Drive flange supprize...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Had to deal with a 1300 today, officially only tire change... right...

so some joker used white grease on the splines... seriously?!!
Bearing failure was unavoidable though...

IMG_20230729_142834.jpg

quite some wear...

IMG_20230729_142857.jpg

picking out debris... seal, splinters from the cage...

IMG_20230729_145913.jpg

According to the owner was the last tire change done in a motorcycle workshop... thanks a lot...

They'd also snapped two exhaust clamp bolts, but didn't find the decency to inform the owner...
I'd to remove the clamps, drill out the stubs, re-tap the threads, seek new bolts out my stash, now installed with copper-slip...

The fella wants to leave for Scandinavia this Saturday (hence the short notice tire change), now he has to first chase for those bearings and we'll have to schedule an emergency repair at some evening this week...

Is it really that hard to use the proper lubricants when working on those motorcycles?

Last edited:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Some motorcycle shops think that is alright to you any grease on the splines. Make sure to check the inner wheel bearings on the rear wheel and also the front wheel bearings.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
And here, children, we have Reason #835 for why NOT to entrust your 20yo motorcycle to just any dealer for routine service.
Preferably none of them, how are you supposed to bond with your bike if someone else always changes its diapers or puts clothes on it?
I would give those pics to your bike buddy, and have him show them to the servicing dealer.
That is ST abuse.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Had to deal with a 1300 today, officially only tire change... right...

so some joker used white grease on the splines... seriously?!!
Bearing failure was unavoidable though...

IMG_20230729_142834.jpg

quite some wear...

IMG_20230729_142857.jpg

picking out debris... seal, splinters from the cage...

IMG_20230729_145913.jpg

According to the owner was the last tire change done in a motorcycle workshop... thanks a lot...

They'd also snapped two exhaust clamp bolts, but didn't found the decency to inform the owner...
I'd to remove the clamps, drill out the stubs, re-tap the threads, seek new bolts out my stash, now installed with copper-slip...

The fella wants to leave for Scandinavia this Saturday (hence the short notice tire change), now he has to first chase for those bearings and we'll have to schedule an emergency repair at some evening this week...

Is it really that hard to use the proper lubricants when working on those motorcycles?
Pull the spline plate off the wheel, and replace the inner o ring as well, and check for hub damage.
Make sure paste is used on the inner cup side as wellZ

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Pull the spline plate off the wheel, and replace the inner o ring as well, and check for hub damage.
Make sure paste is used on the inner cup side as wellZ
Will take the whole thing apart once we've the spares avail...

I'm fed up though, IMO the splines heated up due the increased friction, liquefying the grease in the bearings, causing them to fail...
Seems I need to stock ST1300 "consumables" too, just in case...

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
At least if you're going to lend a hand and a wrench, while helping others.
You know what YOU got, but you never know what THEY bring in.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Will take the whole thing apart once we've the spares avail...

I'm fed up though, IMO the splines heated up due the increased friction, liquefying the grease in the bearings, causing them to fail...
Seems I need to stock ST1300 "consumables" too, just in case...
Never hurts to have a few parts on hand….just in case :rofl1:

Attachments

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Never hurts to have a few parts on hand….just in case :rofl1:
I have a habit of buying extras whenever I need to replace a consumable or wear prone part, especially those that are becoming difficult to find. I've had the 1100 for nine years now and this has certainly helped me quickly turn the bike around a time or two. Not so much for the 1300 except for service items....yet.

And here, children, we have Reason #835 for why NOT to entrust your 20yo motorcycle to just any dealer for routine service.
Preferably none of them, how are you supposed to bond with your bike if someone else always changes its diapers or puts clothes on it?
I would give those pics to your bike buddy, and have him show them to the servicing dealer.
That is ST abuse.
I agree, also i don't know how anyone can ride at 70-80 mph and not know for sure that all bearings are greased, final drive has got the proper paste on it and nothing is likely to fall off due to not being tightened correctly etc :(

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
The owner of this bike said nothing felt wrong or different on his bike….
I recounted the story of my girlfriend (about 55 years ago) who drove down the freeway at 60 mph on the right rear wheel rim and thought nothing was wrong. The tire had gone flat and self destructed. Maybe she and this guy hooked up?

Top Bottom