Double-Tipover! In The Wilds Of Manitoba

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
[originally poSTed to the STOC LiSTserv... an oldie but goldie(?)]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have enjoyed reading the "bloopers" so will come clean and add one of mine.

Excerpts from Chapter 2, "35 miles of BAD road" or, "Can a 700lb touring bike 'do the dirt'?" -- from my "Adventures in the Great White North (GWN)."

[Highly edited and embellished for the ST1100 Mailing LiST -- but a true story!]:

Having somehow survived 35 miles of the worst muddy road I could have ever imagined, WITHOUT going down [that is another story!], I finally arrived at the Boy Scout Canoe Base on the other side of Bissett, Manitoba, at 5:45PM, the 19th of May. The plan was for the others to also arrive around supper time and we would open the base for the season. After two hours of waiting, my stomach was chewing on my backbone and they hadn't arrived yet.

[As it happened, they didn't get there until 1:30AM and I had to jury-rig a tent out of the bike cover to sleep in, AND to protect myself from the infamous black flies of the Canadian Shield! I didn't have the base keys. But I digress...]

It was too far to walk to town and too slippery to risk riding on that road again, but I could see a restaurant sign next to a fairly dry road leading away from the main(?) road just across from the base. Soooo, I cranked up The Grey GhOOST again. She was still covered and packed with slowly drying mud, as was I; and after all I had put her through a few hours ago, I wouldn't have been surprised if she had just said NO. But she fired up without complaint, and we crossed the main(?) road slime to the little road, looking for some sustenance for me.

I missed a turn almost immediately and found myself on a quickly deteriorating-to-double-track, "north woods trail" with no place to turn around! As I am leg length challenged, I did the only thing I could before the situation got even worse -- stopped to turn the bike around on foot in the narrow two-track with muddy ditches on either side. I got the heavily laden, still running GhOOST backed up and 90? to the two ruts when it happened.

Instead of putting her in gear and walking her around the rest of the way, I slung my leg over her and immediately found only air on the other side. Over we went, despite my valiant attempt to keep us upright, in an ignominious heap to the right! I rolled away in my best parachute landing fall (PLF) mode. And the GhOOST gave up the ghost -- the tip-over switch worked! Immediately looking around for observers (don't we always..?), all I heard was the bark of a rather large sounding dog, seemingly not far off. "They let them run loose up here don't they, particularly the northwoods recluses that probably live down this little track!" quickly crossed my mind.... I often talk to myself in this manner during times of stress you see.

Examining the GhOOST revealed only a small crack in the popped off right mirror cover and a folded mirror -- the tip-over wing had landed in a rut. Whew, it could have been worse. I wondered if I received an insurance discount for these wonderful wings...? [Nope]

"OK," I told myself, "quit shaking and let's get this little mishap behind us and get some food!" Having studied the Official Gold Wing School of Single-Handedly Uprighting Large Touring Bikes Manual some time ago, I knew just what to do. After extending the side stand, I backed up to the right side and grabbed the right handlebar grip with my left hand, while squeezing the brake lever to keep the front tire from rolling once (if) I got her up. I then turned the bar in towards the bike. With my right hand I grabbed the pillion handle, and squatting down to use my legs instead of my back, I slowly stood up while shuffling backwards, the poor GhOOST inched off the ground and away from her undignified position of "ignominious recumbence" [swiped from Steve Lambert]. It was hard but she was upright again! I was sure my loud grunts helped a lot, but then the dog's barks turned to growls; and sounded closer...

Huffing from the effort, and the cumulative effects of the days' long ride which included the Torture of The Great White North -- the now infamous Bissett Road -- I noticed that I was standing BELOW the bike's level on sloping ground, and that the GhOOST, while fully upright, wouldn't go beyond that! She was precariously balanced and still required that I hold her so that she didn't fall back on me. She had to go further before she could be released to assume the now urgently desired state of "restfully parked!" My now slightly oxygen-deprived brain finally deduced that the side stand was sitting on a hump of ground, preventing the bike from going any further.

