Do you ride with your top box?

OP
OP
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for all the top box responses! I have a number of great ideas here including the Corbin Smuggler seat/case, the Hi-Viz on the saddle bags and fender. I love the ldea of having a brake light on it too. Is that a big install if I already have a Givi 46?

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for all the top box responses! I have a number of great ideas here including the Corbin Smuggler seat/case, the Hi-Viz on the saddle bags and fender. I love the ldea of having a brake light on it too. Is that a big install if I already have a Givi 46?
I would consider putting a Whelen strip light under your GIVI mounting plate like I did. That gives you a high mount brake, tail, and turn light even when you choose not to ride with the top box.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I always ride with one. I like the convenience of it and I typically add power to keep my phone charged and lights for visibility. I'm currently running a givi v46 with admore led lights wired for running/brake/signals.

Here's someone's video on how they work.

Yes, I have taken to riding with my GIVI topbox as well because of the extra lights it incorporates. I also used those from Admore - they are very high quality and installation is easy.

Pete

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
The VERY FIRST item my wife TOLD me to buy was a Topbox for my 2005. I got it before I bought my RDL (which I really wanted that RDL first! :rolleyes:

Since then, I have put one on each of my ST1300s! :dr13::bl13: :bk13::bl13::bk13:

And they stay on all the time!

When I change my 2012 over to :dr13:, I'll have to get one of the topboxes painted to match it.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
I have a Hondaline Top box that stays on all the time. I bought a Gold Wing Tour that had the top box removed. I'm seriously considering reinstalling it. I like the bagger look but miss the secure space.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
If he has to go into a Post Office, Federal building or school, he would need to lock his weapon in his bike because some places don't allow you to carry there.
Ah, that makes sense and that explains everything. Thanks for the reply.

Michael

OP
OP
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
The other thing about the top box is tha it makes the bike “look” bigger and this, it is less likely that some nitwit in a cage will challenge you or not notice you.
Oh this is interesting - I will have to consider this. Makes sense to me.

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
Personally, and it's all down to personal choice, I dislike top boxes as they're too high, too far back over the rear axle, and way too easy to overload putting weight in precisely the wrong place.
I did buy one so that my wife had something to lean against on long rides, but she didn't find it comfortable to lean back on and obstructive to getting on the bike, so I bought a Pirates Lair backrest which she loves.
But, it's a personal choice...

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
If he has to go into a Post Office, Federal building or school, he would need to lock his weapon in his bike because some places don't allow you to carry there.
Carry could also be an issue when touring. Coast to coast, you will encounter different laws. Only a few states have reciprocity agreements. Even 'concealed' laws differ between states. Given our current political situation, 'know before you go' if you carry.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Carry could also be an issue when touring. Coast to coast, you will encounter different laws. Only a few states have reciprocity agreements. Even 'concealed' laws differ between states. Given our current political situation, 'know before you go' if you carry.
My permit has reciprocity with 37 states. I can usually route myself through those states. Although sometimes I may have to "sneak" through a state or 2. In those states it is legal to separate gun and ammo in separate locked storage to travel through.

Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have my Hondaline Topbox on for more than 1 days trips and, of course, when the wife is a passenger on the bike. Otherwise, I ride with my Corbin Smuggler. I can fit 2 growlers in my smuggler, LOL!

Top Bottom