Easy to install Acc Shelf?

Bike
2015 Honda VFR ABS
STOC #
I posted this here, because I didn't know where my accessory shelf ? would fit in the sub-forums.

Anyway... I'm looking for somewhere to install a radar detector I just got, and the easiest method would be to use my RAM setup on either handlebar, but that's kind of awkward. I'd really like to put it on top of the ST1300's dash behind the windshield, but it looks like I'd need some kind of shelf setup. Are there any easy (prefer not to take apart the fairing) to install ST1300 shelfs available? Or... is there some kind of flat plate that I could mount to the dash and put the radar unit on it?

Any info or advice appreciated! :bow1:

~Ron

Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
My radar mount solution

Here's a pic of what I did to mount my Valentine One on the dash--without using the shelf. It's just a small block of balsa wood that I "shaped" to fit the dash, then attached with velcro. A little velcro on top and on the bottom of the radar detector and you're in business. Holds very well at all speeds. I've powered it through the 12-v power port in the right side fairing, but recently hard wired it (the cord going into the fairing pocket made it hard to keep the pocket cover closed.

Oh yeah, I painted the balsa wood black to make it look slightly less like the grade school art project it actually is :)

Mark

Attachments

OP
OP
Rambler358
Bike
2015 Honda VFR ABS
STOC #
Thanks all - I've ordered a "Ron Smith Dash Shelf", and should hopefully have it sometime next week. I don't have the tools to make a standalone radar mount, and I may need to install some other things as well.

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I followed the link, Calsport states this shelf will fit the ABS model only. How does the dash differ between ABS and Non abs units???:bigpop:
I was wondering that about that ABS only statement my self????

What on the dash and front cowl might be different between the two bikes?

Forest

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I followed the link, Calsport states this shelf will fit the ABS model only. How does the dash differ between ABS and Non abs units???:bigpop:
That statement needs to be updated to say it fits bikes only with the electric shield. The '03 non-ABS models did not come with the powered shield and therefore lacked some kind of brace under the upper dash cover that the shelf attaches to. Since '04 Honda has fitted the power shield as standard to all STs, ABS or not so the shelf will work on all '04 and later ST1300s.

Top Bottom