Donald Masters - R.I.P.

Anybody...
How was the memorial service for Donald?:(

Had one minutes silence at 9.30pm here(UK) as I think that was 2.30pm Denver time.

Bill

My wife, girls and I returned from Denver yesterday. The memorial was very inspiring and was a testament to Donald and the lives he had touched. There were people there from as far away as California, St. Louis, Chicago and North Carolina. It was clear from the people who spoke that Donald had influenced the lives of many, many people. I'll post more, hopefully tonight.

We were fortunate also to spend time with Rod. He and his wife came over to Caroline's house after the service, and then we hooked up again Sunday and he came to dinner with us at Olive Garden Sunday night. We are grateful for the opportunity to get to know Rod and look forward to seeing him again.

Smithee..
Thanks for that.

Isn't it amazing how one person can influence and affect so many people so far apart from each other. Truly a great person indeed,although not having met him, I think it's probably something he would not have admitted to.

Hope they can get a memorial sign erected at some time.

Bill

Hi to all,

If, on Sept 15th, you had told me all that I have learned and experienced would "come to pass" and that 3 Tuesdays later (today) I'd be writing of it all here now, I'd not have believed you. First and foremost, Donald's family were all overflowing with love and gratitude at the response of the motorcycling community. This larger community coalesced here at the ST owner's site and a disparate group showed the generosity of the larger whole. The family was blown away by it all. I was the recipient of their gratitude and love simply because I was there. It is my honor and my privilege to have soaked up all that love and all their heartfelt "thanks" to bring them back here to disperse to this community.

A bit of history here, Donald's older sister is Lee; she and her daughter were there, and though far away from the search, they were overwhelmed by us. Donald's little sister Lynne worshipped her big brother as my little sis Martha worships me; we connected on that level and she overwhelmed me with her beautiful presence. Lynne (greymast) is married to David Grossman (Smithee), and they have 2 bright and beautiful daughters Chelsea and Erica. If you haven't read what Lynne has posted about Donald, I'd urge you to do so. Donald was married to Nan first and they had Noah, now in his early 30's and working in London for a year or so. Noah was in MT and ID for the search and they were both part of the creation of Donald's service. Donald subsequently married Caroline (caroline) (read her posts if you can) whose son Justin, now a film-maker in Denver, was in MT and ID for the search. Caroline's daughter, Ashley, lives in Colorado and is the new mom of the beautiful Emily {I'm sorry , her name is Ella, not Emily} (The grand-daughter Donald was returning to see for the first time).The three of them were part of the creation of the service, as well. I had not realized the effect all who responded had on this part of the family; Ella was born in the last half of August. Ashley and her husband John (?)( I'm sorry, I'm not certain of his name; he's one of those quiet, behind the scenes guys who simply step in to read his wife's words at the service when she is too grief stricken to speak them.) couldn't search because of their new baby. You have no idea what a gift it was to them to know that we had taken their place in the search. Donald's gratitude to us for relieving a tiny bit of the helplessness that they were feeling would fill paragraphs of beautiful words.

The service, itself, was focussed on the recovery community. Donald Masters brought so very much of what he discovered through his own struggles to them. His reach was great, and his gifts to that community many. I strongly urge any of us who struggle with demons that wake us in the night with thoughts of things we wish we had done differently, to learn more of this man and his work.

My wife, Loanne, and I spent Saturday going to the service, and she flew on to the east coast to help out her dad Sunday AM. Sunday and Monday I spent with Donald's family. They welcomed me into their family, and by extension all of us. I've mentioned in a previous post the regret I've carried for being unable to "be there" for my Viet Nam Vet brother-in-law Jerry. Being a part of the search, service, and following family time has been a huge gift to me from Donald Masters. I feel that to some small degree I've been able to make up for some fraction of the unkindness that greeted returning men and women who had served their country and returned from "Nam." I got to be a representative of Donald's, Jerry's, and my generation in wrapping our loving arms around the younger folks to reassure them that in the end, we are all one. I was given a gift of a book of Donald's, The Spirituality of Imperfection. A guy who buys that title is a guy from whom I can learn more. The family gave back to us; they fed us (It was tough, but I tried to eat for us all!) they gave me the most comfortable bed (Thank you Justin!!) and over and over they told me how much my (our) outpouring meant to them. Folks of the family of motorcyclists, we have been well appreciated.

I must mention one thing here. Loanne could speak more clearly of this, but she can't right now, so I'll try. From my own experience and from talking to Raven, and from this morning reading Larry's reference to "momma", I know that those of us who were fortunate enough to be a part of all that transpired after Donald's accident all had someone back home supporting what we were doing. I simply would not have been able to go to ID and MT to look for a missing man I'd not met if I had not had Loanne here making it possible. That's true for Raven; we talked briefly about it. I suspect that it's true, too, for Larry and most all of us. So, to all those support folks, who like Ashley's wonderful husband, just step up to the plate and make it possible or just do it: "Thank you so very much... You gave a gift of unimaginable magnitude to the Masters family."

Donald, you have touched so very many lives; I stand in awe of two characteristics of yours we so often see as mutually exclusive. In your, too brief, life you have given me an example of the two main words in the title of the book you bought, and that I now hold. You, I and untold numbers of others, perhaps all humankind, encompass these two things. We are all part of "all that is," thus all are one. We all incarnate "imperfection," and thus all are one. I thank you and salute you, sir. May you rest in peace.

