Doing a timing belt and more. Add to my list?

Jim Van,
Thanks for your help.
I shall take your and Johns advice but I think first I shall have to put the timing belt and the idler pulley etc. back on because I can’t undo the bolt securing the pulley and holder with those items off the engine.
I think it best to temporarily install the belt to undo the bolt.
Thanks,
Graham

Jim Van,
Silly me!
No need to re-install anything because the cam pulley was already loose due to me taking off the guide plate.
Thanks again,
Graham

John, Jim Van and all others,
It worked a treat!
Like you said, the water pump came off quite easily after removing that pulley.
There is no discernible wear in the impeller but it was leaking from the weep hole and so I’ll get my hand in my pocket to the tune of $300 and that should double the value of my bike!
I know that parts are available that would enable me to repair the pump much cheaper but as I am no longer in the engineering trade, I no longer have access to the equipment needed to fix it.
Ah well——such is life!
Once again, I would like to thank everyone who helped me fix my beloved ST1100.

Regards,
Graham Watson

Graham:
I had problems getting the water pump out until I took John's recommendation and removed the pulley & holder and then the pump literally just about fell out. That will do it for you, I bet.
Jim Van,
Problems with your water pump?
Did you buy a complete new one or did you repair the existing pump?
It was my intention to buy a new pump in the region of $300+ but a friend feels that between us, it should be possible to rebuild the pump ——-providing the individual parts are available.
Any ideas or suggestions?———-my ST1100 is a 2000 model.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
BTW, When I rebuilt my water pump, I upgraded to the latest design one-piece seal. Might as well use the latest stuff, why not ?

Here is my write-up : https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/my-first-rebuilt-water-pump.150256/

Be very, very, careful when pressing out the old bearing. Apply some heat and don't use too much force so you don't crack the water pump casting. That could bum you out, big time. Stop if you sense the bearing isn't starting to move and casting is flexing too much.

You don't really need to install the cast impeller. Your old impeller should work fine if it's in good shape.

Last edited:
BTW, When I rebuilt my water pump, I upgraded to the latest design one-piece seal. Might as well use the latest stuff, why not ?

Here is my write-up : https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/my-first-rebuilt-water-pump.150256/

Be very, very, careful when pressing out the old bearing. Apply some heat and don't use too much force so you don't crack the water pump casting. That could bum you out, big time. Stop if you sense the bearing isn't starting to move and casting is flexing too much.

You don't really need to install the cast impeller. Your old impeller should work fine if it's in good shape.
Jim Van,
Sorry about the delay in replying.
That REALLY was interesting! Thanks.
For more than 50 yrs. I was fortunate to have the use of all types of machine tools but now I don’t and I regret a little telling my last boss what to do with his job!
I have purchased a pump repair kit from HappyBikes (in Scotland) and had it sent to my wife in England and she is coming over on Dec.3rd so I can then tackle the job.
If I encounter any issues, maybe you will allow me to contact you for a bit of guidance.
Until then, thanks for your help.

Regards,
Graham Watson

Top Bottom