Armor Do you use Armor, yes or no?

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Don't think that this is just plain foam, like carpet padding. Well, on some jackets it may be
The jacket that I have (First Gear Teton) has the new d3o armor in the elbows and shoulder only and an EVA foam pad in the back. I agree, if the jacket has the d3o armor for a back protector (or other hard pad), then no need to upgrade. I did a quick look at a random sampling of the jackets on the Motorcyclegear.com site and I could not find any jacket that had more than the "dense foam" back protector.

Rod

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
always ATTGAT. C3 armor is my minimum and have the optional SASTEC back pad in my Revit Defender. Lee Parks gloves, C3 helmet, Revit Sand pants and TCX boots. Ride for the crash. When it's hot I wear the TCX air boots and open the many vents on the jacket and pants. I have a few HD riding friends that ask me how can I stand to wear a full face helmet when it's hot....it's easy, as soon as I remember how much I like keeping my face where it is. I do have a buddy who use to wear a 3/4 helmet. He now wears a Schuberth Concept flip and has a full beard to cover the big scars where his chin hit the ground. He had no other injuries in a minor slow speed get off.

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
The jacket that I have (First Gear Teton) has the new d3o armor in the elbows and shoulder only and an EVA foam pad in the back. I agree, if the jacket has the d3o armor for a back protector (or other hard pad), then no need to upgrade. I did a quick look at a random sampling of the jackets on the Motorcyclegear.com site and I could not find any jacket that had more than the "dense foam" back protector.

Rod
MAny manufacturers have an optional upgraded back pad. Many people don't think the armor back pad will be comfortable. The better ones are quite comfortable. The SAStec and 3D0 are soft until impact and they mold to your body, yet go instantly rigid with outstanding protection when impacted. High tec to get comfort and protection at the same time...you get what you pay for in this case, but they aren't really expensive...in the $40-$50 range...not bad.

racinj

Jason Johnson
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I wear Armor. Hot or not the gear goes on. I do not like the thought of my hide getting ground off by the pavement.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
When someone asks me if it's hot with all that gear on, I say that it's cooler then peroxide being applied by emt's.
"Yeah it's hot but I can take a shower. It takes a while to grow skin back though" usually works as well.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I only wear that crap when I plan on crashing. It is good to always plan for the worst so it is a no brainer for me and I always have it on when on the road. My bacon stayed uncooked once in So. Mo. cuz I had it on. I am very close to 100% usage.

Bike
ST1100AX '99
STOC #
+1 always armor for elbows-shoulders-BACK, but not always for knee and hips (I wish and hope I will never have to pay for this.......)

TinyL

Wingin It
Bike
2010 Wing
STOC #
I only wear that crap when I plan on crashing.
Just used my "armor" again last night. Was just 20 miles from my reserved Hotel room in North Platte, NE when Severe Weather popped up on the Radar. My track was on the edge so I tried to sneak thru...was going approximately 30 mph when the truck drivers started warning each other on the CB to pull off immediately because of wind. It was about 10 seconds later a 60 mph+ gust of wind hit me directly broadside and I managed to correct...but barely! I stopped as quick as I could behind a big rig that was stopped also just off the edge of the highway. Put on the emergency flashers and then a gust of who knows ???mph took me and the Goldwing to the ground. I landed on my shoulder and the jacket sucked up the impact. I hunkered down for a couple minutes on the downwind side of the wing until the driver in front of me called for me to get in the truck. Storm moved thru in about 30 minutes and the driver helped me lift the Wing back to upright...

Just ordered a new set of pants and jacket from Motoport at WeSTOC...looking forward to the protection of their QuadArmor! This was just a minor usage of the armor...but I can't seem to stop needing it:cus:

dmcleane

Dave Elliott
Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
Just ordered a new set of pants and jacket from Motoport at WeSTOC...looking forward to the protection of their QuadArmor!

I've had my Motoport gear with Quad Armor for 2 years now and never get on the bike without all of it. If I go down, even in a parking lot, I'd feel pretty stupid with it home hanging in the closet!

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Just used my "armor" again last night. Was just 20 miles from my reserved Hotel room in North Platte, NE when Severe Weather popped up on the Radar. My track was on the edge so I tried to sneak thru...was going approximately 30 mph when the truck drivers started warning each other on the CB to pull off immediately because of wind. It was about 10 seconds later a 60 mph+ gust of wind hit me directly broadside and I managed to correct...but barely! I stopped as quick as I could behind a big rig that was stopped also just off the edge of the highway. Put on the emergency flashers and then a gust of who knows ???mph took me and the Goldwing to the ground. I landed on my shoulder and the jacket sucked up the impact. I hunkered down for a couple minutes on the downwind side of the wing until the driver in front of me called for me to get in the truck. Storm moved thru in about 30 minutes and the driver helped me lift the Wing back to upright...

Just ordered a new set of pants and jacket from Motoport at WeSTOC...looking forward to the protection of their QuadArmor! This was just a minor usage of the armor...but I can't seem to stop needing it:cus:
Glad you were stopped Tiny!

omniron

...rider of V'GER
Bike
18 Kawi Ninja H2SXSE
I just ordered a second jacket from Motoport.

My current riding gear is all Motoport -- long jacket, overpants -- and all ultra mesh. It fits me perfectly and very comfortable when riding. I like the quality and feel of their gear. Even in 100+ temps, the ultra mesh is workable. But in summer, I want something less bulky -- regular kevlar mesh jeans (with pads, of course) and a waist length coat.

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Yes,textile is what I choose. Tour master summer jacket, Joe Rocket winter jacket and Olympic Air ride 3 pants, leather summer gloves and Olympic winter gloves. There are to many cagers on phones not to wear it.

I've used a armored mesh jacket for years, plus Kevlar jeans, just bought some First Gear mesh armored pants. Knock on wood, to date I have not needed them, but feel more secure wearing it.

Bike
2005 st 1300
STOC #
when i first started riding my dad gave me some of his old used gear, jacket and pants, but when it got warm i didnt wear it, now that he has giving me mesh gear i have been wearing it more. not as much as i should but im getting to the point of wearing it more.

Top Bottom