In love and gratitude,

Roderick House

P.S.
I graduated from Carrollton High School; that's the Carrollton Joe Norris is from. I'm looking forward to meeting Joe. It was Joe who first welcomed me to this site, and I suspect that without Joe, none of this would have happened. People at the service kept referring to "Joe" and it took me a few minutes to realize all he has done. Joe, the family really appreciated all you did; me too!

Last edited:
wonderfully stated rod...

thank you

at my meeting for families and friends of recovering addicts/alcoholics i spoke of donald and his work. we had a moment of silence to honor him and all those who struggle with the disease of addiction, both from the addicts perspective and from the families and friends side.

here's to you donald and all those on their recovery journey.

rob

Rod, thank you. I was moved to tears by your words, this entire thread, and by the Honor I feel to be a part of this community of caring people.

Rest in peace, Donald....ride free......
womantriker

Thanks Rod, great words and glad you could be there...

You know they say you get back what you put out... Donald sure put a lot out there to help people... That came back to him in the people he inspired in the search... In his last moments, he still ended up helping people... pretty amazing stuff... Thanks Donald.

Rod, you amaze me. That was a moving post. I know for a fact you and Donald would have clicked and become good friends if you'd had a chance to meet him.

We are so fortunate to have met and spent time with you. I'm looking forward to getting together again. Maybe that 4 Corners ride I mentioned I'd like to do sometime.

Rod, you amaze me. That was a moving post. I know for a fact you and Donald would have clicked and become good friends if you'd had a chance to meet him.

We are so fortunate to have met and spent time with you. I'm looking forward to getting together again. Maybe that 4 Corners ride I mentioned I'd like to do sometime.

David,
One way or another I'll be riding ID 93 on 31 August of next year.

Rod

:ylw11:

WeSToc next year is in Moscow, Idaho from August 30 to Sept 3.

From Moscow to the accident site is 330 miles through Orofino and the Lolo Pass (the same route Donald was riding) and we could ride there on August 31st. If we continued on to Salmon that night, it would be about 350 miles. The next day, we could re-trace our ride back to Moscow or we could continue on 3 other scenic byways through Challis, Stanley and Lowman and return to Moscow via the southern route (about 460 miles).

I've never attended a WeSToc before, but if we could tie in a commemorative ride for Donald (and the rest of our fallen biker friends), I think it would make it a special event. I've ridden to West Virginia to participate in FriendSToc for two riders from the My-Mc site and I enjoyed the bonds that I built through that event.

I don't want to interfere with the WeSToc event organizers, but I thought it was worth putting this idea out there for consideration. I'll also post this on the WeSToc discussion in case they aren't monitoring this thread.

WeSToc next year is in Moscow, Idaho from August 30 to Sept 3.

From Moscow to the accident site is 330 miles through Orofino and the Lolo Pass (the same route Donald was riding) and we could ride there on August 31st. If we continued on to Salmon that night, it would be about 350 miles. The next day, we could re-trace our ride back to Moscow or we could continue on 3 other scenic byways through Challis, Stanley and Lowman and return to Moscow via the southern route (about 460 miles).

I've never attended a WeSToc before, but if we could tie in a commemorative ride for Donald (and the rest of our fallen biker friends), I think it would make it a special event. I've ridden to West Virginia to participate in FriendSToc for two riders from the My-Mc site and I enjoyed the bonds that I built through that event.

I don't want to interfere with the WeSToc event organizers, but I thought it was worth putting this idea out there for consideration. I'll also post this on the WeSToc discussion in case they aren't monitoring this thread.

See my post here: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=836860&postcount=9

My prayers are extended to the family of Donald. I did not know him but want to send out my heartfelt condolences to the family of a fellow rider and to his friends here who knew and loved him. I am late in reading that he was found and my heart dropped when I saw that this memorial thread existed. God Bless.

Funeral Services with full military honors for Donald Masters will be held at Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, VA, on December 2, 2009, at 11:00 am. We are setting up a reception, likely to be held at Ft. Meyer after the service.

I will post here again shortly with more details. We are trying to tie down a count for the reception two weeks prior.

On behalf of the family, we hope that some who were involved in or followed the search for Donald can attend.

Smitthe could you start a new thread with the Arlington particulars , there are at least a few of us planing to come and a seperate thread will make it much easier for folks to see the Memorial plans and maybe attend.

Smitthe could you start a new thread with the Arlington particulars , there are at least a few of us planing to come and a seperate thread will make it much easier for folks to see the Memorial plans and maybe attend.

I'll do that but likely it won't be until tomorrow. Following the service, we have planned a reception at the Ft. Meyer Officers Club, nearby.

Thanks for the suggestion of a new thread.

Joe and all

My daughters and I took a trip this past ten days to Colorado, Wyoming and Idaho. On the way back, on Saturday, we stopped at the curve on US-93 where Donald met his end. It is a very beautiful place, with the river in the background and a hillside.

Looking north:

smugshot1185764-M.jpg

Looking south:

smugshot7473009-M.jpg
Interestingly, while we were there, my daughter looked up to the opposite hillside, across the river, and spotted a large herd of elk. You'll recall it was some folks who stopped to watch for elk who were responsible for finding Donald.

We went on over Chief Joseph Pass and spent the night at Sula, where my wife, friend Gary David, Donald's friend, Bill Meyers, and I stayed three years ago in September during the search.

Some of you may know that my wife, Lynne, passed away in December from cancer. She had hoped to place a memorial at the site, and Gary, my daughters and I plan to follow through on that. I just wish it had been done by now.

Ride safe.

Thank you for the update my friend. I've been spending some time thinking about folks that are no longer with us and interestingly enough thought about Don... I'm sorry for the recent loss of your wife as well...:(

Back
Top Bottom