Does this make sense?

Bike
2007 ST1300
If you remove the two inner cowls from the front of the fairing, it should move more air in/around the motor and headers. The thought is that there would be less stagnant air under the tank/inside the fairing that can waft up and contribute to the rider getting excess heat coming up off the motor. The extra air flow might rid the area of the superheated air. Any thoughts on a downside to doing this either from an aero perspective or exposing any elements under there to unwanted water? I have wrapped the headers with heat tape, which has improved things, but want to make better still. I'm also thinking of brushing on a liquid ceramic heat coating inside some of the body parts surrounding the motor and pipes.

Steve

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
There will be more air... but Mother Honda prob designed it to direct more to the radiator.
Also the cowls add streight to the fairing to prevent flex ( i know many will argue this )

Read/search some of the threads.... many have removed/swiss cheesed/vented the cowls with sucess.... of course "your milage may vary" so to speak.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Removing the inner cowlings has been mentioned several times on these forums, I guess it works but what worries me is also mentioned have been several occurrences of the dreaded ‘weave’ that owners have attributed to missing fasteners and loose body panels, inducing a ‘weave’ would be my major concern.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Folks have reported removing these panels does reduce the sensation of heat, don't know if anyone has measured it to prove the concept though. My concern is that looking at the design of those internal panels, they are clearly designed to direct as much air through the radiator as possible, without the panels, some of the incoming air will find its way around the radiator reducing engine cooling efficiency. Having said that though, the ST seems to have sufficient cooling capability that no one has reported any overheating that I can recall, even in hot weather, after removing them. Maybe the fan just runs sooner, longer or more frequently???

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
:06biker:Have had mine removed for two seasons. have also sat in super slab "parking lot for about 30 minutes with no traffic movement, temperature (according to local weather guesser) was 100+ deg. F. I got very hot but ST stayed on three bars. One setback noted: when you turn bike off for a few minutes such as refueling, expext false readings from onboard thermometer for about 10 minutes after you start moving. readings stay correct when engine is left running. Ride far ride safe

Bike
'07 ST1300
it seems to me that without the inner panels the rest of the fairing - the large side exterior panels that surround the front tip-over wing and adjoin into the headlight assembly - are significantly less stiff, and while I don't think they would blow off as they are bolted down , I would be worried about them vibrating and flexing a lot.....maybe even affecting the ride, ???

But with drilling a few holes marked heat dissipation is created by allowing air to enter the fairing and passing thru, thus to cool the fairing pockets , interior of the fairing, frame , tank cover, engine mounts ?? and ( I think ) engine parts too, decreasing heat that the rider would feel ( my experience ) but still forcing plenty of air through the radiator to cool the engine interior....

feels cooler and no worries, I like that..

Top Bottom