No problem I thought, rationally considering the situation -- just lean her back a little, roll her forward some, and find a new spot of ground a little lower for the side stand. As I'd left the GhOOST in neutral, this shouldn't be a problem, my line of thought continued. Besides, I couldn't reach the left bar from this slope and still hold her up anyway! With considerable effort I took the bike's weight again, inched forward and slowly let her lean past vertical towards the left in hope of finding a better purchase. At least the ground was hard enough here to keep the side stand from sinking in. She held, oh glory be! The side stand took the full weight and The Grey GhOOST had her dignity back!

I looked around again to see if anyone had noticed this singular faux pas by an experienced STeed rider and distinguished holder of STOC # 1058, but was relieved to confirm there were no witnesses! We could keep this minor lapse of motorcycling prowess to ourselves. I let go of the right grip and walked around the rear of the bike, eager to "get out of Dodge." As I passed her rear, gently touching her haunches piled high with top box and pillion pack, admiring her fine lines as I always do, the GhOOST almost imperceptibly eased forward, the side stand gradually folding up as she went, and I watched in a slow motion trance as she came gently to rest on her left side!

As I stood there in bewildered shock, it slowly dawned on me what had happened. While moving her forward, the side stand had been bumped slightly back to the centering cusp of locking down or snapping up and remained there, abetted by the mud caked upon and impregnated in it. Initially the GhOOST had held her position upon being released by her exhausted loyal companion to once again stand proudly. And then the forces of gravity -- acting in concert with an ever so slight slope, a transmission in neutral, and perhaps my unwitting gentle touch -- conspired to drop her on her other side! DOWN TWICE in one day, and BACK-TO-BACK to boot; how would she ever forgive me....? How could I forgive myself? Oh what abuse I had heaped upon her today. And why am I sweating in my Stich, it's 45°F....?!

---- end of Part 1 ----

John OoSTerhuis STOC 1058
STGhOOST@aol.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
John OoSTerhuis

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Re: Double-Tipover! In The Wilds Of Manitoba - Part 1

[ Part 2, the conclusion]

A quick look around again revealed no onlookers. And no new damage either, thank goodness. Trying to remember what the good book said about LEFT side tip-overs, I drew a blank. The overwhelming urge at this point was to just jerk her up and GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE -- ENOUGH! But I was still breathing hard from the previous effort and my muscles were starting to remind me of that adrenaline assisted lift. I also thought I felt a twinge in my back and had vivid memories of when I threw it out. Frantically going over possibilities in my mind, it occurred to me that I didn't want the GhOOST rolling around while I again try to right her. Seizing upon this kernel of enlightenment, I quickly tried to put her in gear while on the ground but couldn't effect this remedy. This was getting ridiculous!

At this point I was overwhelmed by one of those rare out-of-body experiences and my mind's eye hovered over the scene. The humor of the situation then struck me like a blow. I collapsed in a heap and laughed so hard I cried. I wondered who would ever believe me, if I would ever tell anyone.

[I can hear your mutterings and am grateful for your knowing nods -- right? You are all thoughtfully nodding, right? I thought so. Thank you!]

After a thoroughly wonderful release of endorphins I felt a whole lot better, even though it was accompanied by strong feelings of physical weariness. Phantom Dog even shut up. Without thinking about it too much I just walked up to the left side of the GhOOST, turned around, squatted again, grabbed something and walked her upright again. Holding her back from rolling forward, and being VERY careful not to lean her beyond vertical, I somehow managed to get her in gear. I must have done this by supporting the bike with only one leg at some point, but don't remember. What I'd have given for a brake of some kind on the left side at that moment!

I do remember my legs starting to shake as I rolled my upper body around on the saddle to face the bike, while still managing to hold her up. I was sure the onset of this condition had something to do with all the ergs of energy expended during the entire day's efforts. My leg muscles had long ago exhausted their meager glycogen stores on the ride to Bissett -- I was hungry for a reason remember? I had done my best dirt bike rider imitation on a 700lb sport touring motorcycle for an hour and a half on that horrible, "slicker than greased owl snot," road; this after 550 miles of riding! Did I already mention I had a difficult ride earlier in the day?

