Dumbest Question

STOC #
Okay, I'll admit it. This could be the dumbest question, ever, on this board. How do you guys check tire pressure and then after checking pressure, how do you fill the tires to the proper specs ? To give you some history, so you all don't think I'm completely out of my mind, only partially, I went and got a tire gauge that looks like a pen. I couldn't use that on the back tire as there is not enough room. So, off to Wal Mart to buy a circular gauge. Got that, and with some effort, was able to read pressure, somewhat. Still not sure of the accuracy of the readings because I had to bend the valve stem in order to get it on. Okay, there I am with a suspect reading, but a reading nonetheless, and I try to fill the tire and I can't because the head of the compressor hose is like a pen, also. No room to get it on the valve stem. After you all are done laughing, how do you guys who actually use the right side of their brains, do this ? I feel so stupid that if I could figure out how to submit a thread anonymously, I would have.

Royws

I use a pen type gauge that is fairly accurate with a 45 degree angle tip. To inflate I use an electric pump with a standard chuck with a lever. I cut off about 1/2" of the lever so that it fits better on the back wheel valve. I use the Campbell/Nausfield inflator, it works well- see Calsci link.

Calsci

Bike
SV1000S
I bought a 'digital' pen type guage at Target for $3.00
Not only does it have a flat tip, but the other end will also measure tire tread depth.
Normal pen type guages can be a pain to use on the ST. If you use a pen type guage, try to get one with a square psi indicator. I read somewhere the blade type isn't as accurate.
The ST rims leave a lot to be desired in terms of filling with air. Gotta use the right chuck in
the compressor....

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
My digital tester has a 90 degree end on it. Fits right in there with no bending of the valve stem. They're not quite as common as the shooting stick pen type but most auto parts stores have `em.

I meant to install 90 degree valve stems at my last tire change but forgotto hand them off to my dealer. Next time.

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
If you're ever faced with the 6" long combo (straight/45) chuck most service stations use you can go down through the top of the hub, angle to one side of the axle or the other, depending on where your valve stem is, and come straight down on top of the stem through the hole directly above it. Remove the right saddle bag top do the rear. :cool:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I have a round guage with a 45 Deg chuck. And while at Amewricade got a great deal on wireless tire pressure sensors. Can't wait to install them. :D

Putt

R.I.P. - 2009/05/29
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Picked this one up at Auto Zone,
Holds the pressure reading till you hit the release button, you can
also bleed down the tire by holding the chuck on the valve stem
and hitting the small button on the meter stem.. Works great,
was around 20 bucks or so..

Putt...

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Putt said:
Picked this one up at Auto Zone,
Holds the pressure reading till you hit the release button, you can
also bleed down the tire by holding the chuck on the valve stem
and hitting the small button on the meter stem.. Works great,
was around 20 bucks or so..

Putt...
That's the same one I have and it works great...

Bike
04ST1300A
STOC #
Why do my tires need air frequently???

In other words, to look at them off the C-stand--they look fine. When I put my gauge to them...32 PSI. *****?? So, I apply my B& D compressor and fill to 42 PSI. Go for a brief ride, park on C-stand for 4 days....check the pressure for kicks.....32 PSI. ***** again???

Is this the norm??

--Anonymous
04ST1300A
STOC# 5197
:04biker:

Putt

R.I.P. - 2009/05/29
Rest In Peace
STOC #
AZST said:

In other words, to look at them off the C-stand--they look fine. When I put my gauge to them...32 PSI. *****?? So, I apply my B& D compressor and fill to 42 PSI. Go for a brief ride, park on C-stand for 4 days....check the pressure for kicks.....32 PSI. ***** again???

Is this the norm??

--Anonymous
04ST1300A
STOC# 5197
AZ,

Both sets of tires, the Battleaxes, and now the Z6/880 combination
both have held air.. I lost more air checking them everyday than
what leaked naturally out of them... Let it set for about a month
over the winter, no air loss....

Putt..

CruisingDog

CRZNDOG
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
AZST said:

Is this the norm??

--Anonymous
04ST1300A
STOC# 5197

The other factors to consider are where and when you are measuring them. Temperature and altitude play a big factor. An altitude of 10000ft will increase your tire pressure by about a half again (ie 1.5x).

[Generally] The atmospheric pressure decreases as you increase altitude, therefore the relative pressure of your tire to the atmosphere increases (ie your tire will get harder as you increase altitude).

Just plug some altitudes into this ansd you'll see what happens (the atmospheric pressure goes down at higher elevations!)

http://www.personal.usyd.edu.au/~gerhard/pressure.html

In the example above, if you set your tire pressure to 42psi at Sea Level, and assuming the weather & temp. stays the same, you travel up the mountains to 10000 ft [~3000m], your tire pressure will now be 42/0.6667 = 63psi!!

What this amounts to is if you keep taking readings in different places at different altitudes you're gonna be getting different readings when you get home!!.

Also this is a warning for those of you who do some high-low altitude riding, you should check your pressures on the way up and on the way down [not at the top or the bottom!!!].

Last edited:
Have 45 deg. valve stems installed next time you change tires.
You can buy a digital tire gauge that has a 90deg bend or get the standard gauge w/45deg angle.
To fill the tires,especially the back you need a low profile 90deg air valve.
My girlfriend has a Husky portable air compressor. it works great. you can picl them up at Home Depot for about $100.0 . Much more convenient than searching for air at service stations. Most places charge you these days also.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
rwl1955 said:
Have 45 deg. valve stems installed next time you change tires.
You can buy a digital tire gauge that has a 90deg bend or get the standard gauge w/45deg angle.
To fill the tires,especially the back you need a low profile 90deg air valve.
My girlfriend has a Husky portable air compressor. it works great. you can picl them up at Home Depot for about $100.0 . Much more convenient than searching for air at service stations. Most places charge you these days also.
I hope you don't have problems w/45 degree stems... On the Valk and Wings the 90 degree stems would cause loss of air if the little plastic support piece that clips to the wheel and holds the end of the stem broke off.

At 45 degrees, a speeding wheel may or may not make the stem bend a little.. but, keep an eye out for it, it might cause the stem to crack after an extended period of time, othewise, might be the perfect thing to do during a tire change.. let us know how it works over time...

I got the 45 deg. stems from California Sport touring. they`re chrome.

My tires lose air also. I have to check them weekly.

I have a foot actuated pump with an analog gauge that I keep in the garage. 15.00 bucks at Wallyworld. Works like a champ. Small and compact, I can haul it along on road trips. Along with a repair kit, you're never without air no matter where you're stranded. No need to rely on Co2.

Top Bottom