Double Darkside on my ST-1300

Rineyville, KY (summer) Hernando Beach, FL (winter
I recently mounted a Bridgestone Battlax BT45 (130/70-18) on the front of my ST. The OEM tire lasted just under 5,000 miles, probably due to the CT on the back. I had the tire mounted on the wheel in the reverse direction. Now that I've ridden the BT45 for several hundred miles, I can say that I'm very impressed with it. It handles much better than the OEM front tire with the rear car tire (Hankook). No problems in the rain either. I am running the same tire on the front my 1500 Wing and my 1800 Wing. ($92 delivered plus $27 mounting and balanced).

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Seeing the tire mounted both ways, I have to think that running it backwards ( first pic) would get rid of water while running per the arrow (Mike's pic) would trap water at the end of the sipe.
I'm not trying to start a debate, but is that how others see it too? of is my thinking flawed?

Bike
05 ST1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I agree the reverse mounting seems like it would shed water better. I'd be interested to know if the car tire on the rear effects your gas mileage drastically. At our Pa RTE this month was the first time I saw the car tire mounted and used on the ST.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
I don't really think it's going to make much difference. Water is going to be channeled out of the sipes whichever way you mount it. I've taken the liberty of posting some pictures of the various front tires that I've mounted to my bike so you can compare. Note: all of these were mounted in the intended direction...

Michelin PR2
PR2 Front.jpg

Avon Storm I
AvonStorm I Front.jpg

Bridgestone BT-020F
BT-020 front.jpg

Metzler Z6
Z6 front.jpg

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
And I guess I knew that too Scott, having run most of those fronts. It just LOOKS wrong. What I am not allowing myself to see I guess, is that the water can reverst it's direction once it get to the dead end. I'm not a tire expert, I don't even use a tire approved for MC use.
On another note, to stir the pot a little :D the BT 45 does say on the sidewall, "rear use only" :potstir1:

Bike
ST1300
At the Charlotte motorcycle show last month I talked with a Dunlop rep about running the Hankook. Of course, he strongly advised me that the C/T is not made to run on the sidewall, wouldn't give proper performance, etc. etc. ... but when I explained that I'd run two Dunlop RoadSmarts for 15-17,000 miles he understood that I'm looking for a TOURING profile, not a SPORT profile... and then agreed I'd likely not see a problem if I was careful not to push the Hankook as I would a RoadSmart.

I then asked some pointed questions about running the Dunlop Elite 3 for a double dark combination. Again, got the expected answer that it was not approved for a front tire installation... and also got the wink and a nod that I'd probably not have a problem while staying in the 'Touring' mode.

I believe most of us, well - close to most of us, are really looking for longevity that a Sport tire will never give us. The Dunlop rep told me the RoadSmart is expected to run only 8,000 miles in what they consider normal use. Some of you speed/performance demons would never see that tread life, but for the rest of us we just want to makes miles, not blaze a path for the slower riders.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
You see those lines painted on the BT45 in Yaesu's picture? Those lines are terribly important with respect to mounting. Too bad he's not going to learn what they mean for many, many miles. :crackup

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Double Darkside here also. I just mounted a rear tire on the front. This is what I was told that the local Goldwingers like. I thought I would give it a try. Its a Michelin Activ. rear tire. Size is 130-70-18.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/6158/ITEM/Michelin-Pilot-Activ-Rear-Tire.aspx?SiteID=SLI|Michelin Active Rear Tire&WT.MC_ID=10010

He gave me a great deal and mounted the tire as I waited.. It fits but it's close. The fender extender is real close but will work fine. Will report some of my findings after Moonshine.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'll be anxiously awaiting reports of the Michelin. I just ordered a Bridgestone BT45 to go double dark, but I was curious about the Michelin as well. I went with the BFG because I read good things from someone running one, but hadn't heard anything about the Michelin yet.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
You see those lines painted on the BT45 in Yaesu's picture? Those lines are terribly important with respect to mounting. Too bad he's not going to learn what they mean for many, many miles.
OK, I'll bite. What is the significance of the painted lines?

What is the reasoning behind mounting it in reverse rotation?

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
OK, I'll bite. What is the significance of the painted lines?

What is the reasoning behind mounting it in reverse rotation?
No significance to the consumer, I was only teasing Yaesu.

Mounting the tire in reverse direction is believed by some to facilitate greater traction under braking conditions.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Anyone know what the lines on new tires is about?

Better traction while braking? I must not get around enough. I've never heard of a front tire locking up and skidding. Slipping out while leaned over in a turn and braking but not the wheel locked up and skidding. I have locked up the rear wheel. Having said all that, maybe it's because I have bikes with ABS and/or linked brakes.

Des

Bike
'00 ST1100-P
No significance to the consumer, I was only teasing Yaesu.

Mounting the tire in reverse direction is believed by some to facilitate greater traction under braking conditions.
I'm no tyre expert (although I can spell 'tyre' correctly! :potstir1: Ha ha), but from what I have read the direction arrows can be to do with the construction of a tyre. Rear tyres can be designed to work with acceleration forces, since that's what they do the most of. Front tyres do the opposite job, mainly braking forces which are in the opposite direction.

Personally, if I were mounting a rear on the front, I would mount it 'backwards' so the tyre is 'correctly' positioned for the braking forces.

Whether any of this is actually correct, I don't know, but it seems reasonable to me.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'm 100% with Des on this, and for the same reasons. My BT45 is sitting in my kitchen ready to mount, possibly tomorrow, and will be going on backwards.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Do you guys think you'll put on so much braking pressure that the tire belts start de-laminating?

It won't skid first?

A "real" front tire arrow is counter direction of the belt lamination?

I guess I don't understand much on this subject.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'm sure a tire would never be damaged by mounting it in the opposite direction, many people have done it and I'm sure we would know if there were horror stories about tires coming apart. But some tire belts are designed to be pulled in one direction, and the tread pattern is designed to give superior grip in one direction, including in rain. So while no damage would be done, there may be a difference in lifespan of the tire, or wet weather braking traction. I'm sure its not enough that I would ever lose sleep over it if my tire was mounted the opposite from what I intend to do, but I'm choosing the direction for the reasons I just mentioned.

Edit: To be clear, that is mounting a "rear tire" the opposite of the suggested direction for front use. When a tire is on the rear of a bike, it has a lot of pull during acceleration, but brake bias and traction means a rear tire provides very little braking action. A front tire gets a lot of pull during braking, since the front brakes can do over 90% of the braking, but provide zero acceleration forces, resulting in the exact opposite forces of a rear tire.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'm 100% with Des on this, and for the same reasons.
Me also. There is one spot on the tire where the belts are overlapped and spliced/joined. The arrow coincides with pulling this joint together not apart. You have to remember, at least on sport bikes, The rear is capable of lifting the bike (wheelie) as well as the front lifting the bike. (stoppie). That is a LOT of force. I'm not saying the tire will come apart if mounted in reverse but the arrow is there for more than wet traction.

My only problen with this are tires that don't have arrows and are not specified front or rear use. Usually my cheap dual sport tires for the KLX.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Enuff tars have been mounted backwards accidently that I think we would know about delaminations. Doing it on purpose for the reasons stated above does make sense tho.

My only prob (and I have run a G-45 on the front of STick) with mounting backwards is placing the rain sipes backwards. That being said, doing so never caused a problem when I ran one.

I'm considering going to double dark on lipSTick (assuming I can make her reliable again) but the new 130/70/18 Bridgestone on there now (Gold Wing tar) has only ~3000 miles so it'll be on there a while. Fresh Hankook CT is setting in the garage awaiting my tende ministrations. :D

Top Bottom