Do you ride in deer collision country? (By State)

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
NJ #36 1-250 I think that is wrong we have tons of the critters everywhere mostly in places you can't hunt. See lots of dead ones on the roadside. Lots of them end up as wolf food at the wolf preserve. George I don't hunt them but have friends that do and get at least one in the freezer every year. Just had venison chili the other night.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Michigan #8 14% increase for this year , I hit one on my ST ( with 4 deer whistles ) 3 years ago , but got lucky because only CB antenna wrapped around it's snout. Also bumped one in the butt with van - knocked 1 of the deer whistles off bumper ! Son hit one with Outback - over $2500 in damage.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
I went from 1 in 903 (FL) to 1 in 67 (PA). About the only thing I liked about riding in FL was being able to ride at night without the fear of a deer strike. I lived on the coast in a place where the deer simply did not ever make an appearance.
I whacked one is Wesley Chapel a few years ago. Forest rats scare the crap out of me.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
NJ #36 1-250 I think that is wrong we have tons of the critters everywhere mostly in places you can't hunt. See lots of dead ones on the roadside. Lots of them end up as wolf food at the wolf preserve. George I don't hunt them but have friends that do and get at least one in the freezer every year. Just had venison chili the other night.
Wolf preserve in New Jersey? I haven't heard of it. Where is it? Can one visit?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Although it can happen any time, I try not to ride at dawn and twilight. That is when the deer are moving the most and hard to see.
+1. I've been through deer country and we did the same. A buddy has hit three deer on his way home from work or his barn all in twilight. Even though he's watchful he's been ambushed all three times.

Bike
1992 ST1100
STOC #
last half of my ride to work is in PA #3. Yesterday on my way home 4 deer crossed in front of me and there were 3 dead ones on the side of the road. Boss asked me to come in early to work today. Had to ride the back roads of PA in the dark. I WAS on my toes.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I just had 2 of them walking down the road in front of my house. And I live in the city limits! I grew up in the same neighborhood that I live in now. 50 years ago when we were out in the country I never saw any deer. I have 5 or 6 that bed down in my backyard now! I guess all the development in Clt has ruined their habitat and now they live right among us?

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
As I read and post in this thread, I'm looking out the window at my mom's house in Shady Cove, OR watching two deer in her back yard. I'm waiting for it to warm up in the mountains east of here so the snow and ice melts so I can ride (the mighty KTM 950) home to Montana. I'll be dodging forest rats the whole way. Montana deer season opens October 22.

Bike
2006 ST1300 A
Wisconsin 1 in 77. I hit one with a van a number of years back. My wife nailed one with her van 2 years ago. My cousin hit one while on his Valkyrie and spent 6 weeks in the hospital. I live in an area with high deer numbers and always see them alongside the road and in the adjacent fields along with numerous carcasses that have been hit by someone else. It has never affected my riding schedule. I think my chances of a run in with a deer are a lot less than a run in with a cager on my way to work on the freeway. Lots more cagers and they do a lot more stupid things.

Fast Ed

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I have seen lots of deer within dashing distance of the road this year, so far they have been adequately cautious. Back in early June, just east of Texarkana, 11:30 pm or so, we nearly had a close encounter. A doe ran from the woods and came to a halt right at the white line along the roadside. Two fawns ran up behind her and stopped. I had a car beside me and couldn't move left and was too close to brake so I hit the horn. She turned her head and neck aside with a few feet to spare, then dashed back off into the woods. All this happened in a span of three seconds or so. No time to even get excited.

Bike
'10 R12RT
It's been a while, but I went through a 7 year period where I hit 5 deer. All in the AM on the way to work. Luckily always in the truck.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Ohio is #19, and I had one jump out right in front of me one evening around dusk... close call but it's the state patrol jumping out in front of you that you really have to watch out for! (This may just be a personal problem though)
Another Ohio rider. I worry about the ones jumping out behind me.

This spring I was riding to a bike breakfast around 8.15 AM, and saw three in someone's yard ahead of me. Thanks to the discussions here I started slowing down immediately. Wouldn't you know, mama decided to bolt across the road when I got close enough, and one of her kids was a near miss.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Had this thread in mind as I rode back and forth from MD (25th-ranked overall; I suspect the odds in western MD are much greater than in the DC/Baltimore corridor but they are plentiful in my suburb) through western PA (3rd), OH (19th), and IN (23rd) on my way to and from Chicago this past weekend. Saw a number of carcasses but no live forest rats. Mostly slab riding, but of course they manage to get in there as well.

Bike
2010 ST1300
A near miss is a hit.--George Carlin
Yes, you are right. What I meant was it was a close call.

???You ride in reverse???
Lol. I have no idea what I wrote here. The deer were grazing behind a big tree in the front yard, and I remember thinking they would bolt from behind that tree as I approached. And was thinking exactly that when I wrote this. Better engage the brain before I let my fingers do the walking next time.

Bike
Tiger 800
1. Besides the number of deer the road conditions and visibility are huge factors in deer colisions. They are always hard to see at night, but when the brush and grass grow nearly out to the roadway it dosen't give us much time to react. Here in northern WI the DOT has a stupid policy to limit the amount of roadside mowing in order to protect nesting birds. We could do a much better job of making our roads safer by mowing the roadsides. I feel more confident riding in MT than WI because the visibility is much better.

2. Deer are not the only species of wildlife to contend with. We have a very high populatioin of bears where I live too. And then there are turkeys, coyotes, wolves, coons, badgers, and dogs, cattle, horses, and debris falling from trucks and trailers. Add to that the car parts like rusty mufflers, fluids, sand/gravel, pot holes . . . . . .
I've had close calls with all of the above, but only hit one deer (on a bike). Ours is a dangerous sport. I came real close to hitting a llama once - you just never know.

Top Bottom