Do the Hondaline fairing deflectors keep the engine heat off your legs?

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
I ran an errand from one end of town to the other yesterday. Bike said the air temp was 93F. But the air hitting my lower legs felt like it came out of a jet engine. Do Honda's deflectors for the ST1300 keep the heat off your legs? If so, are they removable (I'll take whatever heat I can get in the winter)?

Bike
04 ST1300A
They do not. They channel the wind come at you around the rider. The heat that the engine blows out does not pass over or around the deflectors.
People have put holes in their inner fairings to help get more air to the engine and cool it down.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
They helped me. They provide a little more push of the heat out and away from your legs that is coming out of the valve cover area. You still get heat on your feet.

They are put on with double sided tape. Once they are on, they are on. You can take them off, but that means having to re tape everything and clean off the old tape. I did this once when I had to replace a mirror housing, not fun. They have helped me in the 110 degree heat that I ride in.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
On my ST1100 with the Hondaline fairing wind deflectors, I'd say, "yes" they do. They mount with screws and come off easily, but years ago I started leaving them on year 'round. My VP Jean foot deflectors also. FWIW YMMV

John

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
It seems a bit counter-intuitive, but I believe that they've reduced the heat a bit on my 1300. They also give you a bit bigger envelope of wind protection. I'd buy them again.

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
I have fairing deflectors and VP Accessories rain shields (foot deflectors) on my 1300 and have never noticed excessive heat.

zooker13

Ken Zook
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I have them and they work great. In cold weather you can take the small access covers off and get some of the engine heat on your lower body.

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
I noticed a significant reduction in heat with the deflectors. As suggested above, another thing that helps is removing the inner cowls (some have drilled holes in theirs but I like the idea of being able to replace them when I want). One more suggestion, if you don't already, ride with tall boots and long pants. The heat may still be there but you won't feel it as much. ;)

Bike
2007 ST 1300
Having ridden without the deflectors and now with them on my ST1300, I would say they certainly do help keep the heat away from your legs. Worth the cost imho.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I'm not sure if they help keep heat away because mine have been on since I got the bike. One they do is keep the cool air from hitting you.
I hang my knee out and cup my hand to direct air towards me on the road.

OP
OP
fiziks

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
There are already holes cut in the inner cowl (not a pretty job by the previous owner). I am also considering exhaust wrap, which may or may not help, depending on where the majority of the heat is coming from. I'm also going to change out the coolant (which appears to need a change - the resevoir looks dry, but the radiator was full when I had the plastic off and checked a couple weeks ago). I don't wear tall boots, but I do usually wear long pants and last time I wore long pants (trousers for you folks in the UK) in that kind of heat, it felt like the pants were on fire. Fortunately, it doesn't usually get that hot up here in the summer.

Bike
Super Tenere
Without doubt they do deflect a lot of the heat away from your legs.
I'm on my second ST1300. I put 123K on my first ST and 90K on my present ST. I know the bike pretty well.
Also, I live in South Florida where our riding is hot most of the time.
About a year ago I rode my buddy's ST home for him. He did not have the fairing deflectors and my legs were pretty much baked after 50 miles of riding.
The deflectors apply with double sided tape so they really aren't easily removable, so get use to the looks once you put them on the bike.
Hope this helps. -JEP-

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
+1 on the deflectors. I can't say what the heat is like without them but I have no issues with excessive heat and the weather protection is outstanding

Bike
2004 ST1300
A couple questions to these threads;
1. The inner cowl is designed (me thinks) to deflect air into the radiator. Has anyone with inner cowl removed/holes had engine temp issues?
2. Did wrapping the exhaust make a noticable difference?
3. Has anyone adhered thin layer insulation to the middle cowl or would this tend to trap heat in the fairing cavity?
Thanks, Greg

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
A couple questions to these threads;
1. The inner cowl is designed (me thinks) to deflect air into the radiator. Has anyone with inner cowl removed/holes had engine temp issues?
2. Did wrapping the exhaust make a noticable difference?
3. Has anyone adhered thin layer insulation to the middle cowl or would this tend to trap heat in the fairing cavity?
Thanks, Greg
I can't speak to numbers 2 or 3 but I have removed the inner cowls on mine. I have noticed a significant reduction in heat but have not noticed any overheating of the engine. I think you are right, in that the inner cowls "funnel" the air through the radiator and that hot air that exits the radiator is what is contributing to the heat you feel. By removing the inner cowls, the air that bypasses the radiator basically blankets the hot air exiting the radiator and provides a layer of insulation from the hot air coming off the radiator. I can't speak for others, but I have not noticed any overheating at all since I removed mine -- and I have ridden in temperatures as high as 110 degrees here in Texas -- my temperature gauge always stays put on three bars.

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom