DL650 -3 most important farkles

Bike
2004 DL 650
If one was to buy a DL650abs what would be the first three farkles added to the bike.
1 Gps
2 Givi luggage
3 5.5 gal fuel cell
4 Autocom
Not in any order just the basics, My 2004 has 44000 miles with on major issues and still going strong.

I have a dl1000.madstad bracket for windsheild buffeting problem,engine guard,centerstand (not from swmotech) I have 30+ farkles and this is where I'd start!!! :)

Bike
ST1300 '08
I had one, sold it for my ST. But a great bike in many ways. If you buy a DL you MUST get a fork brace. Totally changes (for the way better) how the bike handles, esp in the wind, to which it is quite vulnerable. MadStad is probably #2 - and the stock shield is fine with that. I bought a pricey aftermarket windshield and all it did for me was block more air, but maybe rode worse than the stock one. And the Nelson-Rigg soft bags are a bargain and work great too. I also did Sonics on mine and liked the difference but that was dwarfed by the difference the fork brace made. Those front forks are long and too thin and flex all over the place. Engine runs forever, easy to work on, all that. Good bike.

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
I have an 08 ABS and the first three farkles added were crashbars, skidplate and Givi luggage.
If you are going to venture off pavement, some protection for the oil cooler and filter are essential IMO.
I love the Wee and still prefer it over the ST when riding solo.
I dont have a fork brace and still use the stock windshield which looks better than the aftermarket ones but does not offer as much protection. Also with a larger shield you will get pushed around more in the wind especially on a lighter bike like the Wee.

Bike
Honda ST1300
From an owner of one of these fine machines.

Better seat.
Center Stand.
Better windshield.
Givi Trunk and side bags, if you have the cash.

The seat is terrible. Mine is still stock, but I get by just fine with a butt padd. I have two but the Airhawk is simply outstanding. I rode all the way from Texas to Wisconsin and back with no sore butts at all, even on 600 mile days. By the way. The thing will cruise all day at 70 mph with no problem and plenty of giddy yap for a pass or two.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
1. Center stand
2. Madstad bracket (for the windshield)
3. GIV or other soft type paniers/ topbox

tha is what I had on mine and workedd well. (sold it for VFR than the VFR for ST)

STOC #
Three won't do it......

MadSTad
Hand Guards
Sargent Saddle (truST me - you will not like the STock 650 saddle)
Center STand
Powerlet (to power your Zumo 550)
Givi rack (so you use your E360 on the DL as well as your ST)

BTDT

(maybe I'll do it again someday)

;)

Bike
ST1300 '08
+1 on the center stand... I forgot I had to add that to mine too! I miss that bike tho.. good machine. simple and fun.

Bike
'07 ST1300
Seat, suspension and SV1000 four pot front calipers with SVracing adapters. That's if you like to ride fast and are made of money.
Seat, front springs and HH sintered brake pads. that's if you're not so rich.
Or maybe a bar riser, Madstad and center stand for even less, just ride slower.
SpeedoHealer, Stebel horn and crash bars for safety.

Red Brown

Your humble scribe.
Bike
Yamaha CP3
If one was to buy a DL650abs what would be the first three farkles added to the bike.

The biggest negative on the bike is the horrific wind-buffeting as a result from the very smallish windscreen being placed too far from the the riders body. Getting the Maad-Stad <sp> bracket will do wonders in changing the rake of the screen to reduce buffeting.

After that, it is like most other bikes, it needs a better seat for long-distance riding and the front forks are very soft and tend to dive at sudden stops, so you might spring <no pun> for new coils in the front and adding a fork-brace does tighten up the feel of the bike.

Playful engine, large fuel tank can provide close to 300 miles between fill-ups, nimble and with added TKC80 knobbies a decent modest dual-sport bike to boot.

Great bike for the price. The ABS models are a bit hard to find and command full retail price. The ABS cannot be turned off but you can create a switch to accomplish that. The only time you might want it off is if you indulge in a bit of dual-sporting, especially on gravel roads.

Red

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I have decided on the first three farkles for the Wee. Center stand, bash plate, engine/tank guards. Who makes the best of these. Who has the best value for the dollar? Thanks

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
I have decided on the first three farkles for the Wee. Center stand, bash plate, engine/tank guards. Who makes the best of these. Who has the best value for the dollar? Thanks
Good choices on initial farkles.
I went with the Amotostuff skid plate and the SW motech crash bars which look better than the Givis IMO and allow you to take the fairings off without removing the bars. The AmotoStuff skid plate is really well made and very strong although I have not tested it on rocks yet and it makes the Wee look like a real ADV bike.
I decided to purchase a hydraulic motorcycle jack for the shop instead of the centre stand as it was less money and does not reduce cornering or ground clearance.
If you go to http://stromtrooper.com you will be able to find lots of pics and info.

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Well I went and order all my STuff. Ordered every thing from Happy Trails. Good prices and excellent Customer Service. As it turned out the fisrt three Farkles are 1. GPS hard wire, 2. Electric gear hard wire, 3. BMW Sport Grips, INHO the best grips around.
Here is the STuff I ordered. Should be here next week.

1GIVI-E528-PLATEGIVI V-Strom Top Case Mounting Plate
GIVI-TN532GIVI Engine Guards
1505.3501Vstrom Centerstand for Suzuki DL650
1ADV DL-5 (Black/Silver)Skid Plate for Suzuki DL650/DL1000 (by Adventure MotoStuff)

Engine Guard GIVI (DL-GIVI)
[/LIST]
1GIVI-PL532Suzuki DL650 Vstrom GIVI Case Holder
1MCYAWM04-BKAdjustable Windshield Mount - Suzuki V-Strom '04+ (by MadStad)
1GIVI-E41GIVI E41 Keyless Case (price is for pair)
1HTP4-1-16KLR650 Adustable Centerstand '87-'07

Top Bottom