Does this count as my 1st tip over. Stupidity for sure....

Bike
2000 Honda ST 1100
I went to a friends to take her for a ride on my 2000 ST. She asked if I could take a picture of her on the bike. (you know where this is going) She climbed onto the bike with a smile and I said "pretend your driving as I was about to take her picture with my cell phone. She turned the handle bars and down she went (my baby and my friend) Thinking quickly I asked if she (my friend) was OK, "yes" then I quickly helped my baby back up and surveyed the damage. The right side mirror had popped loose (as designed), but the mirror cover had broken in two. My friend started to apologize, but I said it was my fault, I should have been holding the bike or put it on the center stand. The street in front of her house was not level and it also sloped to the curb. That combined with my bike on the side stand all led to the tip over. We went for a nice sunny cruise and the next day I glued my mirror cover back together. Lesson learned the hard way as usual.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
that's a good question, does the tip-over follow the rider, or the bike??

Bike
VStrom 650
Admit nothing CamB.
Never say it's your fault, it's a man thing!
When parking up on the sidestand I always leave it in gear and push it against the drive free play before putting the side stand down, it's just about impossible to roll forward then. I know it's a bit like that saying, horse, bolting, door, after, or something like that.
Keep your pecker up, there's plenty of cheap mirror housings out there in eBay land.
Upt'North.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Honda Design Flaw: The ST1100 side stand is too long for anything but level ground or ground that slopes to the left.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
The right side mirror had popped loose (as designed), but the mirror cover had broken in two. ...the next day I glued my mirror cover back together.
BTDT, got the t-shirt. Welcome to the club.

Bike
2004 ST 1300
I have had 2 tips with previous bikes, but none so far with the ST...knock on Tupperware. Excluding the distinctly different events that might be better termed 'dumps', 'lay-downs' or outright wrecks, they most often seem related to circumstances that transcend skill. It's mostly about miscalculation, pitch, and just-not-thinking.

Oh, and gravel...definitely gravel ;)

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
In reality I do not see this as a tip over. It is definitely a lesson, but you did the right thing in this case and blamed it on the woman.:)

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Welcome to the club.

I didn't have a tip over. I was just showing everyone how the center stand mounts on the new wing. Of course, I did it in front of a crowd. I've never seen so many camera phones come out, immediately after it happened.

Ride Safe
John

image.jpg

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Welcome to the club.

I didn't have a tip over. I was just showing everyone how the center stand mounts on the new wing. Of course, I did it in front of a crowd. I've never seen so many camera phones come out, immediately after it happened.

Ride Safe
John

image.jpg
Already? :eek:4:

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm glad your friend wasn't hurt. And, short answer, is yes, of course it's a tipover. It was, however, not YOUR tip over. You can still say, when selling the bike, that you have never dropped it. You cannot say 'it's never been dropped' or, 'it's never been down.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
cdnemsguy said:
but you did the right thing in this case and blamed it on the woman.
:rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

Good question does the tag go to the base or the runner?

If the kickstand folded after proper deployment :22yikes: while you're in the diner is that your tip over?

If you loan your bike to a buddy and he drops it :22yikes: is that 'your' tip over or his?

If you drop your bike but you right it before anybody can see you is that a tip over? :cool: I think not.

Nashcat; said:
I've never seen so many camera phones come out, immediately after it happened.
As long as you're not trending on YouTube...

Last edited:
Top Bottom