dropped on Right Side

draboo

SpongeBob Ogler
Bike
'10 Spyder RT-S
I ve been reading various posts about folks flopping over with thier ST's. I had an experience with my old Yammy Venture that was..a problem.

I tipped it over on the right side while attempting to park on a lawn. No one saw me ( You know the drill..jump up, look right/left for onlookers, congratulate yourself when you see no one/proceed),so I wrenched it upright.

*WHEW* THAT was a chore.( Wish I would have read the thread on this forum about how to "undrop" a heavy motorcycle before that happened.:D)

Now, here I am standing on a lawn on the right side of a heavy motorcycle. The kickstand isnt down, and I cant throw my leg over the damn thing because I m "right-legged" and would just flop over on the left side.

So..what do I do?? I m along side of a road on the lawn of a township hall. I just stand there and wait till the next vehicle comes by, about 5 minutes. Flag him down(at the risk of local ridicule for my neighbor that stopped is also a Venture owner) and have him hold the bike whilst I jog to the left side of the bike. I try, to no avail, to swear him and his bride to secrecy.

Point being, has anyone here ever been in this dilemma? Am I missing some very simple thing I could have done to correct this situation without the pain of embarrassment, not to mention the 5 minutes I wasted standing there waiting for assistance? :confused:

Since the general consensus here is that "everyone who owns an ST drops it at least once" I sure would like some input on any folks who have plopped over on the Right Side.:D

Thanks,eh?

X-YOOPER BRAD

edit:NEVER MIND!!

Last edited:
Bike
None
STOC #
LOL! Unbelievable!:hat2:

Yep! My ST-1100 went down on the right this summer! Just make sure the kick stand is in the down position before lifting! It should catch the bike on the way over to the left! In the case of being in the grass (lawn), don't ride there:rolleyes:

Welcome to the TOT-STer's club!!:toot1:

Bike
None For Now
STOC #
I might have put the sidestand down before hauling it up off its side? (Ha! I see Tom made the same suggestion and he's obviously faster at the keyboard than I am)

In my case, my wife and granddaughter picked mine up and held it while I casually walked around and put the stand down. The 3 neighbors who were watching weren't quick enough. The two girls had it upright before I had stopped rolling. Neighbors never stood a chance of getting a hand on it. :D

I wasn't as lucky as you. Mine happened right at the end of my driveway. I ran out of leg length and ground all at the same time. If your foot is 6" from the ground and the ST goes into its "death lean" it's going down. I just rolled off of it so it didn't fall on my leg and let it go. I am pleased to confirm that the engine auto-kill sensor really does work on the ST.

OP
OP
draboo

draboo

SpongeBob Ogler
Bike
'10 Spyder RT-S
I just purchased this 98 ABS a few weeks ago. The owner(original) claims he never had tipped it over. And by the size of him, around 6ft-5ish, I m thinking he aint lyin'.

I had to sign a contract of sorts, dish over proof of insurance and DL with endorsment, before he would allow me to ride it. Now I understand a bit more his concern with underexperienced riders taking an ST for a test ride.

If you are not prepared for the weight, stay out of of the kitchen!! :D

I ve flopped over every motorycycle I ve owned. Just not this one "yet".

Here is the motorcycle I purchased: 98 ABS I got it for $4700 and am as happy as a clam.:)

OP
OP
draboo

draboo

SpongeBob Ogler
Bike
'10 Spyder RT-S
LOL! Unbelievable!:hat2:

Yep! My ST-1100 went down on the right this summer! Just make sure the kick stand is in the down position before lifting! It should catch the bike on the way over to the left! In the case of being in the grass (lawn), don't ride there:rolleyes:

Welcome to the TOT-STer's club!!:toot1:
There ya go. I knew I was missing something major as I was standing there counting the minutes...LAWL!

Bike
None
STOC #
I just purchased this 98 ABS a few weeks ago. The owner(original) claims he never had tipped it over. And by the size of him, around 6ft-5ish, I m thinking he aint lyin'.

I had to sign a contract of sorts, dish over proof of insurance and DL with endorsment, before he would allow me to ride it. Now I understand a bit more his concern with underexperienced riders taking an ST for a test ride.

If you are not prepared for the weight, stay out of of the kitchen!! :D

I ve flopped over every motorycycle I ve owned. Just not this one "yet".

Here is the motorcycle I purchased: 98 ABS I got it for $4700 and am as happy as a clam.:)
Unbelievable!:hat2:

That's one pertty bike ya got there!!! Of coarse I might be a little bias...:rolleyes:...mines a 98 too!!

I named it Hoss but more often it gets called the big pig, especially if'n I need ta move it around the garage or driveway!! DOH!

Wouldn't trade it for anything cept maybe a blue 04 1300...:a13:

Top Bottom