Do friends let friends buy a 2005 Yamaha FJR?

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
I am just starting to look at a 2005 FJR that has 90 thousand miles on it. The seller is the third owner. He says he rode it quite a bit two years ago but not much last year. When he retrieved it from storage today, the "check engine light" came on, so he wants to investigate that before selling.
I
Does anyone know what the main issues tend to be on such a bike?
I might be able to see and ride it tomorrow.

If I buy it as is, about how much should I ask him to lower the price?

I will want to verify that the brakes have ABS, but I predict they also have a linking or combining, front to rear, that cannot be "turned off"

Oh, he says the engine valves were checked at 70k miles.
Thanks in advance for your comments.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DaveWooster

DaveWooster

Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
It looks now as if there is both an ABS model and a plain, non ABS model. Does anyone know how to look at the VIN and distinguish between those two types?

Do both types have linking of brakes that cannot be turned off?

Do both types have two brake lines to each front brake caliper?

Bike
VStrom 650
I thought it was the Gen II from 2006 that had the UBS linked set up. Didn't the non ABS have blue calipers instead of the ABS's silver ones.
I would guess any braking system can be un ABS'd and un linked, it's just the difficulty in doing so. Someone must have done it on the FJR forum.
Good luck.
Upt'North.

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
The only issue I have seen consistently is the cost of a tip over. I've talked to a few owners that have had up to $1,000 USD in tupperware and mirrors to replace with a simple tip over at low speed or from a standstill. I'm not sure about your ST1100, but the worst I've gotten on the 1300 is a scratched saddle bag and engine guard cover... and a little embarrassment.

Bike
2010 ST1300
To answer the thread title's question, of course! I know nothing about FJR's, but I thought all ABS equipped bikes have some sort of sensor near a perforated disk on the wheel. My point is you should be able to ID an ABS bike visually without needing the VIN.

The ABS works by sensing wheel rotation (or lack thereof). The sensor picks up a varying magnetic field from that disk, which might look like a flat gear or a piece of sheet metal with holes/slots punched in it. The only other system I've ever seen that detects rotation are optical systems - and they are not reliable due to dirt buildup.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
A 2005 FJR is Gen 1. Significant improvements were made in the Gen 2 version which ran from 2006 thru the 2012 model.
If you look around you can find some screaming deals on low mileage Gen 2s. That would be a better direction IMO.

Here's a link to everything you ever wanted to know about Gen 2s. It was put together and maintained by riders. Its extensive.
https://candybuttorg.ipage.com/cba/node/590

Near the top of that page there's a broken link <Model Comparison Chart> which has some useful info in it. If you would like it and can't find by Googling around a bit let me know and I'll see if I can track it down. (Some of these pages are on members only sections which is a hassle)

Last edited:
Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Ah yes... the Gen1 ABS did not have linked brakes, and I believe the calipers were silver vs. the standard blue. The trigger wheel has a black cover over it with the wheel sensor mounted in it... if it has wheel sensors front and back, it has ABS. 90k is fine, one can stretch valve check intervals. Yes it doesn't have engine guards or crash bars like ST's do, there are aftermarket ones or frame sliders. The springs in the suspension are rather weak, cheap to upgrade with fork springs (Traxxion kit is plug and play, ~$130)... a rear shock from a Gen3 (2013 up, ~$425)... big improvement if you do both. Aftermarket shocks available also (suspension parts compatible with all models except ES (optional '14 and up).
Agree with Jeff, there are deals out there on Gen2's, get '08 up if you can as '06-'07 were lean in the fueling. Reply to PM incoming.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
There are a couple of screaming deals on used 2014 models which I believe are the Gen 3's on the FJR forum. Like $7500 with farkles.

STOC #
I rode a 2004 for a couple of years. Very good handling bike, good engine, not as smooth as the ST but what is lol, and beware of ticking valves. Can be a very expensive repair. Seems not all the bikes had the problem; mine was starting to develop it but at much fewer miles. Sounds like the one you're considering might be one of the good ones.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
I rode a 2004 for a couple of years. Very good handling bike, good engine, not as smooth as the ST but what is lol, and beware of ticking valves. Can be a very expensive repair. Seems not all the bikes had the problem; mine was starting to develop it but at much fewer miles. Sounds like the one you're considering might be one of the good ones.
Ticking ... perhaps another reason to look at Gen 2s or newer, although this top end noise caused by very quick-wearing exhaust valve guides was a problem that only occurred in fewer than 10% of Gen1s (2003,04,05). It became noticeable early on in the age of the bike i.e. less than 10,000 miles so at 90,000 miles the bike in question should be fine for this concern. Ticker repairs were expensive and getting Yamaha to cover it was an uphill fight.

Bike
2000 ST1100
When I was gathering information on the FJR's seems I recall that the older ones had a heat problem similar to the ST1300's. Might want to check that out. Also I recall several owners of older FJR 1300"s complain of "ground spider wiring problems" leading to your bike shutting down suddenly. Check that out too.

OP
OP
DaveWooster

DaveWooster

Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
A 2005 FJR is Gen 1. Significant improvements were made in the Gen 2 version which ran from 2006 thru the 2012 model.
If you look around you can find some screaming deals on low mileage Gen 2s. That would be a better direction IMO.

Here's a link to everything you ever wanted to know about Gen 2s. It was put together and maintained by riders. Its extensive.
https://candybuttorg.ipage.com/cba/node/590

Near the top of that page there's a broken link <Model Comparison Chart> which has some useful info in it. If you would like it and can't find by Googling around a bit let me know and I'll see if I can track it down. (Some of these pages are on members only sections which is a hassle)
Unless this is a fantastic deal, I'd look at later FJR models as the Ferret points out.
Jeff F, it will be this 2005 or nothing for me at this point. I was glad to see that it has NOT the UBS linking found on later models.

Fnmag, he was asking USD $1900 before he got it out of winter storage and found the check engine light on. I think it is standard non-ABS; please assume that before commenting on a fair price. (It does include a Sargent seat with a backrest and a Givi rear trunk, But no farkles.)

Thanks for ALL responses; further comments are welcome, too, as I may have to make a quick decision on this local 2005 FJR soon.

Last edited:
Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Jeff F, it will be this 2005 or nothing for me at this point. I was glad to see that it has NOT the UBS linking found on later models.

Fnmag, he was asking USD $1900 before he got it out of winter storage and found the check engine light on. I think it is standard non-ABS; please assume that before commenting on a fair price. (It does include a Sargent seat with a backrest. But no farkles.)

Thanks for ALL responses; further comments are welcome, too, as I may have to make a quick decision on this local 2005 FJR soon.
Sounds like a fair price. Knowing Pops (Rayzerman) I expect you're already getting help with the check engine light.
`Best Dave, Jeff

st1300doug

Sold my '06 ST1300 last April........for '08 FJR1300 AE. Paid $4600 for a low milege (21K) pristine unit. Loved my ST1300 but wanted that AE- Paddle shift feature. Love it. Hit & miss /different features & specs. You didn't say what he wanted in terms of $$$$. But- with that high mileage....I'd NOT pay more than $2500. Too many new, lower mile FJR's for the $money$.

Top Bottom