???

Top Bottom