Armor Do you use Armor, yes or no?

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
Absolutely I wear armor... yeah sometimes I cheat and wear jean pants, but not often.

Here's a simple example to help explain why:

Fortunately it's not often... but you can be doing as little as 20 mph, on a side street near where you live (for example)... something goes wrong, it's a dog that unexpectedly gets under your front tire, or someone pulls right into you without looking that you have to avoid, the list goes on and on, etc etc etc.

You can find yourself with your head going straight for the curb, no stopping it, and you didn't wear your helmet. Or you could find yourself sliding down the asphalt road in a heart beat...

While these things happen rarely riding without protection is still a gamble, most of the time you'll win. But the one time you lose, could be a very expensive choice.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Yes on armor. I was very disappointed when I "outgrew" (they must have shrunk...yea...) my old Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 pants, with full armor, Kevlar patches, etc. I ordered a newer, replacement identical (well, Ballistic 5.0) pants from someone who bought a size too large. I received them...to find that apparently the Ballistic 5.0 pants no longer have the kevlar or armor! They are also a much thinner material, thin nylon instead of heavy like the old pants and my jacket. I've checked the tags...both are listed as Ballistic 5.0...but they are far different pants.

The only thing I don't have armor on are my gloves, and that is only because I haven't found any gloves that fit me well that have armor. They are on my short list of things to buy.

Jim

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
Yep, Armored Jackets, Pants, Or Kevlar Jeans with additional Armor, Full Face Helmet and Armored Gloves....Oh, I forgot I always wear Motorcycle specific boots.

Bike
2013 K1600GTL
STOC #
ATGATT!!

I have Aerostitch Darien Jacket and Pants and usually wear Combat Light boots. It did take a bit to get used to the longer cut jacket and for it to "break-in". I started with the normal pads in the jacket (shoulder, elbow) and the Competition Back Pad. I tried all the sizes of the Competition Back Pad and could not get comfortable. The main problem was the Competition Back Pad hit the rear of my helmet, pushing it forward. Very frustrating.

I shifted to the regular Back Pad and have had no issues (I am going to look at the Bohn Armor). I added the hip pads in my Darien Pants (they only come with knee armor) and Love them! I just wish you could vent them in hot weather!!

If I am on anything longer than a day ride, I wear my Aerostitch with LD Comfort shorts and longsleeve shirt underneath (if it is hot I just wet the shirt, works great!). If I am riding locally or just out for the day, especially when it is HOT here I have full mesh Joe Rocket jacket and pants and Tourmaster Solution boots.

The majority of minor injuries from riding in southern Italy have been knee, hip and elbow road rash and bruising. Unfortunately there is no mid ground here, either the injuries are minor or BAD. Friday night here a sportbike rider basically broke all the large bones on his right side. Unfortunately no details yet. Here is an example of a low side laydown (rider error): http://contour.com/stories/analyze-this. The last 10 seconds of the video is the lay down. Mark in front, G next, me and Frank behind me. Two HD Road Kings up front, my ST and a VTX. Lots of mistakes made on this one! Engine guard saved the HD. Left elbow was road rashed and bruised. Could have been lots worse!! The four of us ride together a lot, I don't know what G was thinking dirtbiking a Roadking!!

Dress for thr crash not the ride!!

JD

Bike
ST1300 '08
absolutely and all the time. IMO we have to take care of the variables that ARE in our control, and gearing up is one of those... ups the odds, hopefully.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Here is an example of a low side laydown (rider error):

The "rider error" was attempting to take a Harley through the turns. Looks like the floor board scraped down hard. Keep them at low speed cruising where they belong. Then again, their air-cooled engines usually overheat doing that...O.K., park them in the driveway and polish the chrome...lol.

absolutely and all the time. IMO we have to take care of the variables that ARE in our control, and gearing up is one of those... ups the odds, hopefully.

I laugh every time I hear (or read) someone saying that they can still get hurt anyway, so why wear the gear? I wear as much as I can, which reduces the odds of an injury. While those odds won't be zero, they will be reduced. If I cut the odds of getting an injury in half, I've done well. Now I'm no safety nazi, but I look at the practical picture- injuries take time to heal, and cost money. If I have more time, and money, for riding...I win. If I end up with some bruising and minor scrapes, instead of dead, I'll be able to ride again.

Jim

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
I have a really nice leather jacket, with zippered vents down the back edges and other hidden slits. My son bought it for me, after returning from Afganistan.
Love it allot. I also have the armored high vis yellow, olympic jacket. I love that when long trips with unpredictable weather makes for the below waist jacket a welcome friend.
Nice to have both worlds.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
Absolutely I wear armor and I wish to echo what Mellow has said. In my recent accident I did have some road rash and it is healing nicely. My main problem is from the impact of my body with the road; 6 cracked ribs and a partically collasped left lung. I will not leave home without armor on.
DavidT.

Yes, absolutely... the armor is 1/2 the protection and a crash is not just about road rash... so much is about the initial impact.

Take your armor out.. put your jacket on and have a friend punch you in the arm as hard as he can...

Bike
99 ST1100
I wear my TourMaster jacket 99% of the time. It's nicely armored elbows, shoulders and back. Sometimes when the heat is just oppressive I'll lose the jacket and just ride in a T-shirt and jeans (with boots and gloves).

I'm still trying to find riding pants that actually fit me and are cool enough to wear 99% of time.

(Please don't scold me. I know it should be 100% but when it's 98 degrees and 90% humidity I sometimes skip the armor.)

Top Bottom