Double intake cam

Was just curious if this is possible on the 1300 engine. If so has anybody done it?
I've done it on other bikes and cars in the distant past with good results, but not all DOHC engines are able to

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Do you mean replace the exhaust cam with a second intake cam? If so it’s hard to believe the different timing and lift specifications would result in an improvement in performance or efficiency.

OP
OP
I was surprised that it would ever work myself. You'd think the cam lobe timing would be way off from intake to exhaust, and probably is on many engines. However there are many that use the exact same timing on both. Only difference is usually the intake cam has a more aggressive lift and duration. So placing an intake cam in the exhaust cam side results in a power boost.
I am very curious if it is possible on the st1300 engine

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I have not heard of doing this cam swap but have heard of changing the cam timing either by slotting the cam gear holes or advancing or retarding the timing by one tooth on the sprockets. I advance the exhaust cam by one tooth on my KLR650 Kawasaki and this boosted the mid range by about 1/2hp and the engine ran smoother. Sometimes cam timing is set at the factory for emissions at the sacrifice of performance.

Bike
R1200rt
Was just curious if this is possible on the 1300 engine. If so has anybody done it?
I've done it on other bikes and cars in the distant past with good results, but not all DOHC engines are able to
What other vehicles did you add another intake cam to, I'd really like to know. A little detail too.

Bike
R1200rt
I was surprised that it would ever work myself. You'd think the cam lobe timing would be way off from intake to exhaust, and probably is on many engines. However there are many that use the exact same timing on both. Only difference is usually the intake cam has a more aggressive lift and duration. So placing an intake cam in the exhaust cam side results in a power boost.
I am very curious if it is possible on the st1300 engine
guys tried it on hyabusas' ,top end was better but low end torque was depleted. They also needed a degree wheel to set that cam timing and there are 5 degrees + or minus to fine tune it. if you look at specs on different performance cams (not full race cams) lift on exhaust is always smaller. honda vcx 1300 uses 2 intake and 1 exhaust valve for more low end power. It might make more top end power if you want to race all day long. not worth the trouble.

OP
OP
What other vehicles did you add another intake cam to, I'd really like to know. A little detail too.
I did this in a sv650 some years back. It was a significant boost in HP, 4-5hp from a stock 62ish hp. I couldn't comment on how it effected the rpm range ect as I did a number of other changes including hyabusa pistons for a little more compression, a 4* advance (or was it retard?) in timing key, and of course carb modifications. Overall it was a big improvement.
I've also did this in a mazda car some years back but don't recall the model

Top Bottom