Dunlop Sportmax Tires

Bike
"Ole Girl"
Whats up fella's!

I have been reading alot of your previous post and was not able to find the answers I was looking for so I hope this isn't a repost and if it is would some one please post the link so that I may follow up on my delimma.

Got a 2 part question,

PART A

As stated in the introduction my bike was inherited from my Dad and has been a labor of love. Now I am going to take off on my first trip with "Ole Girl" and I have a couple of questions:

The bike was garage kept and the tires were made accordinng to the date codes in June and July of 2008. They were mounted in 2009 and have about 2,200 miles on them. My trip is going to be around 4,500 to 5,000 miles. I am hitting the indy GP then making my way across the badlands to Colorado and Utah and back. My question is what is the normal life of these tires cuz I have no experience with them. and would you go ahead and replace them before the trip and save them for a rainy day or go with what I got and just replace on the road if necessary?

PART B

This is my first trip on the ST, I looked in the previous post and found reference to a "sound" tool kit for an extended trip, but could find no listing of items in said "tool kit". Does somone have a list or a previous post of the contents of a complete trip kit? My GS had the best tool kit I have ever seen come with a bike and only a few things were needed to add. My dad, somehow lost his that came with the bike but I was able to pick one up on fleabay. So now I am just asking what I need to do to make it complete from your experiences.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Bike
ST1300
I'm averaging about 15,000 miles on a RoadSmart rear and 17,000 on the front.

As for the 'tool kit' - Did you find a single allen wrench in a plastic packet under the seat? That's the 'Tool' in the 'Kit' ... I think the Japanese have a very dry sense of humor.

2005RedRider

Still ridin'
Bike
2014 Harley FLHTCU
I'm averaging about 15,000 miles on a RoadSmart rear and 17,000 on the front.

As for the 'tool kit' - Did you find a single allen wrench in a plastic packet under the seat? That's the 'Tool' in the 'Kit' ... I think the Japanese have a very dry sense of humor.

I don't get it. I've got Dunflop Roadfailures and I'm only getting about 9,000 miles on the rear tire and maybe 12,000 on the front. :cool: I don't ride fast, but I do live in an area with alot of twisties. :rolleyes:

Looks like it's time to go to the Darkside!

Dale :D

Bike
04 ST1300 ABS
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
The Dunlops are not the favorite but 8k rear and 10-12k front is about the min as evidenced by posts over the years

OEM Bridgestones about the same but less front cupping... avoid the 023 BS! 6.3k on a rear

notice the blue route does not loop back to Billings... the tire left me high and dry... I had never hauled an ST in well over 100k

OP
OP
Jarhead
Bike
"Ole Girl"
Sounds like I will be OK on the tires and Yes, I did find the allen head wrench. I guess I will just kinda spread things out with the basics as far as the tool kit goes, ratchet open ends 8, 10, 12, 13 and 15 and an adj wrench for larger and then of course a 5mm allen to go along. Any other suggestions? Leatherman/sog tool, needle nose vice grips, pneumatic (CO2) plug kit etc.

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
If you are ok with having to get a tire change in the middle of your trip go for it, otherwise I would swap them out.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
If you keep the tires inflated at 42psi you will be fine on those for your trip. When you get back you might want to consider a different tire than that version of the Dunlops. Most posts that I've encountered on this site about those tires were not very favorable.

As far as the tool kit is concerned, I guess it depends on what you want to acomplish. Some of the must haves on this bike would be: 5, 6, 8, 17mm hex wrench; 8, 10, 12, 14, 22, 27mm sockets or wrenches (the 22 and 27mm needed for front and rear wheels); screwdrivers; pliers. I prefer a small compressor pump verses the air cartridges (make sure the engine is running when you use it). A couple pair of nitrile gloves might come in handy.

I saw the pictures of your bike from your first thread. Nice looking bike and workshop...

OP
OP
Jarhead
Bike
"Ole Girl"
Thanks

Appreciate the info on the tools! Yeah, I haven't heard anything great about them (Dunlop tires) either, this is one reason I am leaning toward rolling on these and replacing them with something else when I get back.

Top Bottom