STOC #
I dont know if is the right place or not, i was wondering where some of you
mount your E-Z Pass tag? Thanks Peterz

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Do a search and you'll find several discussions on it.

Mine's mounted permanently inside the upper cowl: CLICKY

--Mark

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I like mine mounted in back of the ABS plastic under windshield. Can't see it (won't be stolen) and works just fine 

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Mine's under the windshield garnish, too, but a bit lower and to the right (from the riders POV) because I've got something in the way up top.

Bike
None For Now
STOC #
Texas has gone to a stick on "decal" with the tiny RFID chip sandwiched between the layers. They say that if it isn't mounted (like a decal) properly it won't work at all. They go on to say that "holding it in your hand" or "waving it at the sensor" is just wasting your time. That pretty much narrows the mounting location down to "affixed to the windscreen" somewhere. They also caution that if it is mounted "within one inch" of a metal part, it won't function properly and they warn that if you try to remove it once it is stuck to the screen, it will be destroyed. They don't offer any specific placement suggestions (locations) though.

They do offer to "test any mounting location you would like to use" (to be sure it will work) before you mount the decal if you can ride into any of their service centers. That's a 100 mile ride for me, so I just stuck mine on the screen and I'll find out the hard way if it works or not next time I hit a Texas tollroad. I never could find a spot on the ST that the old "brick" type sensor would work from so I'm hoping this one will be better. :)

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I have mine stuck to the underside of my top box lid.
It's out of sight and out of the bad weather as well.

rbs

Bike
08 ST
STOC #
The lady at the eztag office told me to just put it in the side pocket so thats where I keep it.
The hard plastic ones are still recommended for motorcycles.

Bike
None For Now
STOC #
The lady at the eztag office told me to just put it in the side pocket so thats where I keep it.
The hard plastic ones are still recommended for motorcycles.
My old hard brick tag wouldn't trigger the sensors no matter what I did with it. I tried putting it in the following places:
shirt pocket
jacket pocket (side and chest)
ST "glove box" (both sides)
velcro to the windscreen (may have had it too low/close to the dash, but by this time I was ready to give up - so I did)

I've never used a tankbag but seems to me that would have been a logical place to put it if I DID have one.

I'm anxious to find out if the decal type works any better for me.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Texas has gone to a stick on "decal" with the tiny RFID chip sandwiched between the layers.
In Houston, they still issue the old types for motorcycles, the ones that are about 1/2" thick. I keep mine in the right fairing pocket of my ST1100. Works just fine. I also have one for my VFR that I keep in my tank bag.

Bike
St1300
I put mine in the breast pocket of my Aerostich and it did NOT work at all. Any body else try this? If it didn't work there, I doubt that it would work in the fairing pocket or tank bag. The unit is less than 1 yr old so it should be plenty strong.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Texas has gone to a stick on "decal" with the tiny RFID chip sandwiched between the layers. They say that if it isn't mounted (like a decal) properly it won't work at all. They go on to say that "holding it in your hand" or "waving it at the sensor" is just wasting your time. That pretty much narrows the mounting location down to "affixed to the windscreen" somewhere. They also caution that if it is mounted "within one inch" of a metal part, it won't function properly and they warn that if you try to remove it once it is stuck to the screen, it will be destroyed. They don't offer any specific placement suggestions (locations) though.
So you can no longer move it between vehicles? Do they charge you a fee for each one you get?

ST-VTX

Iron Butt Assoc. member#31177
Bike
'05 ST 1300
I simply use my favorite tool...velcro. I have a piece attached to my brake fluild reservior. The EZ-pass (Sunpass for FL) works great up there, and can be easily removed. However the underside of the top box sounds great, will have to try it.

Gandolkf

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Wing
STOC #
[QUOTE=Stook;814028
shirt pocket
jacket pocket (side and chest)
ST "glove box" (both sides)
velcro to the windscreen (may have had it too low/close to the dash, but by this time I was ready to give up - so I did)

Ditto sticker on winshield works

Bike
None For Now
STOC #
So you can no longer move it between vehicles? Do they charge you a fee for each one you get?
In Texas, it has always been illegal to move the device between vehicles. You must have one specific tag for each vehicle and you must "register" that vehicle by make, model, color and license plate number. Doing otherwise "may result in a fine."

You can have as many tags as you want (there is no charge for tags) but if you have 4 or more active tags at the same time, the minimum deposit goes from $40 to $80. Other than that, get one for every car, truck, bike you have. If you're like me and change windscreens between summer and winter, you'll need extras for that too.

I'm not aware of anyone ever being fined for using a tag in the "wrong" vehicle, but my strong hunch is that if you did it often enough they would "tag" you.

The cameras recorded my bike license plate number each time I went past a sensor and even though the tag never triggered the green light, the charge always showed up on my toll usage statement. No free rides in Texas! :)

Bike
None For Now
STOC #
I put mine in the breast pocket of my Aerostich and it did NOT work at all. Any body else try this? If it didn't work there, I doubt that it would work in the fairing pocket or tank bag. The unit is less than 1 yr old so it should be plenty strong.
I tried the breast pocket location too, and it didn't work for the Texas Tolltag either. My hunch is that due to the "forward leaning" ride position on the ST, my body shielded the RFID chip and the sensors couldn't detect it.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Locking velcro stuff on the left side fairing pocket cover works for me.
It's on a commuter plan (only 1 tag allowed) so I can't permanently mount it.
+1 on Blrfl's link which has detailed information.

STOC #
Years ago I use to drive limos. The company would not supply tags and I hated getting stuck in cash lanes. So I just used mine and would get reimbursed from the company.

I drove a Hummer Stretch, Lincoln Stretch and then my truck. Coming back from an airport with a client, they stopped me and confiscated it because of the vehicle. I must have triggered something somewhere so they were watching for it because the cop was waiting for me on the other side of the toll plaza.

So yeah, they do know when you are switching vehicles.

FYI: There was talk and a lot of balk that NYS was going to begin issuing speeding tickets if the time between tolls exceeded the speed limit. Fearing a surge in people turning in the tags, requiring the state to hire more toll collectors, they dropped the plan.

Big Brother is watching:D Anyone know about the "black boxes" they have been installing in a number of cars for the last few years?

Top Bottom