Dual compound tires

I have a set of Dunlop dual compound tires that wore too quickly on the sides of the tread. Cupped and I will replace with about 5K miles. Still have ample tread in the middle. No more Dunlop for me. Who makes good old fashion single compound tires?

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
The Bridgestones that I have used are all dual compound but they don't all wear anything like the Dunlops that you describe. For me, the standard BT020s wore down faster in the centre than the sides. The 021s wore the sides faster. The T30,31,32 have all been good for wear between sides and centre. Each version improving longevity a tad.

But it depends on your riding style, sidewall strength for heavier bikes, suspension damping and correct inflation.

Sorry, I've not answered your question: I don't know.

Bike
VStrom 650
I think you'll be missing a trick if you fit tyres that have older technology than your bike.
Fit the latest Bridgestones just like Mr.Heath intimated and forget about them. They wear even and stick like sh.t to a blanket. Nuff said.
But the choice is yours.
Oh no, a tyre thread :eek:.
Upt'North.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I think you'll be missing a trick if you fit tyres that have older technology than your bike.
Fit the latest Bridgestones just like Mr.Heath intimated and forget about them. They wear even and stick like sh.t to a blanket. Nuff said.
But the choice is yours.
Oh no, a tyre thread :eek:.
Upt'North.
Tires have plies, not threads, Ray. :rofl1: I remember an Aussie first using the expression about defecant sticking to blankets recently...did he get it from Merrie Old England or did you purloin it from Down Under? :rofl1:

Who makes good old fashion single compound tires?
Most of the tire mfrs brag about their multiple compound tires so I doubt that single hardness tires will be easily available. If you are having wear problems with modern tires while most every other ST does not, I would think you are facing a maintenance issue and not a tire issue. Better check your suspension, triple clamp, steering head bearings, etc. for wear. Many of us have had cupping, but it is not usually so severe that it limits the tire's life, and most issues can be traced to the factors I mentioned, tire pressure, or even brand/tread pattern. In this case, YMMV.

Bike
VStrom 650
Tires have plies, not threads, Ray. :rofl1: I remember an Aussie first using the expression about defecant sticking to blankets recently...did he get it from Merrie Old England or did you purloin it from Down Under? :rofl1:
It's definitely Anglo Saxon.

Bike
2022 BMW RT 1250
... and/or no highway riding.
IMO, tire life, along with proper maintenance, greatly depends on the type of riding you mostly do. Highway riding generally will provide longer tire life. Considering the weight of ST's, riding the twisties will generally provide shorter tire life. Tire choice is a tradeoff between longevity and safety. MC tires could be made to provide tens of thousands of miles, however, they would provide very little in safety (think of trying to ride on a tire made of porcelain). Race tires provide great grip (assuming you ride hard enough to warm them properly) but wear out extremely fast. I tend to get about 6500 miles out of the Michelien PR4's I use. As I generally only ride the canyons, they always wear in a V pattern with plenty of the center remaining. Again, tire life is a tradeoff, varying degrees of longevity v safety. For the type of riding I do, I am more than willing to sacrifice tire longevity for my safety & longevity. YOMV :)

OP
OP
hydraulicguy
Sounds like too-low air pressure and/or no highway riding.
Nope

Most of the tire mfrs brag about their multiple compound tires so I doubt that single hardness tires will be easily available. If you are having wear problems with modern tires while most every other ST does not, I would think you are facing a maintenance issue and not a tire issue. Better check your suspension, triple clamp, steering head bearings, etc. for wear. Many of us have had cupping, but it is not usually so severe that it limits the tire's life, and most issues can be traced to the factors I mentioned, tire pressure, or even brand/tread pattern. In this case, YMMV.
No maintenance issues, what is YMMV?

The Bridgestones that I have used are all dual compound but they don't all wear anything like the Dunlops that you describe. For me, the standard BT020s wore down faster in the centre than the sides. The 021s wore the sides faster. The T30,31,32 have all been good for wear between sides and centre. Each version improving longevity a tad.

But it depends on your riding style, sidewall strength for heavier bikes, suspension damping and correct inflation.

Sorry, I've not answered your question: I don't know.
Thank you for good information

2– up riding?
Nope

Bridgestone Battlax t32gt's have been working great for me!
Thats the tire that I took off and replaced with the Dunlop. Got about 8K with normal wear. The usual cupping

IMO, tire life, along with proper maintenance, greatly depends on the type of riding you mostly do. Highway riding generally will provide longer tire life. Considering the weight of ST's, riding the twisties will generally provide shorter tire life. Tire choice is a tradeoff between longevity and safety. MC tires could be made to provide tens of thousands of miles, however, they would provide very little in safety (think of trying to ride on a tire made of porcelain). Race tires provide great grip (assuming you ride hard enough to warm them properly) but wear out extremely fast. I tend to get about 6500 miles out of the Michelien PR4's I use. As I generally only ride the canyons, they always wear in a V pattern with plenty of the center remaining. Again, tire life is a tradeoff, varying degrees of longevity v safety. For the type of riding I do, I am more than willing to sacrifice tire longevity for my safety & longevity. YOMV :)
Safety is my main concern as well. thus, the reason I am going replace Dunlops. What is YOMV?

Bike
R1200rt
I do as little maintenance as possible and I get 18k on my tires. Yea I check my tire pressure once a month, never touched my forks or shock and I ride a bit of everything and rode many miles in rain.

Top Bottom