I took a long break after I got the side stand down and the GhOOST was resting solidly. I fondly looked at her from a prostrate position a slight distance away, noting her sleek lines, just standing there, calmly awaiting the continuation for our quest for FOOD! I knew then she'd forgive me in time. After my breathing slowed down -- not too long if I remember correctly, but who's keeping track anyway during "surreal time" -- I gingerly lifted my leg between the tank and pillion packs, and slipped onto the saddle. To my HORROR I realized that my right foot wouldn't reach the ground solidly enough to safely lean her right, and thus release the slightly buried side stand. Now what!!??! While not normally a swearing man, a couple of choice epitaphs escaped my lips.

Now my dander was up. I wasn't going to let this situation beat me, and I sure as hell wasn't going leave my beloved GhOOST like that to go for help; nor would I drop her again today! I carefully extricated myself from between the packs, grabbed both grips (right brake ON!), furiously kicked the dirt trapping the side stand, let her roll forward and knocked the stand up. I'd decided to crank her up and walk beside her as she leaned against me, and use her engine to get us to level ground where she could let alight again. Holding her against my hip with my right hand still grasping the brake, I turned the key (just when did I turn that off?), hit the starter and... NOTHING!

As the last few bits of my brain's dwindling active grey matter cogitated on this, I tried the key and switch again, this time with the shifter in neutral and the clutch handle squeezed. Eureka, the GhOOST sprang to life again!!! Slipping the clutch while still bearing the brunt of her weight, she quickly pulled us to level ground only 10 feet away as I struggled and stumbled beside her on ever more shaky legs; and I kicked the side stand down again. Whew!!

We both then took a looong break -- she back to life and purring contentedly in her coat of mud like nothing had happened, wreathed once again in gentle wisps of steam rising from her radiator and exhaust pipes still packed with the damp earth of the Bissett Road -- and me half dead, exhausted, and more hungry than ever.... I promised then and there that she would be cleaned as soon as I could do it. We would make the next leg of this 2,000 mile odyssey we were on, without a trace of this long day on her body! [Promise kept]

The short ride to the restaurant went without further mishap, as did the trip back to the base, although the parking sites were VERY carefully selected and my aluminum plate came out, to be carefully placed under the side stand foot.

------------Next episode: "The Tent," or "Where the hell is everybody?" -----------

The lessons? -- make sure the side stand has a good place to be set down on. Don't go down suspicious looking unfamiliar roads. Keep a Velcro strap to lock the front brake when you can't reach it..... Grow longer legs... Anything else LiSTers?

Regards, John (DoubleO, Double TipSTer)

Last edited:
OP
OP
John OoSTerhuis

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
This is the first time I've done this... hopefully there'll be a few old, poorly scanned pictures (below) from my Bissett, MB adventure. In my 13 years of STridership, including our AlaskaSTOC/ArcticCircle'01 expedition, I've never seen a dirtier ST1100. :eek:

Regards, John OoSTerhuis STOC 1058

Attachments

Last edited:

Putt

R.I.P. - 2009/05/29
Rest In Peace
STOC #
How come you let your bike get that dirty, John??
:crackup

Putt..

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Thanks, John!

You need a KLR. They aren't completly happy unless they are pig dirty. And insead of cleaning, you just knock the big chunks off...So they won't stop the wheels:)

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Great story.

There's nothing slippier than a thoroughly soaked dirt road. I'm surprised you survived the black flies. I've only been to Manitoba in the dead of winter, but I understand that the mosquito and black fly populations are off the charts. Big, juicy and hungry mosquiteos double as the provincial bird.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I befriended a fellow ST rider who lives in rural Manitoba, an hour and a bit south of Winnipeg. To get to his house you need to ride 5 kms on “gravel” roads. ( I travel to Winnipeg in the fall and spring to stage manage operas). In the spring has to be the greatest challenge riding and navigating with an ST on this road as what appears underneath the gravel is black gooey clay like substance that tries and swallows the front wheel of your bike. Ian has mastered these roads...he happily rides them at 60-80kmh maintaining a loose grip on the bars. He says that’s the secret.....i on the other hand barely get above 50kmh. I have come close to falling over....those roads are just EVIL! Really evil.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Sounds like a good ad for the Worrell parking brake (did he make one for the 1100?)

Top Bottom