doh coolant leak.

Bike
ST1300A
leak antifreeze from here ? have you any photo where i can see place under thermostat and can you mark in photo where this hole is connected with upper construction?

thanks!

Attachments

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
There are several coolant hoses located on the top part of the engine (the valley, or 'vee'). You can access the hoses either from the top (after removing gas tank, air box, and throttle body), or you can access from the front (after removing radiator).

Check the top coolant hoses carefully, as it is common to find leaks where the hoses are clamped.

I modified one of your photos, and modified one of mine. My photo is viewed from the top; yours is viewed from the front. The unfilled arrows in my photo point to the clamps on the coolant hoses (ignore the filled arrow). Look where the arrows are pointing and I think you will find your leak.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372346648.016348.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372346668.891041.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Bike
2006 ST1300
The way Honda has designed the drain for the valley, or Vee, at the top of the engine the coolant travels in a strange path when it leaks. If you look in from the top of the engine after removing the airbox, like Mark's photo above, and look as far down in the Vee as you can, under the thermostat housing, you can see a square recess at the very bottom. Dripping coolant goes to that recess then goes through a drain hole and comes out where your yellow arrow is. If coolant is coming out from where that yellow arrow is, its almost guaranteed to be leaking from one of the hose connections on the thermostat housing.

Bike
ST1300A
good post! i understand how hole under cover is connected to t-stat. thanks all! next holiday i want find my problem in my moto...

thanks all!

OP
OP
Onicabbit

Onicabbit

Tailess Cabbit!
Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour
STOC #
update! Got the bike in they finally had time to take it apart. (down to one mechanic at the moment).
so the coolant is leading out a cracked/broken O-ring that leads to the body of the engine on the right hand side, also replacing some of the hoses as they are showing signs that they need to be replaced. asked them to swap out the thermostat as well.

Top Bottom