dremel accessories

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
All kinds of Dremel accessory knockoffs on Amazon, as well as Harbor Freight, for lots less $$. . Cut off wheels and grinding stones in particular. Are they any good?

We have three Dremels ... mostly because I couldn't find it, so went out and bought another.

I only buy Dremel OEM , so can't comment on the knock-offs. Don't skimp !

Here's some of my special workhorse bits ... cut off blades, grinder, rotary (ball) cutter, diamond bit, etc)

1000005493-01.jpeg

Last edited:

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I've used both. Mostly because I encounter a deal that's too good to pass up, especially on assorted bits in a kit. But I always have OEM Dremel equivalents on hand. OEM is dependable and usually performs better. Plus I really like the Dremel EZ Lock.

But the ones I've decided to simply go with the cheap knock offs are the flappy wheel sanding drums and the wire wheels and brushes. I bought an assortment of steel wire wheels and brushes; 99 pcs for $20USD; $0.20 ea!

Then there's the set with copper wire wheels and brushes, along with three different grades of Scotch-brite knockoff material as polishing wheels and some 80 grit flappy sanding drums. 90 pcs for $16.99USD.

These items get the job done fine and service life indistinguishable from OEM... Maybe the wire wheels are rendered bare a little faster than OEM. Then again, maybe not? I bought an assortment of carbide bits for fine and rough shaping, but I haven't subjected them any torture tests yet.

The one accessory I'd highly recommend, especially with the wire wheels and cut-off disks would be the "dremel grinder cover" (search that on amazon). When you're cutting a lot with swarf or sparks flying, these keep it under control. It also let's me position the part and the tool in the best orientation without needing to manage where the debris flies.

Currently a set of 4 for about 11 or 12 bucks.

1698904004110.png

I love my Dremels. I've got three rotary tools, with the oldest going back to the early 1970s when my dad bought one, ostensibly for him, but I used it at least as much when building model cars. They didn't have built-in speed control back then so he rigged up a rheostat in a steel quad box at the end of a cord for a ghetto speed control. He used it mostly for drilling through PC boards which we made in-house.

My dad was a professional photographer, so we were making circuit layouts or copying them from the enthusiast mags of the day, like Popular Electronics, producing a mask using high contrast 4x5 litho film and then contact printing onto photoresist coated copper PC boards which we then etched. Little did I know that that was essentially what I'd be doing the next 40+ years! (I'm a microlithographer by profession :) ) Good times

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Mostly because I encounter a deal that's too good to pass up, especially on assorted bits in a kit.
Single use or few use bits on the cheap make sense. Saving the higher-end bits until needed is a good plan. There are many situations where cheap is good as high-end to get the job done and industrial diamond cutting wheels would be overkill.

LOTS of good info in your post. I have a Craftsman Nextec Dremel wannabe. I need to check to see if Dremel kit would work with my "dremel". Thanks for the intel.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I have a Dremel purchased about 45 years ago, still works great. I also have an inexpensive HF kit purchased about 5 years ago for the cottage.

For me, these are infrequently used tools, but nice to have when you need one, I have a mix of Dremel accessories + the relatively cheap knock offs ones that usually come in a kit for $20 - $25. No doubt the Dremel ones work better or last longer, but for my limited needs the cheap ones work fine.

Josh_ST

I love my 2 wheeled therapy machine!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
These things have been AWESOME, and hold up to use great! And WAY cheaper than the OEM ones...

TEMO 100 pc 1-1/2 Inch Reinforced Fiberglass Cutoff Wheel Disc with Two 1/8 Inch Mandrel, for Dremel Rotary Tools

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I don’t have any experience with the non OEM fittings, but my Dremel has saved me a lot of hassle in the past. I recently used it to cut off the steering stem race (cut through ~ 7/8 of it on one side, and I guess it heated it making it come off easily) as well as cutting through the tire bead on the scooter (I couldn’t get that bead to go over the rim when I changed the tire recently).

Top Bottom