Do the Hondaline fairing deflectors keep the engine heat off your legs?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
A couple of weeks ago I rode my '04 into work. At that time I had a air deflector on the left side (no air deflector maintenance cover - regular cover in place) and no air deflector on the right side. (I have since remedied that with a new set off ebay) I could feel the diffence in my legs. The right side was hotter then the left. And I could feel the heat coming from the missing air deflector maintenance cover on the left. Now with air deflectors on both sides, the heat is less, but I can still feel some coming through, just not as much!

MileHigh

Juvenile delinquent
Bike
2006 ST
STOC #
I have the Hondaline deflectors on mine.

I feel they do a good job while moving above 25 MPH on those "hotter than the 4th of July days."

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Removed the INNER cowls w/in first 100 miles of ownership, Now have 52k, and no eng. temp. issues. 3 Bars all the time. Plenty of air gets to radiator.
The big aluminum frame castings down by the foot pegs radiate a LOT of heat to lower legs and ankles on my bike - might work on some heat shields for this area. Good luck. SB

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
- might work on some heat shields for this area. Good luck. SB
This is what I think needs to be done, Heat Shields under the tank going to under the saddle, along with lower fairings and sidecovers (and on '08 and after and those that added the addtional side covers) have a heat shield covering those areas too...

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
Why would you want to buy "a pair having trouble"? :shrug2:

They do go for crazy money these days. There's a set of fairing and mirror deflectors on eBay here in the UK. They're used (so you'd have to buy 3M VHB tape) and bidding is currently at £195 (US $254).

deflectors.jpg

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thats not bad for the 8 piece set. David Silver is listing the new 4 piece set at £145 - even though he has no stock. That is the two long strips at the top, and the two infills at the right of the photo.

I've nearly always had these fitted from new. But I once rode it without - it must have been on my first ST1300 before I bought and fitted them as extras - the heat was quite noticeable. With them fitted on really cold days, the only way that I can get engine heat on my legs is to splay my knees out quite a long way. So yes, they work. I don't think that I could get my legs in that position now. But I no longer have to ride when it is cold.

Last edited:
Top Bottom