doh coolant leak.

Onicabbit

Tailess Cabbit!
Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour
STOC #
got coolant leak, good amount after a ride. can't see the level of the coolant at the moment. I will take the tupperware off this weekend and try to determine how bad and where. dang it left the Honda coolant at my dad's house:(:(:(

OP
OP
Onicabbit

Onicabbit

Tailess Cabbit!
Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour
STOC #
Looking like it dripping pretty good under the water pump plate. guess one of the gaskets is busted.

Byron

STOC #
Before you start pulling the covers off to address a possible bad gasket double check the hose clamps at the top of the engine. When they leak they drip down the valley and behind the cover.

Bike
03 st1300
Looking like it dripping pretty good under the water pump plate. guess one of the gaskets is busted.
Trust me that is highly unlikely just went through this whole ordeal of a coolant leak myself.First line of attack should come from the top end as it is a lot less messy than pulling the rad.Also you can run the engine and visibly see where the leaks are coming from.What it amounts to is loose hose clamps which when tightened up should clear up your problem.

OP
OP
Onicabbit

Onicabbit

Tailess Cabbit!
Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour
STOC #
so remove the radaditor from the bracket to get to the thermostat. can it be pulled forward enough to get in there?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
No, you need to go in from the top to get behind the thermostat housing... even then, it's a pain due to the throttle bodies sitting in the way. :eek:4:

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
I was able to reach and tighten all of the top coolant lines hose clamps via the front, after removing the radiator. I used a 1/4 inch ratchet, extension, universal joint, and a 5mm socket (IIRC re the size). I had a very slow leak from one of the top hoses, and I think (hope) it has been corrected. I think a person would probably need to pull the throttle body in order to actually replace the hoses though.

If you have a sizeable volume of coolant leaking, your situation may indicate an actual rupture in a hose. A peek in thru the front might save you some time if it turns out you simply have a loose hose clamp or two.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I agree on checking the hose clamps first. When chasing down my leak I found that one of the t-stat housing clamps was broken (but still felt tight). Replaced the clamp and problem solved. Having the tupperware and radiator off and was also a good excuse to do some maintenance I'd been putting off. Hope your fix is just as easy!

Alan

OP
OP
Onicabbit

Onicabbit

Tailess Cabbit!
Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour
STOC #
ran the engine till the coolant started to drip so far could not see where it is leaking from looking at what i can see from the thermostat area. it is leaking out the square hole currently.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
It will be a loose clamp or bad hose leaking or weeping. I have replaced my hoses and clamps now no leaks.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I was able to reach and tighten all of the top coolant lines hose clamps via the front, after removing the radiator. I used a 1/4 inch ratchet, extension, universal joint, and a 5mm socket (IIRC re the size). I had a very slow leak from one of the top hoses, and I think (hope) it has been corrected. I think a person would probably need to pull the throttle body in order to actually replace the hoses though.

If you have a sizeable volume of coolant leaking, your situation may indicate an actual rupture in a hose. A peek in thru the front might save you some time if it turns out you simply have a loose hose clamp or two.
:plus1: much easier going in from the front. The factory size hose clamp nut is 6mm, and if you have breeze clamps its 5/16. Use a 1/4 inch drive socket set, a swivel socket, and a 10 inch extension, you will be able to reach all the clamps in a criss cross attack.
Let us know what you find.
Oh yeah, don't over tighten them too much or you'll damage the hoses and cause more leaks, just firmly snug.
Igofar

Bike
ST1300A
hello all! i have small problem about my bike (st1300A 2008 - 107 000 km). =))))
Antifreeze go away from my bike when i quickly stop. but if i long meal at one speed - no problem.
i attach some photo in this post.

i replace: bolts, gasket(o-ring) - twice(!!!), antifreeze (motul inugel optimal, L/M KFS2001, ...) - no result.
in manual write about tighten 12 hm - and no problem, but i tighten 12 , 16 , 20 - no result!
Сover is smooth without corrosion.

any ideas?

in one photo i marked "???" hole, and a don't know for what him??? i think from him leak antifreeze too...

THANKS ALL!!!

Attachments

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
hello all! i have small problem about my bike (st1300A 2008 - 107 000 km). =))))
Antifreeze go away from my bike when i quickly stop. but if i long meal at one speed - no problem.
i attach some photo in this post.

i replace: bolts, gasket(o-ring) - twice(!!!), antifreeze (motul inugel optimal, L/M KFS2001, ...) - no result.
in manual write about tighten 12 hm - and no problem, but i tighten 12 , 16 , 20 - no result!
Сover is smooth without corrosion.

any ideas?

in one photo i marked "???" hole, and a don't know for what him??? i think from him leak antifreeze too...

THANKS ALL!!!
It looks like you have a leak up above the water pump in the "V" area. You will have to check hoses and clamps.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Also check the casting marks on the T-stat housing. On mine I had a leak, all clamps were tight, and it kept leaking. I removed the hoses and found the casting marks were stuck out a LOT and the coolant was following the casting ribs and out under the hoses. I removed the t-stat housing, smoothed the flanges the hoses go over, and no more leak. I also replaced the hoses while in there because they are 7 years old. 5000+ miles later and no more leaks.

Bike
2006 ST1300
My leak was coming from exactly where shown in the 3rd photo from the left in your above post, and it was from the bottom of a hose at the t-stat housing. It was VERY difficult to see and pinpoint. That isn't saying it COULDN'T be the pump, but 1300 pump failure is very, very rare; but leaking hoses is very, very common. I was almost at the point of thinking it must be my pump until I finally found the hose that was leaking. Even then it wasn't until I got the hose & t-stat housing off and saw the signs of leakage on the bottom of the housing & buildup on the hose flange.

Bike
ST1300A
Where is "t-stat housing"? can you show on a photo where to look him? and how antifreeze leak under cover if under cover no hoses?
can you say me what is hole in my one marked photo?

thanks!

OP
OP
Onicabbit

Onicabbit

Tailess Cabbit!
Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour
STOC #
Pic 3 centered above the plate. It will drip down on top of engine and dumps out the square hole and out the V as well. There is space back there you can slide a piece of paper between the plate and the engine block.

OP
OP
Onicabbit

Onicabbit

Tailess Cabbit!
Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour
STOC #
The ??? Should lead to the top on the engine block below the thermostat housing.

Top Bottom