OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Cleaned up, bearings replaced, all put back together with proper lube...

The affair took less then an hour...

IMG_20230802_165255.jpg

BTW: those bearings are closed on one side only, installed them with their open sides facing and packed them with some extra grease (the amount of original transparent grease seemed a bit low...)
The spacer/collar showed a little rust, polished off with some abrasive fleece, slight film of waterproof grease as conservator should prevent that now...

PS: that bearing driver kit in the left (steel disks in 1mm steps) is worth it's weight in gold :cool:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Hope you added grease that was compatible with the grease in the bearing.
Some grease’s don’t play well together.

Had to deal with a 1300 today, officially only tire change... right...

so some joker used white grease on the splines... seriously?!!
Bearing failure was unavoidable though...

IMG_20230729_142834.jpg

quite some wear...

IMG_20230729_142857.jpg

picking out debris... seal, splinters from the cage...

IMG_20230729_145913.jpg

According to the owner was the last tire change done in a motorcycle workshop... thanks a lot...

They'd also snapped two exhaust clamp bolts, but didn't find the decency to inform the owner...
I'd to remove the clamps, drill out the stubs, re-tap the threads, seek new bolts out my stash, now installed with copper-slip...

The fella wants to leave for Scandinavia this Saturday (hence the short notice tire change), now he has to first chase for those bearings and we'll have to schedule an emergency repair at some evening this week...

Is it really that hard to use the proper lubricants when working on those motorcycles?

A couple of years back I bought a " well by the dealer maintained" Honda Shadow 2007.
The owner took the bike to the Honda dealer for a new rear tire.
When I got in possession of the bike I check everything before hitting the road, guess what, the spline was completely dry.
Dealers....

Top Bottom