Dropped it today

I was in the DMV parking lot this morning waiting for the inspection, thinking about the paperwork, title, where I put my flashlight, the cute girl in the car next to me.......but mostly the paperwork. I started to lean it onto the side stand, and realized I didn't have it down a little too late. I was able to set it down gently, but it was very embarassing. Only a few scuffs on the tipover wing.

I needed help to pick it back up though. Any tips for doing this myself?

Omega.Rider

Weapons-grade stupid
Bike
98 ST1100
STOC #
With the bike on it's side, crouch down with the small of your back against the saddle. With your right hand, grab the low-side handle bar. With your left hand, grab the flip-out handle that you use to put the bike on the center stand. With those two solid grips, just slowly walk backwards until you have the bike upright. (Um, the way I wrote this, I assumed the bike on it's left-hand side. Once you see the method though, you'll be able to do it either side with a slight adjustment.)

Do it that way and it's easy as can be.

HINT: if the bike fell on it's right side, put the kickstand down before you lift so that you can just ease the bike up and straight over onto the kickstand.

OP
OP
Ah...that makes sense. Fortunately I had help from someone nearby. Hopefully I won't do it again, but if I do, I'll remember your technique.

Thanks.

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
Just reach down and grab the handlebars and set it back up. Just like a bicycle, It's no Big Deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shezonit

Just a few more miles,eh?
Bike
V-Strom650
STOC #
for embarrassing story file: i was headed for a dinner party-- had told my friend i'd be a little late because i was taking a long day's ride and would arrive on my bike. she has a steep gravel driveway..... you know where this is going, you think? I kept thinking about her driveway... and as i eased off the paved road onto the bottom of her paved driveway---oh so slowly, oh so carefully---- the front tire sunk into the NEW and DEEP gravel and simply stopped, and then .... once that 700 lbs starts to go over, I just have to step off and let it go. so there's my lovely bike on its side, right next to the road and I now have to walk up that ^$%#^&& steep gravel driveway and announce to the party--- I need a couple strong backs???
Mortifying. Left it parked at bottom of hill.... then my friend tells me that some guys rode their cruisers up her driveway the week before, "but they had trouble getting down" oh, really....?

OP
OP
Wouldn't you think that gravel on a steep hill would eventually all end up at the bottom? At least loose gravel would absorb some of the impact though. Hope there wasn't any damage.

Top Bottom